? carb % in dry food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane and Kierra, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

Is there a chart for % carbs for different brands of dry food? Is it calculated the same as for canned food?

Kierra got into my other kitty's dry food today and I want to figure out the carbs. It is N&D Prime Lamb. I am not sure I am calculating this right though.

Is 15% carbs right? I'm a little surprised, it is not as bad as I thought it would be. I know guaranteed analysis is a guestimate but unless there is a dry food chart somewhere, that's all I have right now.

Protein=42%
    Fat=20%
    Fiber=1.8%
    Ash=8.9%
    bunch of small items like DHA/EPA, Ca, etc=8.6%
    Moisture=8%

It all adds up to 86.3

100-86.3=13.7 carbs (with moisture)
    100-8=92% dry matter
    13.7/92=15% carbs

Their website says this: Percentage of Protein from Animal Sources: 98%; Calories ME from: Protein: 38%; Fats: 43%; All Other Ingredients: 19%.

I don't know what "all other ingredients" means, maybe it means carbs?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a dry food chart anywhere but you can usually punch those numbers into a carb calculator to get a rough estimate.

I put the info in two different calculators and they averaged around 20% carbs.

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.
    It looks like it does mean carbs. The three sources of calories are protein, fat, and carbohydrate. And the ME (metabolizable energy) values you've been given add up to 100%. So, it looks like the 19% is the percentage of calories from carbohydrate.

Just for general info...
    On FDMB we compare on a 'percentage of calories from carbs' basis. And the online calculator in the link below can work that out in seconds. (Woohoo!)
    However... For people in the US a challenge can be getting sufficiently accurate data to do the calculation with in the first place. The data on the packaging usually just shows what's called 'Guaranteed Analysis', and this only guarantees minimum or maximum percentages for protein, fat, moisture, etc. It doesn't tell us what is actually or even typically in the product.
    To do a calculation we need to know either the current as fed values, or the 'typical analysis' (wet or dry, it doesn't matter). It can be necessary to contact the manufacturer for this info. Sometimes this will be on the manufacturer's website. ...And sometimes you may be really lucky and the ME percentages are already worked out for you! :woot:
    https://secure.balanceit.com/tools/_gaconverter/index.php?

Eliz

Critter Mom and Panic like this.
  4. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I emailed the company but haven't heard back.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Kierra is a very pretty cat. :cat:

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.