cat on honymoon but he has low bg

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by romulus, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romulus

romulus New Member

I am new to the message board and not sure how to use it. My name is Cindy and my cat is Tablet. Tablet was diagnose last jan 2010. He was a over weight orange tabby cat of about 8 or 9 yo. He was a stray not sure of age, way under weight when I found him 5 years ago. Tablet became over weight and ate dry food and can. He lost weight last summer and started over: peeing, drinking, and eating last december, and had lost weight. He has been on lantus inslin injection pen, Jan 18 to march 20 of this year. I was testing his glocose at home and it kept coming up 58 to 64, so I took him off insiln about a week ago and still his glucose comes up 64. Is that to low? last friday he had a low blood sugar attack. I gave him frosting he recovered, why is he still having low blood sugar it is scary? Tablet has been on a grain free diet for over a month wervua . Does tablet need a higher carb food. He also seems not to be drinking enough water, and his urine does not smell like normal cat pee. Please how do i raise his glocose and what is a normal bg? should i change his food? I am afraid to go back to the old food that may raise his bg up to 300 again. I guess Tablet and I are in a honey noon with too low of a blood glucose?
    i do not know what to do help? kittycatclh @ gmail.com (remove spaces)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The 64 is fine for a feline not on insulin. Unless the feline has a very very rare problem, it is impossible for a feline BG to go too low when not on insulin.

Non diabetic cats, including those in remission to not urine that much compared to diabetic cats. I can's say much about the urine odor since you did not say what it smelled like. Maybe now it is normal and when diabetic and spilling glucose in the urine it smelled different.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi Cindy and Tablet,

I agree with Larry.

From the PetDiabetes wiki, "50-130 mg/dl is a non-diabetic range. These numbers, when not giving insulin, are very good news."

No need to change Tablet's food back. Diabetic cats that are regulated or in remission and eating wet food drink little water. Their bodies need less fluids than they did when blood glucose levels were high, and they get moisture from the wet food. Check the food's ingredients. "Water sufficient for processing" is usually the first or second ingredient.

I've seen that diabetic cats approaching remission often experience a hypoglycemic episode (or two) before the caregiver realizes that insulin is no longer needed.

Congrats on the remission. If you have extra Lantus pens, you should hold onto them for a bit just to make sure Tablet does not lose remission. After that, you could consider donating them to another cat(s) by posting on this Board's Supply Closet forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.