Can a tumor pulsate after SRT?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Deena and Malby, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

Hi there,
    Does anyone know if a tumor can still pulsate after SRT? Within 6 weeks of SRT, Malachai went into “normal” numbers with his Nadir being around 65. He earned several reductions.
    Now 2 weeks later and his numbers are back up. Is it possible that the tumor pulsated back up or do you think I might have been to aggressive with dose reductions?
    Thanks!!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

SRT neuters the tumour cells. That just means they can't reproduce, but they can still do what they have been doing until they die.

Without looking at your spreadsheet - it's missing from your signature - I cannot comment on dose. He could also be bouncing from lower numbers than he's used to if you are seeing higher numbers.

I've said it before, and it's even more important now, you really do need to step up testing after SRT. Dose requirement can happen very quickly, or not. Each cat is completely different. I'm not trying to be a nag, but I truly worry about Malachai's safety.

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Deena
    Welcome back. I was wondering how the SRT at WSU went. If you have observations, they will help others in their decision to go to WSU.

I 100% agree with Wendy. Testing is even more important now, including maintaining the spreadsheet. Even if you don't post here. We can't help you without info.

Leo had lots of changes after SRT. Sometimes dramatic drops. Sometimes BG increases. I followed his BG with insulin changes, with lots of good advice from Wendy and others.

You will notice from Leo's current spreadsheet that SRT was effective but took awhile to resolve:
    - pre SRT was 36 units/day
    - current, 22 months after SRT, now 5 units/day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.