Buddy's SS up and going questions on how to share info

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pati

Pati Member

Wow, Buddy is having an active cycle. I saw Kris was here to help you. You're in good hands. That is exciting that Buddy is responding so well to the change to wet food. It looks like you'll get to lower his insulin. Of course you probably would rather not have this much excitement.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Could you update your SS when you have a minute, maybe after your 4 PM test?

3. Kris & Teasel

Any new test numbers?

4. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Took it at 4:00 it was @57, gave him FF
    I took a reading @ 4:00 and he was @57, I gave him some FF grilled it has gravy. When should I test again.

5. Kris & Teasel

So far he's staying flat, probably propped up from the dry food, etc. I'd say you could test again at 4:30 PM, post here and then leave him without food after that until you test at 5 PM. We want to see if his BG will stay flat or even begin to rise without the assistance of food. If you dosed him at 8 AM, you're now a little past +8 as we call it (8 hours past the AM dose - we refer to times this way because there are people here from all over the world) and if he's still low that suggests a late/prolonged nadir which can happen when a dose is too high.

Sorry for all the poking you have to do but it's the only way to keep Buddy safe.

6. Teresa & Buddy

He has been eating wet food all along but I took his dry food away today and look what happened.

7. Kris & Teasel

Exactly the reason why we tell people to remove dry food from the diet. It can greatly reduce the BG numbers and need for insulin. Some cats can be managed with a low carb wet food diet alone, no insulin. Imagine what would have happened if you's followed the vet's dosing advice??!!

8. Teresa & Buddy

He is @ 80. Should I do anything. I am going to need to go to Walmart pretty soon and buy test strips. I just want Buddy safe

9. Teresa & Buddy

I know, found that out the night he came home from curve.

10. Kris & Teasel

Hurray! He's rising! No more food for now and test again at 5 PM. That will probably be the last test until PMPS. Can you get to Walmart after that? Thank heavens you can get the ReliOn meter's (relatively) cheap strips ... :)

11. Teresa & Buddy

I did give insulin at 8a.m.

12. Kris & Teasel

Glad I understood that. I'll be watching here for your (no food before) 5 PM (or +9) BG test result. Then you can probably go to Walmart - aren't I bossy?! ;)

13. Teresa & Buddy

I can test at 5p.m., if he is coming up do you think he will be safe till I come back. I bet he will not eat anything tonight after having the other food. I will do a blood test @7:30 and if he is eating shot at 8:00.

14. Teresa & Buddy

No, I want Bud safe,

15. Kris & Teasel

Yes, if he's coming up at 5 PM, I think he'll be OK. Is it far to Walmart? As far as eating his supper, even a little meal will be OK I think. He might not even get any insulin tonight if his PS is too low.

16. Kris & Teasel

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hypo-links-be-prepared-just-in-case.48385/
    Check out the links above when you have time and then assemble a "hypo kit" that includes extra test strips, cans of grave style wet food, etc. as well as a list of "what to do" instructions. Buddy wasn't hypoing - yet - today but you want to be prepared in case it happens sometime. Hopefully you can avoid it with testing and proper dosing but you never know.

17. Teresa & Buddy

He is @ 98. What is my next move, let me know what I should do if he does not eat, how high should his numbers get till I need to
    shoot and how much. Or anything else you can think of.

18. Kris & Teasel

• OK, it's now +9 and he's at a safe number with no food in the last 30 minutes. Go ahead to Walmart to buy those test strips.
    • Don't give any food between now and your 7:30 PM preshot test.
    • If that test number is under 200 you won't give any insulin tonight. Feed him some wet food. No problem if he doesn't want to eat.
    • If it's above 200, he should get some insulin after eating a little. I'll think about what dose when I see the PS number.
    Sound like a plan?

19. Teresa & Buddy

When you say a little meal you mean after test. Walmart is not very far.

20. Teresa & Buddy

21. Teresa & Buddy

22. Kris & Teasel

Yes, after the BG test before giving insulin. You don't need a lot of food on board with ProZinc because it doesn't hit as hard and fast as some other insulins.

23. Teresa & Buddy

I'm home. He is @139.

24. Kris & Teasel

You'll be doing his pre shot test at 7:30 PM, correct? Unless he jumps up 60 points between now and then, you'll probably be skipping his shot tonight. Let's see where he is at 7:30.

25. Kris & Teasel

How was his BG at 7:30?

26. Kris & Teasel

What have you decided for PM - shot? no shot?

