Canada Food Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by whiskysmom, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskysmom

whiskysmom Member

Looking for recommendations for good diabetic-friendly wet food in Canada. I live in a fairly small town, so we have a few small local specialty pet stores and a PetSmart.

Our sugar cat has been eating Purina DM as suggested by the vet. He likes it and has adjusted to it fine, but it's really adding up at $2/can (5.5oz) so we need to look for a more budget friendly option. We've also been giving him some Fancy Feast Chicken Feast Pate mixed in recently, and while he loves it, it seems to disagree with his tummy sometimes.

He loves Tiki Cat - but at $1.40/can (2.8oz) we're higher than the Purina DM.

I've looked at Dr.Lisa's food chart for US and Canada but am just overwhelmed by all the possibilities. I keep browsing pet stores and trying to read labels and then get put off when pet store associates give me completely incorrect information. One store tried to sell me on the brand that had a sales rep in that day. Then I had one store associate recently tell me that wet food has basically zero nutritional value as it's almost 70% water.....oy! She also tried to get me onto dry food, and I was like ummmmm NO. So I don't trust the advice they are giving at all.

Any tried and true options in Canada that are a little more friendly on the wallet, other than Fancy Feast?

2. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

Hi! The most affordable canned food I found, and that Tucker still eats (he is OTJ now) is friskies pate. We frequently find it on sale for $0.50 cents a can, and it has several flavours available. Regular price is still not too bad either. The other one, that we use too, is PC meaty selections again sticking to the pate varieties. I think it is usually a touch more, maybe ~70 cents for the same size can as friskies, but big cans are available too for slightly more. Around here, friskies is in a lot of stores--PC Meaty selections I think is restricted to Loblaws banner stores (Superstore, shoppers?, probably some others). If you are an amazon.ca person or open to using it, Friskies pate often goes on for 50 cents--limit is 10 cans, and you have to have enough other items to reach the free shipping mark otherwise shipping is cost prohibitive. They also have the packs available for reasonable cost too.

whiskysmom likes this.
  3. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I get the pc extra meaty chicken for Rhubarb. 69 to 79 cents a can depending on store

whiskysmom likes this.
  4. whiskysmom

whiskysmom Member

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here is the link to a Canadian Food chart, though somewhat out of date. The Canada Fresh should probably be on there, and there are several low carb raw products available in Canada, including some made BC. At one point I made my own with the TC Feline premix (from Saltspring Island), and found it considerable cheaper than a lot of canned foods.

whiskysmom likes this.
  6. whiskysmom

whiskysmom Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.