Can't get an IM appt until the end of August, GRRR

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Susan & Claudio, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

I must have called at least 2 dozen different IM vets. 99.9% of them don't have a clue what acromegaly is.
    Found one practice that there is a endo who knows and has treated acro cats. BUT... can't get an appointment until the end of August :(.
    So I called the regular vet and talked with the office staff. Thank GOD she and I get along real well.
    I told her about all my phone calls and the one endo who has experience, but is back logged for 2 & 1/2 months. I also told her that the only reason I was going to go to the IM was to get a script for cabergoline.
    Because I can't afford surgery or SRT, there's no point in getting mri's, xrays, etc. She agreed with me, she had to talk with the vet first. The vet was with an emergency patient and when the vet was finished, she would talk with her. Then call me back. Well, it's been hours. I have a feeling the vet is going to call me back.
    How can I ask her for the script without sounding pushy or telling her how to do her job ?
    It's a fine line between being advocate for my cat and being pushy. I don't want to come off as a know-it-all. Just someone who has done a ton of reading.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I gave my vet, via email after a phone conversation with her, links to info on cabergoline I found in this forum including the link to this forum. A couplr pg days later she got back to and she wrote a script. She also called around to different compounding pharmacies and found Wedgewood was the lease expensive. I wouod try similar approach with your vet.

Susan & Claudio likes this.
  3. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Thanks. I would like it if someone could post the links to research papers. I think if I could show her legit research, instead of what was stated on this forum, she would be inclined to agree with me. She may think we are a bunch of "crazy" cat people. Once we've been established for a while, then I can mention this site. When we went there last Friday that was our first visit there.
    I like her and hope she is willing to work with me.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I gave the vet all the research papers on our 1st visit. I gave her a week to read them. Then I called to ask what she thought. Then we went in for 2nd exam. She agreed after that.

6. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Well the vet called me back today. She will not write a script for cabergoline. Since she has zero experience with acro cats, she is not willing to take a risk. I understand her point. But I also would never try anything that would put my cat at risk.
    Since she wants Claudio back for a follow up in 2 months, I will make that appt before I make an appt at the IM. I will ask again. I can be tenacious. I'll even sign a waiver releasing her of any responsibility concerning the cabergoline.
    I also printed out two studies ( 20 pages worth !!) that she can read. I'd hate to go to the IM just for a piece of paper and probably never go back to.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I had to sign waiver and agree to regular fructosomine tests. Vet only did the fructosomine then went by my ss.

8. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

I think you mentioned the waiver before. That's where I got the idea. So thanks. :)