Cat is all over the place with numbers! And now sick?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Jmo625, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmo625

Jmo625 New Member

Hi! My cat, Lulu, is 13, overweight, and been diabetic for about a year and a half. At one point, she went into remission for several months and then right back out again. Her numbers are all over the place! She is on Vetsulin, I home test and record her numbers. She currently eats FF Classics or Tiki Cat (both wet) twice a day, but I also leave a little dry (Blue Buffalo Wilderness Mature) at night and during the day. I also sometimes sprinkle a probiotic powder on her AM wet food that the. Eat gave me for my other cat. Until I found out Lulu was diabetic, she and my other cat lived only on dry food. She is still somewhat of an addict and seems to prefer that over the wet, although depending on the flavor, she will eat some of it.

The last two days, I have woken up to puke on my floor. One was undigested dry food and the next day it was mostly liquid. I assumed it was my other cat because she pukes all the time and has kidney failure. Yesterday, I witnessed Lulu puking up the dry food and there was a lot of it! Seemed more than she could really eat at one time. Weird. She’s been just laying around yesterday and today (more than normal, I think) and keeps changing sleeping positions. She would not eat any wet food this morning, but her numbers indicate she did eat some dry food. I saw her drink a bit. She normally drinks and pees a ton and I have not seen her use the litter box yet today. It also seems she has been meowing at me more.

What the heck is going on with her? I was hoping to avoid yet another trip to the vet and just monitor her today. Should I go ahead and make the appointment? Is this something that can happen with diabetic cats?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You have to be extra vigilant with a diabetic cat. Not eating well, vomiting, lethargy, etc. can be signs of pancreatitis among other things. I would get her to the vet for a check up if she doesn't rally by tomorrow.

3. Jmo625

Jmo625 New Member

I made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I am so worried about her. She been sleeping most the day and hasn’t eaten except for a few treats. Poor girl! I hope this is treatable!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If it does turn out to be pancratitis the treatment is usually sub q's for hydration, cerenia for nausea and bupe for pain as it's quite painful.

The dry food you are feeding is somewhere around 25-30% carb. It has rice as one of the top ingredients and is not diabetic friendly. You want to keep carbs under 10 percent. If you want to give small amounts of dry there are a few better choices under 10 percent carb.... Epigen 90, young again zero (Youngagainpetfood.com), and dr.elsley's Clean Protein chicken. All three companies will send a free sample if you ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.