Buddy's SS up and going 8th part about dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I was also away! Had an open source software meetup...glad Yong was here!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Big bounce this AM. It'll pass ...

3. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I went to bed early last night so I could take Buddy to a early appointment with his vet. He does have a UTI, he said he saw red cells & white cells. I know the white cells deal with infection but I wonder about the red. If you do not have to spend any more time or do any more work, then I would like to see the 3 articles. If you have to do anything else, I will just use what you have already given me. You have already done way toooooo much!!!!

4. Teresa & Buddy

You at a very smart lady. I was so happy that Yong was there and she helped me so much.

5. Teresa & Buddy

Me tooooooooo!!!!

6. Teresa & Buddy

Me tooooooooooooooo!!!!!

7. Teresa & Buddy

I took Buddy to the vet this a.m. and he has a UTI.

8. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

The red cells can be from bladder inflammation caused by the infection. Is Buddy going to be on antibiotics?

9. Teresa & Buddy

.He gave Buddy a convenia injection. He told me what he was going to do, so I asked him if he thought that was the best antibiotic for what Buddy had. He said he did not want to give him pills because they contain sugar. Buddy is very easy to pill and I have always heard each kind of antibiotic is for a different things. Buddy had a convenia shot today and 5u of insulin.

10. Kris & Teasel

The issue with Convenia is that if a kitty doesn't tolerate it well it's in there for several days. Teasel has had pill form antibiotics since he was diagnosed and my vet didn't mention sugar as being a problem. The pills are very small. Yes, there are antibiotics that work better for some infections than others. That's why urine will sometimes be cultured (more costly and urine sample has to be sent out) to see what specific bacteria grow and then a specific antibiotic will be prescribed. Often, though, vets will just give a general antibiotic without that and hope that it does the trick.

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that Buddy isn't feeling well! Convenia isn't really the best antibiotic for a UTI, but it might work...as Kris said, the issue is that it can't get out of the kitty if they don't tolerate it well. Hopefully it will help Buddy!

12. Teresa & Buddy

I know that is true and Buddy will take a pill like it is candy. Buddy has had to take a lot of pills for pancreatitis, he is always more than willing to take a pill.

13. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy has taken Covenia before with no problems and I hope he has no problems this time. However, I did not feel this was the best thing for a UTI.

14. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well if the convenia doesn't work, at least you know you can pill him! :)

15. Kris & Teasel

What a good boy he is! :bighug:

16. Teresa & Buddy

He had convenia last month for a UTI and here he is with either the same or a new UTI. Covenia injections are alright if you cannot pill your pet, but I can pill Buddy with no problems. If there is a next time I will ask him for an antibiotic in pill form for a UTI.

17. Teresa & Buddy

I always use an old pink housecoat of mine and lay it on a table to give Buddy pills, shots or to test him and when ever I put that house coat on the table he will jump up to get on the house coat. If I am pilling 1 of the other cats, Buddy will try to get up on the table also.

18. Kris & Teasel

Maybe it's worth paying for a urine culture to be done to make sure the right antibiotic is being given and you can ask for it in pill form.

19. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that Buddy isn't feeling well. I think you have a good plan to ask for pills if this happens again. Hopefully this time will clear it for him and you won't have to worry about it! I wish my kitties were that easy to pill!

20. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Healing vines for Buddy! [​IMG]:cat:

21. Teresa & Buddy

That is a good idea.

22. Teresa & Buddy

Of all the cats that I've ever called mine, Buddy is the best when it comes to taking meds. He started out taking meds for pancreatitis and he always wanted to take his meds. I have always felt that he knew taking his meds made him feel better

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  23. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you.

24. Teresa & Buddy

@kris & Teasel @Yong @Djamila At PMPS his BG # is 248. He has been taking 5u, do you think he should take that much insulin

25. Djamila

His numbers are still high enough, and he isn't dropping much, so I think he'll be fine with 5u. But remember that you hold the syringe and can do whatever feels best to you.

26. Teresa & Buddy

@Djamil @Kris & Teasel @Yong If any of you are out there Buddy's PMPS was 248, He has been taking 5u., do you think I should give him less. I am not sure what to do.

