Can too high a dose cause too high BG?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NancyJH, Jun 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NancyJH

NancyJH Member

My cat’s preshot numbers have been mainly in the 300s and he was getting 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 units. Occasionally there would be a low 400 preshot number. I increased his dose to 1-3/4 and got high 300 and even some high 400 numbers. My vet said she thought he did better at the lower dose so last night I lowered it back to 1-1/2 and this morning it was 548 which is the highest it ever was. I gave him a little higher than 1-1/2. Do you think it might take time to adjust to the lower dose? Can too high a dose actually raise the numbers? Thanks

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

In a nutshell yes, too high a dose can cause higher numbers due to bouncing.

In your kitty's instance however we'd need to see a spreadsheet to determine if that is what's happening or not. Could you make us a spreadsheet with his information please? Think of it like his medical records: we can't accurately help you without them.

Spreadsheet How-To Link

3. NancyJH

NancyJH Member

I’m not going to be able to do a spreadsheet. I don’t have a computer and I loaded the three apps on my iPad but when I opened google it was asking me to sync my passwords. I’m not computer literate and I’m afraid I’ll mess up my iPad if it syncs my passwords. Thanks anyway but I’ll just try to search any questions I have.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

We have mods who can make the spreadsheet for you. I've never used a iPad but plenty of members here do, it's why we use Google Spreadsheets since it works on all devices. Syncing your passwords is perfectly safe, it means if you are logged into your Google account on your phone or iPad it will remember your password on both devices. Won't hurt a thing.

You won't be able to get specific help without his BG numbers and your cat is unique, so even if you don't want to use the spreadsheet, at least consider typing up the numbers in a post, most people here won't offer advice without them. We do want to help you though so let us help you!

@Marje and Gracie
    @Wendy&Neko

Anyone able to help?

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

There should be no issue in syncing your passwords but I’ve never had the apps ask me that if you are signed into google to begin with.

I can easily do a spreadsheet for you if you can send me a private message by clicking on “Marje and Gracie” to the left and then “start a conversation”. Without a spreadsheet, we aren’t going to be able to be much help. There are patterns that become evident on the SS that are difficult to detect by someone listing numbers. You can get alot of help here for your kitty but we do need the spreadsheet. It’s not complicated to fill out once I get it set up for you.

Even with PZ, you shouldn’t be bouncing the dose around so much. We can help you with solid dosing advice once we get the SS set up.

I am moving this thread to the Main Health Forum. We ask everyone to start there first. The insulin support groups (ISG) like this one are for members who have all the basics down on testing, feeding, etc.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Please let us try to help you with the spread sheet. I'm AWFUL with computers and I trust the people here completely.
    Why not give it a go?

pomflora and Panic like this.
  7. NancyJH

NancyJH Member

I’m going to see if I can find someone to help me set up a spreadsheet. In the meantime, I’ll post the morning and evening preshot numbers along with the units I’m giving of prozinc in parentheses
    Starting 5/28
    397, 378 (1-1/2)
    444, 457 (1-1/2) Tested at 2:47 pm 214
    364, 254 (1-3/4, 1-1/4) Tested at 2:23 pm 222
    433, 437 (1-3/4)
    397, 372 (1-3/4). Tested at 1:34 pm 230
    395, 382 (1-3/4)
    376, 498 (1-3/4)
    415, 358 (1-3/4). Did a curve — 11:19 am (370); 1:17 Pm (251); 3:19 pm (159); 4:23 pm (162)
    344, 476 (1-3/4)
    480, 396 (1-3/4, 1-1/2) Tested at 1:57 pm 282
    548 (1-1/2). Tested at 10:42 am 398; 1:21 pm (163); 4:32 pm (213)
    Thanks

Panic likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Please take up Marje's offer to help you with the spreadsheet. She's done this with dozens (maybe more) of new people. We are happy to get you set up and going.

A general comment, we determine how to change the dose based more on the middle of the cycle numbers than the preshot. That middle of the cycle data is the key to telling us what is happening and why you are seeing the numbers you are. Think of this like a jigsaw puzzle. Those preshots are the edge pieces, but it's those tests in between (like you got for the curve) that tell us what the picture really is.

9. jt and trouble (GA)

Perfect analogy

10. NancyJH

NancyJH Member

I loaded the three apps on a kindle fire and was able to open the spreadsheet. Once I clicked on the three dots i didn't get "share and export"

11. jt and trouble (GA)

:arghh:

12. Marje and Gracie

Good job. When I click on the three dots, the “share and export” is sixth from the top.

Don’t spend a lot of time getting frustrated. Please send me a PM following instructions I put in post 5 above. I’m happy to help.

13. NancyJH

NancyJH Member

I posted Lenny’s spreadsheet and need dosing advice. I usually gave him 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 units of prozinc. I tried giving him 1-3/4 units for a few days to see if I could get his numbers down lower. I kept getting high preshot values so my vet suggested going back to 1-1/2. I’m not sure how much I should give.

He also ate two big meals at shot time and 1/4 can of fancy feast six hours past shot. The last few days I tried giving him a small meal about two hours past his shot and another small meal four hours later. I’m not sure if that’s messing up his numbers or not.

14. jt and trouble (GA)

I cannot give dosing advice but I cant see any entries on Lenny's spread sheet. People will need it to give advice. @Marje and Gracie
    Marje should be able to help with it.

15. NancyJH

NancyJH Member

If you scroll down to may 2020. I just filled in May and June so far

16. jt and trouble (GA)

LOL I scrolled down but not far enough. (duh jeanne just LOOK at the date!) :rolleyes:

There IS an answer to your question I promise. Have you tried posting the same question on the Prozinc board? Some times its slow over there but no slower than here on a Sunday.

Prozinc / PZI

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You can get rid of the dated up to when you started keeping a log of your data. I did the same thing as Jeanne. We're used to seeing the initial ate there the numbers are filled in.

I think Lenny needs more insulin. Even with a nadir (lowest value in a cycle) at 147, that is still a very safe number. I'd also encourage you to get at least one test during the PM cycle every night. Most people get a "before bed" test. It's just as important to know Lenny's numbers at night as during the day. Many cats experience lower numbers at night. In addition, if you don't test at night, you're missing half of your data.

18. Marje and Gracie

I did the SS for her and she has data for that time period which she might want to fill in so she has everything in one spot.

19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

20. Marje and Gracie

You are absolutely welcome!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.