Cat food shortage - what to feed cat with IBD?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Oct 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Note: please don’t say “raw” or “home made”, as that won’t be feasible for me.

My cat Bella isn’t diabetic, but she has been diagnosed with IBD for about 2 years now, and has been on Royal Canin Select Protein food the entire time. That is, until a few weeks ago, when the food went out of stock, presumably thanks to COVID. Having had Frosty and knowing about all the good cat food options, I quickly switched her to Ziwi venison, and she continued to do great. Even my IM vet was happy with it. (She’s also on prendisolone daily). But of course now that’s out of stock… so what the heck do I feed her now?!

I called the vet and left a message, but I’m worried I’m running out of good options, and wanted to pick your brains. What’s everyone feeding their IBD, protein - sensitive cats nowadays? (that isn’t raw or home made) I’m worried the vet is going to recommend that dry partially-hydrolized stuff … Looking for any other suggestions that come in a can.

2. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

Hello! My cat has food allergies, although to which proteins exactly I'm not 100% sure. She was prescribed Royal Canin limited ingredient wet food and has done well with their duck and rabbit varieties. I'm in the process of finding something lower carb. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Duck and Pea Protein seems to work. I switched her cold turkey at first, which caused her to have diarrhea but now I'm trying again but more gradually.

I tried Koha duck but she had an allergic reaction. It does contain mussels. I also gave her Rawz duck that same day but she didn't eat much. She was probably still feeling bad from eating the Koha so I may try it again down the line.

Just earlier today I tried to order more of the Royal Canin on Chewy but it was sold out. I didn't know there was a shortage.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ana, it’s very frustrating when cat food becomes out of stock, especially when you are limited in what to feed.
    I was wondering if you have joined any of the IBD groups on Facebook? There are some really knowledgeable people there who could probably help you with food and other ideas.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Katie & Marcy

Katie & Marcy Member

Here’s my list I compiled of brands that have novel protein foods; hound and gatos, koha, ziwi peak, rawz, and feline natural. If you don’t have to go low carb, I’m sure it would open a lot more options for you. I’m currently feeding hound and gatos because it’s the cheapest option, I’ll go down the list if I have to, if her current food doesn’t end up working out for her.

5. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Tha
    Thank you so much! Yeah, low carb would be ideal, but at this point I’m desperate so anything that has selected protein. I’m so upset about Ziwi being out of stock, it’s perfect - low carb, only venison, and Bella tolerated it well. :mad: I’ll look into these other brands , I hope I can find something local for tonight!

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

7. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

Instinct also has some novel proteins, but at least some of them have a second protein ingredient (duck has turkey, and venison has pork, for example) so it's important to check the ingredient list for a full picture. Depending on what proteins Bella tolerates, these could be an option.

https://www.chewy.com/brands/wet-food-12062

8. Katie & Marcy

Katie & Marcy Member

Oh I forgot to add redbarn and Canada fresh, they have a single protein lamb option as well. It seems like everything is going out of stock. I was going to start my cat on a different food but it was out of stock at the time, and I didn’t want to start her on something that wouldn’t be easily available. So I chose something else, and now that’s out of stock too, I have a months worth at least, to try to wait it out.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  9. Ana & Frosty (GA)

[
    yeah, my husband actually got some for the cat for today since We couldn’t find anything else, he got rabbit (which I feel sad about) but it’s literally all they had at the store. I know it probably has something else that she can’t have, but we have to feed her SOMETHING until we find a suitable alternative that is available :arghh: so im just gonna cross my fingers ans doesn’t she doesn’t get sick :facepalm:. She is on a little bit of prednisone so I hope that this makes it easier for her to tolerate all these new foods we’re introducing :eek:

YES, this IS the one! I swear, it was not available anywhere I looked yesterday. Thank you, I just ordered a box, but it’s significantly more expensive on Amazon than it normally is on Chewy they’re price gouging I think, which is really awful. But I need to buy myself some time to do research on the other brands you guys recommended - mostly to see if/where they’re available.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Will Frosty eat the ZiwiPeat lamb or rabbit and lamb? They would both be novel proteins. They also have air dried foods in the same novel proteins. Stella & Chewy's had a freeze dried rabbit that my kitties love!

Re. the ZiwiPeak, remember to check on the availability of the different sized cans. Chewy's sometimes is out of stock of one size but not the other.

11. Ana & Frosty (GA)

So right now we feed Bella (not Frosty, Frosty is/was my GA sugar kitty with Cushing’s… man, he would eat everything) instinct rabbit Bc that’s what my husband got, but it has pork. She used to eat freeze dried raw pork in the past… I was wondering if lamb would be novel, I wasn’t sure if it was an ingredient she has been exposed to in the past through regular, Inexpensive cat food like fancy feast… good to know! I’ll look into that more then.

I did check all the different sizes and different websites, I only was able to find 1 size on Amazon, but like I said, they jacked up the prices … probably bought it off chewy and charged $10 more for the same thing. I really hate Amazon. I’m definitely not buying from them again for that price. Will have to find something else.

Thanks for your help!

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I had to call Chewy's. They did say some of the ZiwiPeak was on back order but they expect to have it in 2 weeks.

One thing I learned during the height of the pandemic. Chewy's fills autoship orders as their first priority. I was rarely missing shipments and I did have an extra month of food on hand.

13. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I do have it on autoship, but nope, no luck, every time they send me the “thank you for your order” email I cross my fingers that maybe they have an extra stash they ate sending their auto ship people. NOPE. No luck. It really stinks that there’s such a shortage of what seems to be many different products now again… even though the pandemic isn’t causing any active lockdowns right now (that I know of). It’s getting kinda scary looking at the empty shelves. I couldn’t even find juice for my daughter the other day. Ugh.

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

You are welcome, I'm glad I was able to help you out, good luck with researching the other brands

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Nature's Variety Instinct has a LID, limited ingredient line. Where the rabbit is only rabbit, plus some pea protein. :rolleyes: I found the version with pork goes down better than the LID one that got snubbed.

Identity is another company that makes single ingredient options, including pork, lamb, quail, rabbit, and bison.

In Canada we even have options made with insect larvae. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.