Canned Food Choice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Turkey, Turkey Broth, Chicken Liver, Water, Dried Egg Whites, Potato Starch, Ground Brown Rice, Spinach, Flaxseed, Sodium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Cranberries, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Blueberries, Natural Flavor....

It's not on either food chart but it seems a little high carb because of the starch and rice.

3. Nicole & Baby

That's unfortunate..Baby likes it...I will remove it from the rotation!

4. Leslie & Maverick & Chaos-(GAs)

Leslie & Maverick & Chaos-(GAs) Member

I saw it in PetSmart and wasn't too impressed, even though the company's rep who was there was really touting it. There are potato starch and brown rice in the list of ingredients. It's also more expensive. For now, I'll stick to FF and Friskies.

5. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Please understand that you can tell very little from the ingredient label in terms of composition.

Please review my Commercial Canned Food page with respect to understanding ingredients versus composition.

6. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

PS.....until the pet food manufacturers have a gun held to their head and are forced to put something on the label that is actually USABLE.....you need to understand ingredients versus composition.

This discussion of composition would be a moot point if pet foods were labeled like a lot human foods are....ie.....grams of protein, fat, carbs......not just close-to-worthless GAs (mins and maxs).

If "rice" is listed, we have NO idea how much rice is actually in the food....or any other carb source, for that matter.....until we find out the composition (% of protein/fat/carb calories).

For instance, Wellness is loaded with a lot of high carb, species-inappropriate things (blueberries, carrots, sweet potatos, etc.) on their LABEL. However....the AMOUNTS must be pretty low because the grain-free ones are low in carb calories.

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

8. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Who is "Pat"?

I have a hard time with sites where the author does not identify themselves.

Maybe I have missed somewhere on the site where he/she has identified themselves.

9. Nicole & Baby

I have to agree with the expert Lisa DVM...in fact, it does not matter if I agree - she is the expert. I do not know about this food, but I do know that Baby is carb sensitive & her BG #s dropped after eating this, I also know some food choices on the food chart have rice, etc in them but are not HC.

I don't know, just my observations...but always willing to ask, learn, educate & go from there :mrgreen:

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

11. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

But it DOES matter! I never consider myself to be an "expert" in anything.....passionate maybe but not an expert.....

People should always feel free to disagree with anything that anyone says....no matter what letters are after their name.

Nobody is right all the time and everyone makes mistakes......

12. Nicole & Baby

I apologize if it came across that questions/healthy discussions/differences are not Ok, quite the contrary - of course nobody is all knowing or always right. However, I do belive that your research, articles & passion along with education makes you someone that I would listen to.
    I do agree that looking at labeled ingredients does not necessarily give an accurate picture of composition & that is the primay reason I asked about this canned food selection. I was just wondering if someone knew the carb content on this one or if they were feeding it, I do appreicate everyone's valuable input. Thanks!

13. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Janet's charts are made up from data that we have all collected when calling the companies. If it is not on Janet's chart, we urge everyone to pick up the phone and start the frustrating task of calling the companies and asking for the information as it is stated on Janet's page or my Commercial Canned Food page.

Once you get the info, let Janet know and, when she finds the time, she will add it to the chart.

14. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Good luck with Purina! :lol:
    ...just make sure ur clear in what ur askin' cuz even after you've made ur request clear, they still need clarification even after uv clarified the request in the first place! Geesh! Are we clear? :lol:

15. Nicole & Baby

Ronnie, LOL
    Is Blue Buffalo owned by Purina?

16. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, I looked them up once before, and didn't get anywhere. It may take a bit more diggin..

do u have a can with you? It may say more on the fine print the company name, distributer or supplier even could tell u who the company might be.

17. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

Apparently not. I found the following info about them:

Link to Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Buffalo_Company

18. Nicole & Baby

Thanks for the follow up & information!!

19. Tara and Austin (Aussie)

Tara and Austin (Aussie) Member

20. paige

paige Well-Known Member

By looking at the ingredients listed at the beginning of this post, I would have thought that the sweet potatoes, cranberries and carrots would make it high carb.

Thanks for asking this question Nicole. I am going to read about "composition" now. :smile:

21. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

It's all about amounts.

I once joked with the Wellness rep about the fact that...given how expensive blueberries are...there are probably all of TWO blueberries in each can so they can legally put blueberrIES on the label.

He said "of course, you are correct"......

If something is high carb but present in SMALL amounts, the contribution to the carb content will be negligible. Hence the need to pay attention to composition...not just ingredients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.