27. Teresa & Buddy

When I tried to e-mail you my computer would not work. I just gave him u-0.5, he was at 367 @ 8:00pm. I have been on the phone with a computer repair person, I have been frantic. What did you think I should have gave him.

28. Teresa & Buddy

I need to take one of my other cats to a vet in the morning, do you have any ideas what I might give Bud in the morning.

29. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It'll really depend on the number you get. If under 200 no shot for sure. Will you be shooting at 8 am? What time zone are you are n?

30. Teresa & Buddy

I have had problems all day with Buddy crashing because I took his dry food away and added FF classic to his Royal Canin. I had talked to Kris about this most of the day, I went somewhere, then I came back my computer was locked up on me. I wanted to know in light of everything that happened today and the dose I gave him tonight, what Kris thought I should do tomorrow .

31. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I read through your conversation and it looks like Buddy really responded to wet food! I think you're seeing a bounce tonight...and your dose looks good. It might be good for tomorrow too depending on your preshot. I understand you'd like to know what Kris thinks...@Kris & Teasel can you weigh in!?

32. Kris & Teasel

I think the lower dose tonight was the right thing. Let's see how he is tonight if you can do a before bed test. We can think about the dose tomorrow morning after you have the AMPS. I'll be around to watch for it.

33. Teresa & Buddy

Did you think the dose was too low considering his preshot was 367, I believe. I did not give him FF classic tonight because I did not know what to do and I did not want him to crash on me in the middle of the night.

34. Kris & Teasel

That 367 could be the start of the bouncing. After today's lows it's safer to err on the side of caution. I'd still encourage you to do the switch to low carb wet food. It won't always be hair-raising like today once he's stabilized on that food and insulin has been adjusted accordingly. You can rest easy tonight. :)

35. Teresa & Buddy

One of my other cats is not feeling well, so around 10:00a.m., I am going to take her to be seen by the vet. In the morning I am going to only give Buddy wet food Royal Canin, no dry, but I think I will hold off of the FF classic until I am home. I still would like your input on dosing, especially because of his crash.

36. Teresa & Buddy

I am going to do the switch like I was, but I feel as though I need to be here in case he crashes.

37. Kris & Teasel

I'm usually at my computer checking in here by 8 AM (we're in the same time zone) so I'll look for your posts.

38. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Great job steering numbers!

39. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Good deal! Kris, glad you can be around to help with Buddy. :)

40. Teresa & Buddy

I am not sure whether Red needs to go to Vet today or not so I am not sure what to do. Going back to only wet food adding some FF wet. Let me know what dose you think I need to do. When this 1st started he had been on 5mg of Prednisolone 2xa day for 4 1/2 days. His 1st dose was on 12/20/16, maybe this is clearing his system.

41. Pati

Pati Member

Good morning. If you can get a BG test just before 8am then when Kris gets online she'll have a better idea what to suggest.

42. Kris & Teasel

Quite possibly part of what's going on.

43. Teresa & Buddy

I got a reading of 396 @7:30. I think it might be a little high because he ate some of Red's dry food @3:00a.m. I gave Buddy some Royal Canin wet (which he likes) and added some FF classic to it. The bowl with the mixture of 2 he did not want to eat, I had to keep adding Royal Canin to it. I am willing to go slow on a dose.

44. Kris & Teasel

I see from your SS that you had a sleepless night - poor you! Those pinks and reds are bounce numbers after yesterday's greens. Your AMPS of 396 is high-ish but I'm suggesting you give 1 unit this AM. There might still be pinks and reds today after all the excitement but you need to see how this low dose works once he settles down, the steroid wears off, etc. I agree that he needs to be on wet food, preferably as much low carb FF as you feel confident to give.

You can also give his ears and yourself a break by reducing testing to, say, +3 to see if he's starting to drop, +6 to see what his nadir looks like and +8 to see if he's coming up of if he stills has a late nadir like yesterday.

What do you think?

45. Kris & Teasel

If you feel very squeamish about giving 1 u you could eyeball 0.75 u. Your kitty, your choice. :)

46. Teresa & Buddy

I guess people could call me scaredey cat. I only gave him u- 0.75. Does anyone know what flavors of Friskies pate can be given to a diabetic cat, I have several different ones here.

47. Kris & Teasel

No problem with that dose. Re Friskies: any of the pates are fine. I just limit fish based ones to once a week - high in phosphorus I think.

On my way out. I'll check in around noon.

