Budesonide vs FD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jayla-n-Drevon, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Has anyone had a non diabetic cat that went on budesonide that developed FD?
    Thanks for any input...:cat:

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Budesonide tends to usually have less systemic effects on the system than other steroids such as prendisolone. However each kitty can react differently to steroids, so it is a possibility that the budesonide could have contributed to FD. However if the budesonide is required for a condition such as IBD then you have to treat the condition first and worry about the FD after.

jayla-n-Drevon and JanetNJ like this.
  3. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Oh no Jayla! Has Rico been diagnosed with FD now too?

4. jayla-n-Drevon

I am having BW Wednesday but he has been "off" for a few days so I did my random test and he was 363 and going up.....has responded well and glad I started a low dose. He was 460 ps last night +3/490 and his AM/107. He was close enough to 90 that I reduced to .75 as he is not as tolerant as Dre.
    Unless there is unknown infection it appears he wants to be like his buddy:arghh:

How are you and Shoes?:bighug:

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  5. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Prayers for just some unknown infection for Rico!

Shoes is hanging in as am I! I am dealing with some new health things but it is being treated now. Will be fine.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

Thank you for responding .... I had been researching all night with mixed information but it was the first thing I thought when I tested. He has never been over 100-he has been on budesonide for about 9-10 months.
    My vet was unsure if it would/could cause it.
    He is already feeling better :cat:

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  7. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I think it comes down to ECID. I have had to use some short runs of prednisolone for Maxie (FD)and it really didn't affect her glucose numbers too badly. Yet she was the one that was much more carb sensitive than her brother was. Sometimes steroids are just necessary to treat the other conditions.

8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hopefully it's just a short sugar dance for Rico and he won't want to be like his buddy much longer :cat:. The whole, ok it looked neat, I tried it, I'm done thanks for the experience, going back to my old ways :smuggrin:

jayla-n-Drevon and Squalliesmom like this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Jayla, I'm so sorry to hear that Rico is having problems! Praying for him that it's just a passing "thing" and will soon turn around. (((Hugs))) for you, scritches for the boys, and some extra healing vines for Rico. :bighug::bighug::bighug: :cat: :cat:

Rico, buddy, trust me, you don't want to do this dance!
    images (4).jpeg

10. jayla-n-Drevon

Thank you everyone.... I am pretty sure it is budesonide induced -his +5 is 66 and I reduced after just 1 shot last night.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

No. I have also used budesonide for several of my diabetic cats and it had some but little effect on BG/insulin needs

12. jayla-n-Drevon

Thanks for the input Larry.... I am so frustrated!
    Rico eats all low carb since Dre was dx and in Jan on BW his bg was 89
    I do spot checks and never over 100--he started drinking and peeing more so I tested and am still in shock. I have been told by other groups (IBD) that is has happened to others as well, I think it is just rare-
    Trying to wean him off it now....he is nearly 20 years old and change is not in his profile:facepalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.