27. Djamila

And of course....get a mid-cycle test or two to be sure! :)

28. Yong & Maury GA

Sorry I was not able to be on earlier, again >_<. Glad Djamila was here. You had given 4.2U and 4.6U on similar PM numbers so I agree with Djamila that 5.0U probably would've been ok with your usual monitoring. Buddy isn't heavily impacted by 0.2U differences. :)

29. Kris & Teasel

Looks fine, Teresa. You probably could have given 5 u. I know you know this: as the antibiotic takes effect his numbers might come down a bit.

30. Teresa & Buddy

Djamila was right, I should have given 5u. In a moment of being unsure, I gave him 4.4.

31. Kris & Teasel

Every day is a new day, Teresa. How is he feeling withe the antibiotic?

32. Teresa & Buddy

I did raise Buddy's dose this morning. I should have given the 5u on Saturday PMPS, but instead I gave him 4.4.

33. Kris & Teasel

I saw that.

34. Djamila

It's really hard to shoot a full dose on those low numbers. We've all been there! Now you have more data to help the next time.

35. Teresa & Buddy

On Saturday his stools were loose, loose enough that it was all over his hair in the back and got on a lot of different things. His loose stools have stopped and he seems to be feeling better. Knock on wood.

36. Teresa & Buddy

You were right and on Sunday morning his numbers were a little high. I am sure this will happen again, with me in a panic over what to do about his dose.

37. Djamila

Lol...isn't that how we all are? That's why we post here and ask for second and third opinions!

38. Teresa & Buddy

The doctor told me on Saturday to give him a full packet of FortiFlora everyday and if that did not take care of it he would start him on Metronidazola. The FortiFlora did take care of it (thank goodness) that could have been bad waiting to see if it would work.

39. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel @Djamila @Yong
    I just took Buddy's BG he is at 175, I am going to wait 20 min. and take again. I don't think 5.2u would be right dose unless he comes up a lot. I need your input.

40. Yong & Maury GA

Thinking he might need the 4.8U again, only gave it 3 cycles. Also it was 175, not 275 like on SS? I have to get to a job site

41. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,
    Yes, stall without feeding for 20 minutes and retest. You can stall up to an hour total without messing up your dosing schedule. Post here. Your PM data from yesterday isn't showing on your SS.

42. Kris & Teasel

The antibiotic is probably doing its work so his BG is coming down.

43. Teresa & Buddy

I just took again he was at 174, I will post yesterday. Other cat sick yesterday and last night. I will wait again another 20 min.

44. Kris & Teasel

Yes, test again in 20 minutes and post. You can do it a 3rd time but sometimes the BG stays the same or falls slightly because of lack of food.

45. Teresa & Buddy

46. Kris & Teasel

OK. Here's what I've done with Teasel in the past: feed him, wait about 45 minutes and test him again. Based on that BG, a dose can be worked out.

47. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel Sounds like a plan, I really appreciate you being there. I might see what you think about a dose after feeding

48. Kris & Teasel

When you have time, enter all these BG test numbers in the comments section of your SS so you have them for future reference. Eventually, once a dose is decided on, you should change the AMPS number on the SS to the one you actually shot at 45 minutes late.

49. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel Buddy is now at 353, what would you suggest for a dose.

50. Kris & Teasel

When Teasel did this, I dropped his dose 10 - 20%. How about dropping by 1 u to 4.2 u.? That's about 20%. What do you think? I'd aim for a +2 test to see what he's doing.

51. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel I will do this, I must leave to take 1 of my other cats to the vet, they are working me in. I may not be able to do much testing. Do you think that you would still give this dose.

52. Kris & Teasel

Can you fit in the +2 test, Teresa? I think this dose should be OK because it's a lot lower than his recent ones.

53. Teresa & Buddy

I think so. I appreciate you always being there.

54. Kris & Teasel

How is your other kitty, Teresa? I see that pink at +2 on Buddy's SS. I think you can try 5 u tonight. I dropped Teasel's dose only a little next dose time when I used the feed/wait 45 minutes method.

