CC not feeling well

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JanetNJ, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure she might be constipated. She ate breakfast yesterday but than nothing last night or this morning. I opened three different foods including high carb gravy food that she usually goes nuts for. Literally the only thing I could get her to eat are about 7 party mix. She drank a little.... But I will give her some sub q's this afternoon. Yesterday I found a hard round poop nugget near her, so I'm assuming she did that. Last time she didn't eat like this it was constipation. SO I dissolved just under 1/4 tsp of Miralax and syringe it in. I'm hoping that resolves it. If she doesn't improve I'll take her to the vet. :(

I hope that's all it is and she's not having a kidney crash. I have her on the top floor by herself so I can see if there are any poops in the box. Currently she's hiding in a closet.

Send some positive vibes her way.

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Oh no! Truckloads of positive vibes and prayers on their way for your dear girl.

((( CC )))

Fingers and paws crossed that it's constipation. Is there any way you could get her in to the vet today for an examination? The Miralax won't help much if there's poop already backed up. If the vet finds hardened stool present they could administer an enema to clear things out, allowing time for preventative measures to kick in.

Be sure to keep us posted, Janet.

:bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  3. JanetNJ

I can't until this afternoon at the earliest.... My kiddo has virtual school. I'm worried. Yesterday she was acting odd, screaming by the front door to go out. There's lots of snow out so we opened the door to show her she didn't want to go out. We'll she proved is wrong and went out there and laid in the snow. We let her explore for a few min. When we brought her in she couldn't use her back legs. It freaked me out. I through on my shoes ready to go to an emergency vet. But once she was inside for a min she was normal again. Scared the heck out of me.

4. Critter Mom

Hopefully that was just down to the cold, but I'd have been scared out of my wits in that situation. (((Janet))) I'm glad that it was only a transient phenomenon.

If CC is constipated that might be hampering clearance of some toxins from the body. Re the odd vocalising, Tanya's Site notes that one possible cause of howling behaviour is uraemia. (Just chucking ideas out here, nothing more.)

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Reason for edit: Grammar.
    JanetNJ likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

She has gotten herself into the back of a closet that has a small storage access in the back.... She pushed herself through the door and is laying in a small crawlspace refusing to come out. This cat is giving me a migraine. Lol. So when we can I'm going to have to somehow squeeze in there and get her. But someone will have to hold the panel up for me or I'm not getting out of there. I'm too big for the space. Lol. Omg. This day. I can't.

6. Critter Mom

(((Janet and CC)))

Mogs

7. JanetNJ

Ok so I went upstairs to try a rescue mission and she was already out waiting by the door. Whew. I brought her downstairs and she's sitting on the bed. I think she's dehydrated because usually her ears bleed really easily and this time it took a bunch of tries. I felt like a newbie. Lolol do sub q's after lunch. She took two licks of her food and three more party mix pieces. I lowered her dose this morning because she wasn't eating but the party mix is keeping her numbers high.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

@Janet, i'm sorry i can't offer any advice but i'm thinking of you and CC.
    Hopefully it's constipation and you can get her to the vets for a check up and maybe he can clear her out because she will have belly ache and feeling terrible.
    If you think she is dehydrated then that will cause constipation.
    Thinking of you both.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Thank goodness for that. (((CC)))

This.

Mogs

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I hope you can get CC to the vet to get checked out.
    Keep us updated Janet ♥:bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Could she be b12 deficient? And that’s the reason for not being able to poop? Do you give her S Boulardii? Hope she feels better soon!!

12. Critter Mom

How's CC doing now, Janet?

(((CC)))

Mogs

13. JanetNJ

still not eating. I just gave more miralax, 100 ml sub q's, and assist fed about 6-8ml of food. I'll get more food in her later. I'm so so sad and scared. I called my vet, they had nothing today or tomorrow. I called a different vet. THey are booked until MONDAY. WTF. If I can't get her in somewhere tomorrow I may have to bring her to an emergency vet. Unfortunately I'm also getting a minor surgery on MYSELF tomorrow, so not sure how I'll feel to be doing this. This is just terrible, and I'm afraid she may be nearing the end.

