? Cat Not Eating Much, Skip Night Dose?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack Member

Hello everyone, my 16 year old cat Merlin got diagnosed a couple of months ago and is on two doses of Vetsulin, one in the morning and one at night. I went on a trip to visit family the last couple of days and he stayed in the vet since they also have kennel services. I would call to check on him and they said he had been eating fine and having no trouble getting his shot. How ever I brought him home in the afternoon yesterday and between then and today he has been rather down and not wanting to eat much. Last night he only munched on about half his food and today he did the same on the morning. I gave him the dose last night and this morning, however i am not sure if to give him the one tonight if he wont eat. I know it's probably he is jsut getting back to his groove from being there for some days but I dont know if it would be a good idea to not pressure him to eat and just let him get back to it and resume doses tomorrow morning if he eats better. Any suggestions? If it helps, he is eating wet KD food, before he would just eat it fast bbut now he is jsut slowly nibbling. Thanks!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

We base our advice on blood glucose numbers from testing at home and logging them on a spreadsheet. The conventional wisdom is to give maybe a half dose if the kitty isn't eating well. It's best not to skip if at all possible.

3. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

this afternoon he had his at 163 on a human meter. thanks, i'll give him half a dose then. he is only eating half his food.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Cris, in order to more properly advise you, it would be helpful to have more info on Merlin. Could you please create your signature so that Merlin's info is available with your posts? Here is a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    Would you also set up the spreadsheet so that Merlin's insulin times/dose plus the testing results are available in a visual representation that can be viewed by advising members? Here is a link to the area where there are instructions on how to set up the spreadsheet as well as how to understand the grid. SPREADSHEET INFO

5. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

Thanks Idjit's Mom, I'm currently working on that. I was kind of freaking out since he had been eating so regularly and now he has been so down. Hopefully I can update you all on his info soon!

6. Idjit's mom

Try not to worry too much, it saps your energy and is not helpful to you or Merlin. Get done what you can, when you can. :bighug:
    Please keep us posted.

7. Kris & Teasel

How is Merlin doing today?

8. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

Hey everyone, Merlin is still being fussy abut his food. I say being fussy because he has eaten when i add a touch of garnish to his food and he does eat his food just very slowly. The problem seems to be getting him back on his schedule. But so far his BG is not going up to drastically. I have been giving him half his dose since so far he is only eating half his meal by the time his insulin is due. Keeping calm mainly because he is eating he is just being slow about it and a bit fussy. But I am guessing that as I said in the original post, he had been staying away from home for a couple of days since i was visiting family. I will keep you all posted! Thanks for the advice here!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  9. Idjit's mom

@Cris and Merlin Please remove the 911 from your title. It's an emergency beacon for the members here and this isn't an emergency, thank goodness.

10. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

Hello everyone! Just wanted to update you as we had progress tonight. This morning he was still being fussy with his food so again I had to give him just half. But tonight he ate most of his food on schedule! No need for garnishes or added treats or anything like that.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

Excellent! :)