Cancer/IBD, help (i'm a mess) w food + next steps

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bree4Sushi, Jan 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bree4Sushi

Bree4Sushi New Member

Hello all - I just found out that my poor baby likely has lymphoma cancer. She has been getting sick (episodes of throwing up) on and off for over a year and I finally got a loan to get her an ultrasound and the radiologist found what they think it probably cancer, but could be IBD. I need to make some important decisions about how to move forward, the first being to change her diet. I updated my spread sheet with the Dr's summary, next steps and recommendation for rx Royal Canin wet food that's $80 for 24 - 5.1oz cans, (16 day supply by my maths - Sush is 12 lbs). I can't afford this food, and I wondering if anyone here has any ideas for less expensive IBD diet food that would work with her diabetes.

The next series of decisions I need to make is about the course of action I want to take. I was told that the only way to know if it's cancer or not is for a biopsy to be done. The cheaper, but more invasive route is $600-700 and the other route is $1500-2000. I honestly can't afford either, and I don't think I want to put her through cancer treatment anyway. So then it would be treating for IBD with diet and steroids and if she gets better and stays that way we know it's IBD. If she gets better but then gets worse again it's prob cancer. I have a phone call with the Vet on Monday to let her know how I want to move forward. But honestly, I'm lost and don't know what to do. I don't want to be the reason she continues to suffer. She has been getting gradually worse since this summer, and since she's been back with me she thinks of nothing but food and is in pain all the time, where just a couple weeks ago she still played and engaged.

I am also $1,500 in debt for vet bills that I can't afford to pay as my unemployment was interrupted for a month and half. My mom also lives with me and I am her caregiver, so I have to put her medication, food and housing needs ahead of vet bills. I am working on a crowdfund campaign to help with these bills and our general security as well. To say the least... things are rough right now. I've been through some really hard and scary things in life, but this takes the cake and I'm completely heart broken and confused about what I should do and am honestly having a hard time keeping it together. Any help with even the simplest things would be really appreciated right now.

I trust this group and I know y'all are dedicated and informed and I'm hoping you can gently nudge me in the right direction.

(My spreadsheet has a TON of info including BG, water intake, meds (cerenia and ondestron), latest LABS and the Dr's notes that summarize decisions that need to be made and diet rec)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Both IBD and small cell lymphoma are very treatable. Cat's on the right chemo protocol have a really good chance of going into remission. It's a mild chemo drug. Been there, done that a couple times now. IBD is treatable with a novel protein diet and probiotics. You first need to find out what you are dealing with, so you can do the right treatment as the two are treated differently.

An expensive Rx food is not required for either condition. Many commercial options are available with novel proteins, which is whatever protein is new to your kitty, possibly something like rabbit, venison, lamb, or duck. If your girl will eat raw food, that's also an option, or you can even make your own or cook the meat first and add a premix. I've also done that - for some proteins that was cheaper than canned food. The small cell lymphoma does not need a novel protein food, just the IBD. Of course low carb is best.

Hang in there, this is doable. :bighug:

tiffmaxee and Pookie (GA) like this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Can't help with the health issues on this one, but I'd like to send you these:

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I'm sorry the universe is throwing so much at you, and I pray things will start getting better for you very soon.

Mogs

Bree4Sushi likes this.
  4. Bree4Sushi

Bree4Sushi New Member

Thanks for the reply. Since I'm not able to afford a biopsy right now (hopefully the crowd fundraiser will help with) what would you recommend for a next step? And do you know of a commercial food to recommend? Also, is there a section of this message board where I can post this for more help?

5. Bree4Sushi

Bree4Sushi New Member

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

This message board is about diabetes, but you will find some people with experience with other conditions, and how it impact diabetes. So there isn't another section of this message board for help. There are other message boards or on line groups that deal with IBD and small cell lymphoma. Here is one such site: https://www.ibdkitties.net/
    and I think it has a Facebook group associated with it too. There are also groups on groups.io for feline small cell lymphoma. However, we are not vets and I couldn't suggest treating for one condition or the other without a biopsy. Reading on the IBDkitties website, sounds like cats almost equally have one condition or the other.

If you want to try a novel protein diet, start looking for products that have proteins like lamb, venison, rabbit, kangaroo, or whatever protein Sushi has not had before. Some brands are Ziwipeak, Nature's Variety Instinct limited ingredient, Rawz, Koha. There are also choices in raw or freeze dried raw like Stella and Chewy's and Primal. Go into you local pet food specialty store and find out what they have. Needing limited ingredients is a common problem, store staff should be able to help you there. Another option is to make your own pet food. I got the EZComplete premix and made my own cat food with some meat from the butcher.

I never tried Atopica. There have been people here that have tried it, not with what I'd call great success. Ask your vet if s/he's had other cats on it. Another option besides prednisolone is budesonide. It's also a steroid, but locally acting on the GI system. It's what Neko took and it did help her. It also did not impact her blood sugars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.