Rachel likes this.
  48. Kris & Teasel

I'm back and just saw Buddy's +3 number. No surprise that it's pink. You might have high numbers today and that means we won't have an accurate picture of how this dose of 0.75 u is working. You might have to keep it for a few cycles. More info over the day today (+6, +8 and PMPS) will be helpful. I think you'll have a calmer time of it.

49. Teresa & Buddy

I got Buddy to eat royal canin wet with ff classic added into it. He did not want to eat this, but he finally did. I did order today Young Again O Carb dry food. I sure hope he does not crash again today.

50. Kris & Teasel

I really don't think he will. I have to go out again for a bit in about an hour but will check in. You now know what too low numbers look like and how to "steer" them with food. Big leap forward. :)

51. Teresa & Buddy

I am on my way out again to Wal Mart to try some different flavors of FF classic. I hope things are calm for a few days, tomorrow I take my 95 yr old mother to the doctor @2p.m. Guess I need to look at SS @ 2:00

52. Kris & Teasel

If you can't fit in another test until PMPS, not to worry.

53. Teresa & Buddy

I can always find time to take care of my cats, I could not at this time leave Buddy and be gone for very long.

54. Teresa & Buddy

As you can see Buddy has been eating a lot today, 1/2 was FF. Let me know what you think.

55. Kris & Teasel

You certainly have been able to relax today. :) I take it the FF was mixed with the other RC higher carb wet food? That might be propping up Bg a little but there's also the lower dose and the bouncing after yesterday's greens. Are you planning to gradually phase in the FF and end the RC, as well as no dry? That would be best for his diabetes. It's difficult to see what the best dose might be while these three factors are operating - partly higher carb food, lower dose, bouncing from low numbers. One day at a time ... :)

56. Teresa & Buddy

I have been worried today about leaving tomorrow for a couple of hours to take my Mother to the doctor. I told Mother that Buddy crashed and she said he did not. He never shows symptoms of being hypo. Do you know of any way I could keep him from crashing while I am gone tomorrow. I did mix the 2 together to get Bud used to the FF, and not upset his system from changing food. I must admit he ate more today than usual. I saw on FDMB different ones talking about a 0 carb dry food called young again and I ordered a small bag. My plan is to change him to FF or some other low carb wet food and try Young Again. Yesterday I gave him 1.25 and he crashed, do you think he will be able to tolerate that amount again. Guess he did not handle it to good then.

57. Pati

Pati Member

Kris will be along to advise you but usually we don't change doses as much as you have been. After the lows of yesterday he could be showing higher numbers due to bouncing. You are probably going to want to keep his dose lower as you wean him to all low carb wet food. Between that and the Pred maybe wearing off equal a lot of changes that all affect his BG.

58. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not sure I would give that if he was mine. It will, of course, depend on AMPS, but I'd probably stick with a lower dose...like 1 unit maybe if he's in pinks like this morning...less if he's in yellows.

59. Kris & Teasel

I also wouldn't increase the dose to any higher than 1 u until he's on (wet) low carb food only. Sliding scale dosing (changing according to PS BG) has its place but I think Buddy needs some dose stability for several cycles. There are too many factors in play right now - post low numbers, food change, pred waning, etc. I suggest you keep 0.75 u again tonight and go up to 1 u tomorrow AM if his BG warrants it. Bounce numbers can carry on for up to 3 days.

Rachel likes this.
  60. Teresa & Buddy

What do you think, this is a high reading. I must admit he did not want to eat earlier in the day so I gave him 1/2 a pill of appetite stimulate. This is the 1st time he has ate this much, and it shows by numbers.

61. Teresa & Buddy

I wanted you to read my last post, before I shot. I have no problems with 0.75 u. Let me know if different.

62. Kris & Teasel

Yes, 415 is a high reading but I think it's still part of the bounce phenomenon. You have to look for patterns in BG numbers, not just one number to decide on a dose. I stick by my recommendation to stay at 0.75 u for tonight and go to 1 u in the AM. You can't rush a kitty into better numbers.

63. Kris & Teasel

Our messages crossed. :)

64. Teresa & Buddy

I just tried to feed Buddy, he would eat some RC, but not with the FF mixed in with it. Maybe he needs to be on 0.75 in the morning also.

65. Kris & Teasel

You won't know until your AM test. It's best if you try to focus on one test/dose at a time right now. While you work on the wet food changeover it's safest to keep the dose lower though.

Rachel likes this.
  66. Teresa & Buddy

I have been concerned about the Pred wearing off, of course I want it to wear off just don't want him to crash.