14. JanetNJ

She gets b12 several times a week. She gets Proviable probiotics. I'll add more b12 to the food i'm syringing in her.

15. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

@JanetNJ please, please get her to an emergency vet today if you can.

16. Critter Mom

That's awful! :( I'm very grateful to have vets that provide emergency cover. Last week when Lúnasa developed a mobility problem and they gave me an appointment for a couple of hours later. If it had been more serious they'd have seen her straight away.

I hope you can get CC in to a vet ASAP and that your surgery goes OK. Keeping up prayers for you both.

(((Janet and CC)))

Mogs

17. JanetNJ

Usually they can get me in but I guess with the snow and everything they got backed up. I decided to bring her to the er. She just went in. I'm so nervous

18. Critter Mom

You've got CC to where she'll be able to get any help she might need. Sucks that you can't go in with her for the consult (thanks a bunch, covid).

I've got sleep meds on board and I'm about to keel over, otherwise I'd stay on with you for a bit of moral support. Praying it will be OK...

(((Janet and CC)))

Mogs

19. JanetNJ

Thanks. She's going to do a cbc, snap test and x ray. She did say she was dehydrated (thank goodness I gave her fluids tonight!!) and that she felt hard fecal matter which I guess the xray will confirm.

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. Critter Mom

Good that the vet's found a hard stool. Not great that CC has a hard stool but positive in the sense that there's something obvious to treat and which could make CC feel a lot more comfortable once it's dealt with.

Off to the leaba now. Can barely type. Can barely see.

(((Janet and CC)))

Mogs

21. JanetNJ

She has a huge tumor which has made her severely anemic. The vet said she doesn't know how she's even still with us. In the end it wasn't the kidneys, thyroid or acromegaly that got her.

I brought her home to have one last night with her. Tomorrow she will cross rainbow bridge.

I'm devistated.

22. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Oh no... I'm so sorry to read this sad news. Lots of virtual scritches coming from us. You both have been through so much and you've been the best mom for her. Fly free little one. :bighug:

23. Luxe

Luxe Member

Oh no! Im so so sorry! Hugs to you and CC

24. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Oh Janet. :(

I’m so sorry.

These acro kitties consume out thoughts, take over our lives, and challenge our limitations. But they troup on, and so therefore do we, knowing in our hearts that it can’t be that way forever but buoyed by all they’ve overcome. And then ... there’s that one thing that blindsides us.

I wish there was something I could say or do. But there’s not. Just know that you’re not alone, and that I (and others) will be thinking of you and are by your side virtually as you navigate this final journey. Hugs to you and your family and special scritches for CC.

JanetNJ likes this.
  25. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

So so sorry Janet, thinking of you and CC.
    :(

26. JanetNJ

@Marje and Gracie can you look at the labs? They are in my spreadsheet. I mean clearly she's deathly anemic. What I don't understand is how he creatnine is showing as 1.0 and bun only 36 when in Dec she was 2.8 and bun 62? Is the anemia making it look like it's lower?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  27. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

@JanetNJ
    Just to let you know, the tag you added on your post is not showing so they won't get the notification.
    I will put who i think it is for you.
    @Marje and Gracie

Critter Mom likes this.
  28. JanetNJ

Oh ty I fixed it now. I stayed up all night with her. I just can't imagine letting her go. She is not eating but she's drinking and purring and rubbing her cheek on my hand. I'm so incredibly sad. Plus today in having skin cancer removed and in two days it's my birthday. :(

29. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Oh Janet. :( my heart goes out to you.
    Is there anyway possible you can get a second opinion with CC, plead with your normal vet to see her.

30. JL and Chip

@JanetNJ There’s nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. Sometimes we need that for peace of mind...

