Can't get levels down pass mid 300s

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SBus, Jan 25, 2021.

1. SBus

SBus New Member

My cat Abbey has been diabetic for almost 3 years. She started on lantus for about a year got it to mid 200s she was on 5 units twice a day. Then couldn't get lantus so vet switched her to vetsulin for about 6 months. It made her sugars jump all around never even got close to a balance. Then I found the fb group what a great group. They told me about Marks pharmacy. They couldn't get lantus but told me about basaglar saying it was the same. So got it ordered. Started her on 2 units twice a day slowly keep working up to 5 units twice a day like she was on. Her sugar balanced out but stayed in the mid 300s. I actually worked her up to 7 units still in mid 300s. So been working to lower the units down. At 4.5 right now. Mids 300s r at feeding time. About 2 hours after eating & her shot it drops to the low 300s. Very seldom makes it in the 200s. Right now just lost as to what to do to help her more. Getting close to time to reorder her meds. Have tester her ketones a couple times & they same good. She still drinks alot of water & seems hungry most of the time. She eats friskies pate half can 4 times a day. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated

2. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. SBus

SBus New Member

No I haven't made one in a long time. I'm only home for her night time shot. Tonight it was 386 then after 3 hours it only dropped to 357. It is about the same each night usually only a 30-40 point drop.

4. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Your signature indicates you give wet food, but not which one? Any chance there is a better food out there?

Also, I assume someone else is giving the morning shot? Could this person collect some data? It is very hard to know what is going on without data. Perhaps you can do a curve on a day off?

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Have you ever had her tested for acromegaly and IAA?
    Why did you decide to lower her dose?

6. SBus

SBus New Member

JanetNJ I don't think she has been tested I'll check into it.

Hercules mum she eats friskies pate. They have enough trouble just giving her shot. But I have a day off next week & will try to get some reading

Hercule's mum likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

We
    usually recommend that people have their cats tested once they hit over 6 units, esp if infection had been ruled out.