? Calculating decreased dosage?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MamaMug, Apr 7, 2019.

1. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Some semblance of a curve today, instead of just staying in the greens up into PMPS.
    We usually try to test feed shoot around 8p EST and I'm hoping he comes up a little so I feel more comfortable shooting. It's looking like we'll need to do a decreased dose which I haven't fully wrapped my head around yet. Is there a proper way to calculate decreased dosage? I know ECID and the individual cats data probably speaks more to this, but I would just like to have a little more to go on than intuition.

EDIT: Reading through the stickies on this matter but still a bit confused as he's not been regulated enough to see what's probably considered an actual nadir.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Totally will depend on PS number as he was in nice blues all day. There really is no formula for increase/decrease of dose. All about the individual cats patterns and numbers

3. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

He was 102 tonight. I shot 0.2, the half marking on u-100

4. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

We had a big blowout at home about what to shoot. My SO wanted to stick to the dosage we did this morning. I felt that dosage would be unsafe. I look forward to the day that this is less stressful.

5. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

This is stressful but you are doing great. Just monitor tonight to see what that does. ColEcting the data is what helps for next time. All we can do is make the best decisions with what we are given and worst case If it turns out to be wrong... we have the info for next tine so we can make better decisions

MamaMug likes this.
  6. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

:bighug: Sorry, it is very stressful, but he's doing great!

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Looks like that 0.2u last night was a good idea. Not to get in the middle of a fight with your SO, but 0.6u would have been too much. Consistency is important on the way up the dosing scale, when a kitty is bouncing around, and for cats that go towards regulation instead of remission. But when you're heading down the dosing scale, you have to be more responsive in your dosing. Not exactly a sliding scale because it's not just about the PS numbers - you still need to carefully consider the nadirs, but you do need to adjust more than you would during the first half of the journey.

And even more so when you're at work during the days. Gato is looking good! :D

8. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

I'm very glad we didn't do 0.6. Even the 0.2 had me second guessing myself at +2 and +4.
    I think I finally understand the 'it's a dance sentiment'. But man I can't help but feel like a clumsy dancer at times! Lol

We have a follow up apt today to check in with the vet and test fructosamine. I'm eager to see what he thinks about our progress, Gato seems to be reacting really well to the diet change and insulin.