cadmium continues to confuse me [changed title]

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by apollonia-artemisia, Jan 15, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apollonia-artemisia

apollonia-artemisia Member

Needing a rundown of game plan so I know I'm understanding things correctly, as well as advice just in case things change.
    For background, here is his main glucose tracking thread. Posting in main forum as well due to urgency.

I heard what sounded like him meowing and he seemed a bit sleepy but nothing out of the ordinary, and was roughly time for his +4 reading anyways. Got the reading of 66, broke out the hi-carb food from his hypo kit to slow him down as he has a tendency to have severe glucose drops really quickly. He was ravenously hungry, I fed him two spoonfuls to see how he responds. Also removed inflatable e-collar for his safety if for whatever reason he starts seizing. Have honey and nutri-cal gel if needed, will order lyft to emergency vet if necessary.

This is also the lowest reading I have ever observed from him. He has definitely earned a reduction in dose for sure.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry no one answered you sooner.
    Looks like he is on the way back up.
    I would continue to monitor him as the BG may wobble about a bit up and down as it is still early in the cycle
    I’m not a prozinc user so I’ll tag @FrostD about what reduction you should take. If she hasn’t answered you by the next dose, I would give 0.5 units if he is high enough to shoot.

apollonia-artemisia likes this.
  3. apollonia-artemisia

Whats important is hes stabilizing! his +5 was 101, contemplating leaving an additional can of low carb food out for overnight so I can sleep more soundly.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would not go to sleep just yet as the BG could wobble about up and down for a few hours yet.
    When you do go to sleep that’s is a good idea to leave some food out for him

5. apollonia-artemisia

Okay, sounds good. I'll have my partner take over recording readings on his SS then. It's very hard for me to stay awake much longer. He'll wake me up if something goes awry, told him when to feed more low carb (or high carb if necessary) food and to record it on the sheet too. I'll update his main thread in the morning

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It looks like you and your partner did a great job of managing the drop in numbers. Looking at your kitty's spreadsheet, don't be surprised if you see a bounce.

7. apollonia-artemisia

His glucose this morning was 365, so yeah I think hes bouncing @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

He has definitely earned a reduction of at least 0.25, but after a hypo spell it looks like cats can be extra sensitive to insulin? Considering I need to run an errand as well (gotta go to pharmacy to pick up my scripts but also get more test strips, we are on our last pack as of yesterday :nailbiting:) I am thinking of following through with @Bron and Sheba (GA) 's suggestion in reply #2 of giving 0.5 as his morning dose.
    @FrostD @Suzanne & Darcy what are your thoughts?

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Just to clarify, unless your cat was having symptoms associated with hypoglycemia (and I don't mean that he was hungry), we consider the numbers that Cadmium was spending time in as low numbers. It was not an episode of symptomatic hypoglycemia. If a cat is symptomatic, then insulin sensitivity can be a factor. Gabby would drop into the 30s and not be symptomatic. A lot depends on the cat and how the cat responds to insulin. We've certainly had cats that would become symptomatic if their numbers dropped into the 60s but on average, that's not a range I'd be worried about and wouldn't expect a cat to be sensitive to the next dose of insulin.

I would have reduced the dose to 0.75u going forward.

9. apollonia-artemisia

Except that he was having symptoms. He was meowing for help (not meowing for food) which is the reason why we went to check on him. He was very sleepy and although still alert (so not quite lethargy) he only perked up once he started eating. At that point he was acting ravenously hungry even after eating an entire can. He is normally a grazer that finishes by 4hr too, and was really fast to finish his dinner.

I think his body might have made him feel like he was in hypo territory due to speed of the drop? He likely would have gone even lower because this was not at his insulin peak yet. I'm glad we took action when we did, it helped him stabilize

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You're the one who knows your cat and it looks like you're a great observer, as well. Like I said, some cats can be fine with a BG of 35 and others can have a seizure. You know your cat! The speed of the drop can be a factor and it's absolutely warranted to intervene when numbers are dropping. It's great if a bit of food helps the numbers level off and keeps your cat in normal range numbers for as long as possible. (We refer to it as "surfing.") You did great!!

11. apollonia-artemisia

PMPS tonight was 449, going ahead with normal reduction and will give him 0.75 for this cycle!

FrostD likes this.
  12. apollonia-artemisia

AM+6 today was 111! Dose was 0.75u :woot:

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Hold on to that dose!!

14. apollonia-artemisia

Sure will!! At least for now, unless he has another low episode!

The vet was wanting him to go back to 1F due to his high readings from yesterday and I simply said "absolutely not." Especially considering he got symptomatic in the 60s from 1 unit flat! I feel that the highs were actually from me reducing his dose too much before he was ready for it

15. apollonia-artemisia

Seems like last night's readings were due to a furshot. I didn't smell any insulin, but my guess was that it wasn't deposited correctly regardless. Today his +3.5 is 102.

16. apollonia-artemisia

UPDATE: Cadmium had a +5 reading of 70, mild symptoms again. Refusal to get up on his own, excessive sleepiness, and perked back up after eating. He had a tube of churu and spoonful of 15% carb food.

17. apollonia-artemisia

Vet approved of further reduction for next dose onwards, going to 0.5u assuming everything goes as planned for the rest of this cycle.

18. apollonia-artemisia

Tonights PMPS reading was 280, when I immediately did another reading to double check, it was 269. Currently stalling w/o food

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You should be fine to shoot. You have shot BGs in that range before.
    Were you thinking of giving 0.75 U or 1 unit ProZinc.

20. apollonia-artemisia

I was considering 0.75 or 0.75F considering hes finally out of his really high preshots

21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Good choice.
    I would get a +2 and further tests after that to see how low he is going

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.