67. Kris & Teasel

The 0.75 u dose is low enough I think. You can always lower it to 0.5 u if you think his numbers are starting to come down too much. You'll need to collect data over the next few cycles.

68. Teresa & Buddy

I am really scared with Bud @211 and I will be taking my Mother to the doctor around 1:30. He has went hypo more than once. He is wanting to eat I am going to try and see if he will eat the FF and not the RC, maybe he will not need as much insulin. Maybe even put off dosing a few minutes.

69. Kris & Teasel

Well, he didn't bounce for long! Yes, you need to lower his dose. I'd try 0.5 u and test him at +2 to see if he's starting to drop. If he is, give him a very small snack of FF. Test again at +3. You'll be leaving around +5 and you should have enough info then. If he's getting lower than we want by +3 you can take action by giving higher carb food but let's wait a bit. OK with you?

70. Teresa & Buddy

Kris, are you out there I don't know what to do.

71. Teresa & Buddy

Kris, I trust your judgement, because I certainly do not know. I am going to only feed FF today, unless his numbers start going down. He has not ate a whole can of FF, how much should he be allowed before the next time I dose. He really likes the RC not FF.

72. Kris & Teasel

I'm here. You'll learn over time what to do. It's hard at the start and that's why this place is so great. You'll be dosing next time this evening. By then Buddy should have eaten a normal day's meals. My cat is fed 4 times a day - larger breakfast after testing before shot, smaller lunch around +5 (I often test just before to have data for my SS), larger supper after testing before shot and then a small meal at my bedtime. He eats the equivalent of about 1.75 5.5 oz. cans of food a day. That's 1 full can of low carb prescription wet food with 0.75 cans of various Friskies pates mixed in at his meals.

I don't know the carb content of the RC wet food. Does your guy like Friskies pates? Maybe those would work for him. They're cheap and readily available.

73. Teresa & Buddy

At this time he has ate over 1/2 can of FF tender beef feast 3oz., and I have various Friskies pates here. I guess I thought you were feeding FF and could say I feed so many cans in the morning and so many at night.
    I

74. Kris & Teasel

One FF can is about half the size of a Friskies regular can, not the large cans. If your kitty doesn't eat much a tone meal, you might have to spread it out into several meals. ECID - "every cat is different".

75. Teresa & Buddy

I checked Buddy a few minutes early and he is @222. I am worried about what might happen here, especially if I leave for a while.

76. Kris & Teasel

So far he's good. Test again at +3. If he's going to dive it should start to show then. You can alwys give him a little higher carb RC just before you leave.

I have to go out now. You can post on the main health forum if you need advice. I'll be gone until +6 or thereabouts.

77. Teresa & Buddy

My sister is going to take my Mother today to the doctor, my Mother is 95 and lives with me. I am glad because I will be here with Buddy. Years go I had a sick cat and my boss said she thought that I would be the only person she knew of to take family medical for a cat.

78. Teresa & Buddy

I just took a reading @4 and he was @84. He was crying to eat so I gave him some RC wet & FF grilled mixed together. Hope I did not make a mistake.

79. Kris & Teasel

No, you didn't make a mistake. That's quite low for a +4. Test him again at +5 to see where he is. He might need a little more food then. Keep the amounts small. You don't want to fill him up so he won't eat if you need to keep steering with food. Do you have any wet food with sauce or gravy in it. A teaspoon or two of the gravy is a good way to prop up BG without filling him up.

80. Kris & Teasel

Looking ahead, if he's high enough tonight to give insulin you'll probably have to reduce to 0.25 u.

81. Teresa & Buddy

I took a reading at the 1/2 hr. he was @92, took another @1 hr @74. He just got some more RC with some gravy & meat from FF grilled.

82. Kris & Teasel

At 1/2 hour he was probably higher from the first snack. That only held for a short time, hence the drop to 74. Good job with the second snack that has some gravy. Is he willing to eat? As I said, it's important not to give too much. Test again in half an hour. Like yesterday, you want to get to a point where his BG is holding or rising without food to prop it up. His nadir was late-ish yesterday so you might need a few more small snack interventions. I'm at home the rest of the day.

83. Kris & Teasel

Any new numbers? I also suggest that you start a new thread. This one is very long.

84. Kris & Teasel

Just saw that 96. I think you should try for another test in an hour but don't give any food. Let's see if he'll stay there or rise.

85. Teresa & Buddy

I did start a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.