Buprinex vs Tramadol after dental?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia & Bandit (GA), Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Bandit went in for his pre-dental bloodwork yesterday. Last dental he was given Metacam for post-dental pain medicine and it worked great, but I'm a little nervous to go there this time around. When I asked the vet tech who was drawing his blood if it would be possible to get Buprinex after his dental instead, he said the vet would probably give us Tramadol. I used that with Gabby when she had a UTI, and I also had some on hand during her cancer. But I've never heard of it given after a dental for pain. Should I insist on Buprinex, or is there not much of a difference?

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I've only used Bupe for pain, but I think that is very hard to come by these days, seems to always be a shortage.

Unless others say differently, if your vet recommends Tramadol, it should be fine. Like Bupe, I would use it if there were extractions, I generally give pain meds for about 3 days depending on if my vet said it was a tough extraction or the tooth came out easily. Then I judge by how the kitty is feeling.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Buprenex is preferred since less cats seem to get stoned or hyper by it and it is easier to administer. Also, many cats foam at the mouth because of the taste of tramadol. I use tramadol since it is more readily available than Breprenex and less expensive. I place my tramadol in a 3# or #4 gelcap.

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

OMG ditto what Larry said.. Carly was drooling copiously all the time for days when I would pet her or on approach because she thought I was going to pill her again.. anticipatory drool. Compounded the sedation recovery and added another "not eating" component we didnt need. If you do get Tramadol, GELCAP for sure. And do not let them talk you into compounding..this stuff is so nasty I doubt compounding with fish flavor would cover the taste.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

My civvie went crazy on two doses of tramadol. She paced incessantly, and wouldn't eat or calm down. Bupe is much better and doesn't have this kind of side effect, especially when you want them to rest and not be agitated.

6. traceyg

traceyg Member

The taste of tramadol is very bitter. I have to take it ever once and while. My cat Missy also had to take it when her knees were really bad. Someone had broken them and didn't fix them I got her that way and it was she was told old to have them fixed. Anyway she didn't like it at all. I had to keep her contained for a day or two but it really did help her. It does the same for me when I take it but the first day or two the room spins. It really does give you a weird feeling in your head. I can understand why it would make a cat crazy. They don't understand but it really works. Better then all the other stuff they tried on her but it was a while ago and I don't recall the other stuff. . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.