Can I feed Grey after giving him insulin

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jamie, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie

Jamie New Member

Hi, I'm new to this. Just brought Grey home from vet after 10 days. Gave him first pzi shot a half hour ago. Can I feed him now? I gave him 1/2 can Fancy Feast before shot. Forgot to ask vet if I can feed him AFTER shot. Please help -- this is all so new and complicated. Thanks. (He's really hungry and wants more.)

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i replied on health but will copy here just in case :)

hi Jamie and welcome!

yes, you can feed some more now if Grey is still hungry. Which, in a newly diagnosed diabetic, they do tend to be more hungry since they can't utilize their food fully when their diabetes is out of control.

was Grey at the vet so long due to other problems or did they vet say it was necessary to "regulate" them there? if there were other problems can you tell us what they were? like ketones perhaps?

if you are asking if you can give the shot and then feed (not feeding before the shot) then i would say only if Grey is not a finicky eater or a puke-r. you don't want to give insulin and then have a cat go on strike on you and not eat anything at all because their glucose levels can drop too much if that happens. i personally do feed right after giving the shot because if I fed Mousie first she would never sit still for her test & shot :)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi jaime, yes you can feed now. it's a good routine to feed after shot (if you know you have a cat who always will eat) as it is kind of part of the reward factor for them.
    a good rule of thumb would be: test, shoot, eat. now with tom and many cats around here it may be advisable to actually shoot whilst cat is face deep in bowl so as help them not really feel the shot.
    i noticed you fed 1/2 hour before shooting. did you test before feeding?
    test-(shoot+feed)

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

also forgot to mention kitty may show signs of hunger as bg's go down, especially 2 hours or so after shot. my tomtom is a fast dropper and get's pretty hungry as they drop...i feed and unless you have a really fat cat this would be ok too. might make him feel better too.

5. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't want to hyjack the thread, but wanted to say Hi to Lori. Nice to see you're still around. I hope you and Tom are well.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie & welcome!!! I'd let him eat as much as he wants whenever he wants, assuming he is not a super-fatty who needs to drop a few pounds. Diabetic cats can be extra-hungry for a variety of reasons, in many cases it's their body's way of protecting them from dangers (like low BGs or ketones), so IMO if they are acting really hungry.... you givz the kittehs wat de wantz!!! :mrgreen:

It is very overwhelming at first, but you will learn and get the hang of things. Post whatever questions you have and we will answer them if we can!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.