? Can I substitute other test strips for ReliOn Premier Classic?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Karen and Chispa, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

Thanks to a mail order delay, I am nine strips away from running out of ReliOn Premier Classic test strips. Unfortunately, I'm also one of the 5% (I am guessing) of Americans who do not live within ten minutes of a Walmart. My question is, do I have to use ReliOn Premier Classic test strips with my meter of the same brand, or are there strips available elsewhere that are interchangeble? I live within walking distance of a CVS.

I can get to a Walmart if I absolutely have to ... just hoping for an easier solution.

Thanks!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I dint live close to a Walmart either. I used to buy from them online and on auction from eBay.

Karen and Chispa likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

At the minimum, I would see if there's a customer service number on the strip container to ask. My guess is that meter and strips need to be the same.

Karen and Chispa likes this.
  4. Karen and Chispa

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that, but thank you. There was a number to call, and while I was on hold, I actually located the original user’s manual (duh!) where it says right on the cover, “For use with ReliOn Premiere test strips only.”

Hi ho, hi ho, it’s off to Walmart I go.

Good thing it’s Saturday!

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It never hurts to have a back up meter and test strips, for such situations as this. Or times I've heard where a cat's tail flicked a meter into the fountain, a sleepy caregiver microwaved the meter instead of the rice sock. :p Can you check to see if CVS has a decent meter with reasonably priced strips?

6. Karen and Chispa

Wendy … thank you for the best laugh I’ve had in a while.. I can just picture both of those scenarios, and honestly, it’ll be a miracle if I don’t microwave the meter myself at some point. Thanks for the suggestion of a backup. I read that in one of the stickies and just hadn’t gotten around to it. Will fix that today! :bighug::cat:

Bandit's Mom likes this.