cat hates/fights his injections

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Michele & Theo, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Michele & Theo

Michele & Theo Member

Theo absolutely hates and fights me when it is time for his insulin injections but doesn't mind having BG testing done. I have to wrap him in a towel and cover his head when I give him the injections or he tries to bite and scratch me (growling the entire time). I am using the Prozinc syringe/disposal kit which has the U-40 needles. The protocol I use is: test BG, injection, food (he eats 1 can of the Purina DM selects after each shot). He gets a dose of methyl B12 & folic acid with his food to help with his severe neuropathy. Question: is it possible that the insulin stings when injected? I do warm the insulin to room temperature before he gets injected.

At this time the approx average of both his morning & evening BG levels is around 19-20 mmol/L (342-360 mg/dL). We aren't having much luck at lowering the levels (we've adjusted the dose 3 times)... mid day levels are mid to high teens (mmol/L).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts:cat:

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle ... try injecting him while he’s eating. Hopefully he will be so distracted by food he won’t even notice you coming at him with a needle.

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  3. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

Our guy does not like being tested, but he doesn't even seem to notice if I inject while he's distracted eating. If I wait til he's nearly done he's like what the heck are you doing back there? And tries to wander off, but if I wait just enough he doesn't care at all.

4. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

We also inject while eating. He's so food motivated that it doesn't seem to phase him.

Also, I would suggest checking the gauge of syringe needle. You may find a higher gauge (thinner) needle would bother him less.

5. Silvia

Silvia Member

I test/inject wearing a denim jacket and glasses for prevention. He's ok with injections but absolutely hates blood tests. I may go too hard with the pricking but since he's agitated, I try and go as fast as possible. I also test/inject on a table (mimicking the vet's office). I don't test/inject when he's in his bed or his favorite spot on the couch. I do like to provide him with a small treat after the blood test (I'm talking about a grape size of tuna, a pebble of dry food) but I'm scared that might mess with his numbers so I haven't been doing that.

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

We do support rewarding with a treat after testing, even before if you need to. Low carb treats like Pure Bites freeze dried chicken, the tuna, or small pieces of poached or baked unseasoned chicken breast are some suggestions. You can test wherever it's comfortable for both of you, a place with good lighting. I could not test Idjit up on a table or counter, he just isn't comfortable there and I don't think he feels safe. The low carb treat is not going to affect his numbers and might really help with the process.

7. Silvia

Silvia Member

I just don’t want to become aversive to him so I make the environment very salient as to where he will get pricked and where he won’t get pricked. The reward for him is that the process is over and he goes back to his favorite spot. It’s working right now. I’m sure it can get better if I provide treats. I’ll look into those suggestions.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  8. Michele & Theo

Michele & Theo Member

thanks for the welcome and advice. I use the spare bathroom counter for his testing/shots as it has good lighting and easy access to manage him. I wrap him in a large towel which helps a lot... to give him his shot, I cover his head.. it really takes just a few seconds, but if I don't cover his head he can quickly escape. He forgives me very quickly as he knows he gets to have breakfast/dinner right after - he is food driven. Since he hates his shot, I don't want to associate the shot with his food, so really don't want to give it while he is eating since it is critical that he eats. Re Zobaline, I'm hoping to see some improvement with the caps I had made at the pharmacy (basically only the active ingredients of the Zobaline)... it really bothers me to see him walk like this especially since all 4 paws are affected.

Silvia likes this.
  9. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Your routine should be test, feed then shoot. You don't want to give insulin only to find out kitty isn't interested in eating. Best to have at least some food in kitty and know he will eat before shooting. A lot of folks let kitty get started on their meal and shoot while their heads are buried in their dishes. If that doesn't work for you and you need to take kitty into the bathroom for the shot, try giving him half his food, then shoot and then give him the other half of his food as a reward for being a co-operative patient.
    Check your needles to ensure they have a good sharp point. There have been odd reports of getting needles that seemed a bit blunt.
    Keep the longest edge of the needle (bevel) to the top as you shoot. It helps ensure the sharpest point penetrates first making the injection far less uncomfortable.
    Where are you shooting? There are numerous areas of the body where you can shoot and perhaps a different site will not cause Theo as much stress.
    cat_injection_site_selection_graph_wider.jpg

10. Martas

Martas Member

Hola
    Mi gato también duele cuando me inyecto. Cuando clavo, ella no lo sabe, pero cuando me inyecta intenta escapar y se gira rápidamente, así que creo que es el líquido lo que le molesta.
    Resultados web
    traductor de Google
    https://translate.google.es ›...

El servicio gratuito de Google traduce instantáneamente palabras, frases y páginas web del español a más de 100 idiomas y viceversa.

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Translation : Hello
    My cat also hurts when I inject. When I nail her, she doesn't know, but when she injects me she tries to escape and spins quickly, so I think it's the liquid that bothers her.​
    You could try drawing up the insulin and letting it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before injecting and see if that helps. It may be the cold fluid she find uncomfortable.

Translation:
    Usted podría intentar la elaboración de la insulina y dejarlo reposar a temperatura ambiente durante unos minutos antes de inyectar y ver si eso ayuda. Puede ser el fluido frío que encuentra incómodo.​

Martas likes this.
  12. Martas

Martas Member

[QUOTE = "Mamá de MrWorfMen, post: 2362946, miembro: 12136"] Traducción: Hola
    Mi gato también duele cuando me inyecto. Cuando la clavo, ella no lo sabe, pero cuando me inyecta intenta escapar y gira rápidamente, así que creo que es el líquido lo que la molesta.​
    Puede intentar extraer la insulina y dejarla reposar a temperatura ambiente durante unos minutos antes de inyectar y ver si eso ayuda. Puede ser que el líquido frío le resulte incómodo.

Traducción:
    Usted podría intentar la elaboración de la insulina y dejarlo a la temperatura ambiente durante unos minutos antes de inyectar y ver si eso ayuda. Puede ser el fluido frío que se encuentra incómodo.​
    [/CITAR]
    ¡Muchas gracias!
    Así hago, pero a veces le molesta igual.

13. Silvia

Silvia Member

Hola. Yo dejo la injection con insulina afuera unos minutos para que no esté tan fría cuando lo inyectó. Prueba con eso. Yo noto que mi gato no lo tolera tan frío.

Martas likes this.
  14. Martas

Martas Member

Muchas gracias!