55. Teresa & Buddy

I think she is feeling better, she had been pacing back and forth to her litter box, as things turned out she has a UTI. I did not think of that because last night she was throwing up and had popped several different places outside her litter box. She has been here 15 years, she is blind, she has a heart murmur that she takes Lasix for, 2 years ago she had a nerve sheath tumor that turned out to be a fibro sarcoma. I don't know what I thought was wrong with her. I guess UTI's must be contagious a my house. I will give Buddy 5u tonight, Thank you for all your help.

56. Kris & Teasel

Poor old girl! She's being well taken care of though.

57. Yong & Maury GA

Hope she feels better from the UTI, Teresa :bighug:. Sorry I had to leave this morning, I'm doing some side work to get a little money for Maury's supplies.

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  58. Teresa & Buddy

She really is feeling better and eating a lot. Thank you, for thinking of Red.

59. Teresa & Buddy

She really seems to be feeling better. No problem, we all have things we need to do. I am sorry that I cannot be on FDMB more, but I have too much going on here. The cost of everything is so pricey, even though I use reli-on test strips, I spend too much for them because I test so much. But I got to take care of my Kittys.

60. Kris & Teasel

Nice PSs the last two times, Teresa! :)

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  61. Teresa & Buddy

I am hoping they stay that way. I am hoping his UTI clears up and his BG numbers come down. How is Teasel doing.

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  62. Kris & Teasel

Teasels is fine - bouncy as ever! Thanks for asking. :)

63. Yong & Maury GA

How is yours and Buddy's weekend, Teresa? [​IMG]

64. Teresa & Buddy

It is much better since it has stopped raining. Buddy's BG numbers are higher than I would like for them to be, but he could still have a UTI and he has tooth that needs to be looked at. It is so expensive to have a diabetic cat, I have 2 other cats on medication but nothing compared to what it cost for Buddy. I was on FDMB today looking at the articles you found for us and we appreciate that sooooo much. How are you and your lovely kitty this weekend, I hope you all are well. How about the rest of the kitty girls, do you know how they are this weekend.

65. Yong & Maury GA

We are doing good today, about to upload a video I just took :cat:. Thank you for asking!

66. Kris & Teasel

Doing fine here, Teresa! :)

67. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel I wanted your opinion on something, the same thing happened on either 5/1 or 5/2. At AMPS Buddy's number was 177. instead of waiting 20 min. and taking again, I went ahead and gave him something to eat. I am going to wait around 40 minutes and take again, from this reading I will decide a dose. When this happened before I gave him 4.2, do you think I should give this dose again or change the amount. Both times when this happened Buddy's last dose was 5.2. I am staying home today to watch his numbers.

68. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,
    This is when you have to experiment. If he's going to start giving nice blues at PS you need data on how to handle them. The 4.2 u was safe last time. Do you feel brave enough to try a higher dose this time? Maybe 4.6 u or 4.8 u? You're home to test and steer with food if needed.

69. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel / I did not see your post, so I went ahead and gave him 4.6u. When I did see your post I was glad you mentioned a higher dose. My gut said 4.8u but I chickened out and gave him 4.6u, I did have the conversation we had earlier in the month to go by, which really helped. I value your opinion. I am getting braver because of Buddy's health, trying to get the numbers down.

70. Kris & Teasel

Nice blue at nadir, Teresa!

71. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, he has been running low all day. I am going to take a reading in a minute, last 1 I took he was at 172. Maybe the convenia injection is working.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  72. Yong & Maury GA

Nice PMPS Buddy! :cat:

73. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you very much, this is from Buddy.

74. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

Two things:
    1. Maybe try 4.8 u this AM? Nice numbers yesterday but there's room to come down.
    2. Time for a new thread. :)

75. Teresa & Buddy

Just now logging into FDMB, did not see your message until I had already given injection. I gave him 5u, guess I need to start checking FDMB before shooting. Buddy has been throwing up this morning, I gave him 1/4 cerenia. Hopefully, this will stop the throwing up. Agree to start a new thread.

76. Kris & Teasel

The 5 u will likely be fine, Teresa. I was being cautious when I suggested 4.8 u.

77. Teresa & Buddy

I appreciate your help and trust your judgement. Most of the time I am the one being cautious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.