? Can I get a double check?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by AlphaCat, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I dropped Fabby down from 1 unit to .5 unit tonight.

We've had our share of misses lately, but since she got sick with whatever it was, her numbers have been off. The doctor said we will change insulin if we can't get her back on track... and we were making such headway before...
    So, her antibiotics are over, and they fixed the issue. But because her insulin appeared not to be working like it was, she's gotten food crazy again, and has been doing things she wouldn't normally do.

We've always just bounced at 1 unit, so tonight I have had my limit, and went back to .5 unit, because I had to try something, and it seemed like starting back small and going up if needed was the right call.

Thoughts?

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

As long as she isn't prone to ketones, reducing her dose back to 0.5U might help her bounce less. If you don't see much improvement / movement with 0.5U, then you might want to try 0.75U again :). Hope she is feeling better and you are well too! :bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  3. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Thank you Yong. We have never had a keytone issue, and we've tested multiple times for it now, seeing as she has been to the vet the most currently.
    She is definitely feeling much better after being sick. Well enough to keep getting into trouble and being extra sneaky.
    But I am worried about the beetus... we were doing so well, then Runswith, and it just hasn't gotten back to normal yet.

I'm glad you like the new plan of attack. I hope it does the trick.
    Thanks again!

4. Yong & Maury GA

I'm sure the loss of Runswith impacts Fabby too :bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  5. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Oh man, now it's raining from my face again. The weatherperson didn't predict this.

6. Yong & Maury GA

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

When something isn't working, try something different. I agree with the little reduction experiment for Fabby. In a couple of days you should know whether a boost to 0.75 u is in order. This FD thing is so hard to cope with sometimes (on top of everything else life throws at us) and there's art to dosing as well as science - more art I think.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like .5 is enough. I'd go back to 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.