Cat infected with COVID-19 from owner in Belgium

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Larry and Kitties, Mar 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A domestic cat in Belgium has been infected with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus that's spreading across the globe, the government's FPS Public Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment announced March 27, according to news reports.

This is the first human-to-cat transmission of the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2). About a week after its owner got sick with COVID-19, after returning from a trip to Northern Italy, the cat developed coronavirus symptoms: diarrhea, vomiting and respiratory issues, Steven Van Gucht, virologist and federal spokesperson for the coronavirus epidemic in Belgium, told Live Science.

https://www.livescience.com/cat-infected-covid-19-from-owner.html?utm_source=notification

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Wow, unbelievable, thanks for posting this

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. met-rob

met-rob New Member

Fortunately the cat was reported to have recovered. Although, I wonder how old they are. I am curious whether elderly cats would be at a higher risk of mortality, as is seen in humans.

It is also interesting to learn that this kind of thing happened during the 2003 SARS outbreak.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow Larry THANKS!

5. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

one case makes me think something else might have been going on.. glad to hear the cat recovered (As I have read they do from it)

6. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.