Caninsulin / change syringe / a better idea

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Noah & me (GA), Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If there's a more complicated way to say something I'm the guy. I can change "Small coffee, black" into the history off coffee beans. So my previous post became a dissertation on quantum mechanics. "MrWorfMom's Mom" replied with a much easier way to do the same thing. The link she provided was http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm Thanks MrWorfsMenMom! What got me going was my vet's staff who think a "unit" is an "International Unit" and cannot convert cc into ml. Please forgive the rant.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

No worries. That conversion chart is a bit hard to find. Having a written conversion table is a big help especially when you are new to this dance and feeling totally overwhelmed with pretty much everything else much less the need to hone your math skills. :woot: Love your sense of humour! As for the vet's staff, well that's a whole different discussion! :rolleyes:

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There are needle gauges - 30 - 33 - which reflect how narrow the actual needle is. The higher the gauge number, the thinner it is (and easier to bend and stab yourself!)

Then there are the markings on them to indicate units.
    The U-100 syringes are designed for U-100 insulin which has 100 units per mL.
    The U-40 syringes are designed for U-40 insulin which has 40 units per mL or 40% of the U-100 concentration.

If you use a U-100 syringe to measure a U-40 insulin, all of the syringe numbers get adjusted to read 0.4 times whatever the original tick mark is:
    tick * adjustment = dose of U-40
    0.5 * 0.4 = 0.2 units of U-40
    1.0 * 0.4 = 0.4 units of U-40
    and so on.
    You can print out the chart or set up a spreadsheet to do the math correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.