Years ago my dog was diagnosed with an inoperable tumor that was causing her to lose blood and be significantly anemic. She was tired but not quite ready to quit, and I couldn’t bring myself to put her down on such short notice, especially at an ER 2 hours from home. So we gave her a blood transfusion, brought her home to be comfortable and break a few final rules, and I let her go a few days later. I know it’s not the same, but I hope you can find a way to navigate this with no regrets. And I’ll just say it... it sucks. :(

Critter Mom and JanetNJ like this.
  31. JanetNJ

We just broke the news to my 8 year old. Poor kid is inconsolable. It's so heartbreaking

32. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

FFS, poor lad, it will be so hard for him to understand at his age. Life really sucks at times.

33. JanetNJ

I wonder if it's showing that she's more anemic than she is because she had 100 ml of sub q's beforehand.

34. JanetNJ

There's a humongous poop in one of the boxes. I wonder if the Miralax helped her get it out. Either that or one of my other cats was constipated too

35. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

I can't say Janet but i would be straight on the phone to my vets as soon as it opens, you 100% need a second opinion, beg them to see her.
    As for the poop, if it is CC then i'm sure it will make her feel a little better and she might eat something.

Critter Mom likes this.
  36. JanetNJ

We syringed in about 15 ml of food. After she locked a little tuna broth on her own. She hustled down the hallway at a good speed but then her legs got a bit shaky

37. JL and Chip

Since the values are so different than previously, you could always re-run the blood work just to be sure there wasn’t a glitch. It might not be likely (so don’t get your hopes up), but I did have it happen one time and it caused a bit of short-term drama.

Where is the tumor located?

38. Critter Mom

Oh Janet.... :(

My heart aches for you all. CC is a legend at FDMB.

That's 'cause CC has an awesome Person and you've given her such wonderful care.

(((Janet, CC and Family)))

Mogs

JanetNJ likes this.
  39. JanetNJ

In her abdominal area. I made an appointment for tonight at 6:20. I can't believe it. I really thought she would make it to 18.

40. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

She will make it Janet. It sounds like she's picked up since she went to the toilet. Keep the faith.
    Good luck with you're operation today. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

41. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Janet, there is always so much on your plate. You are a superwoman. Today, however is different. If you can't manage everything today and CC is not in discomfort, you can reschedule. In the time you have remaining, love her to bits. Sink your hands into all that gorgeous fur. :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  42. JanetNJ

She really is so so beautiful. :( I'm back from my surgery.

43. Critter Mom

(((Janet and CC)))

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

^ This. ^

Mogs

44. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Janet....I don’t know the answer to that question. I have seen many anemic cats but I haven’t seen the creatinine come down like that so that’s a question best put to the vet.

What I do know is that if you have decide to give her a chance instead of the alternative, she needs a transfusion immediately. The subq fluids will not affect her anemia (i.e. will not cause her to be anemic).

Have you seen any black substance like poo or in her box or coming from her bum? That would lead me to believe she potentially has an internal bleed (maybe due to tumor??) which can drop the hematocrit into anemia quickly. Then they become extremely lethargic.

Also...because of her acro....I am not certain about the odd things you might see in labs. I’m tagging Wendy as she is more familiar with the effects of the acro on labs, etc.
    @Wendy&Neko

I am very, very sorry for your news and I know you will make the best decision for her. (((Janet))))
    I’m glad you are home safely from surgery.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  45. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Janet - I am so sorry about the news. You've been such an amazing mum for CC.:bighug::bighug: Spoil that girl rotten.

I've not seen acromegaly do anything odd in the labs, other than what other issues it causes, like kidney disease or other issues caused by organ growth or GI issues. Just yesterday we had another kitty (not acro) over in Lantus forum have a hemangiosarcoma removed with his kidney. It too caused sudden anemia and he needed a couple transfusions until a new clinic diagnosed the issue. Clutching at straws here. Acros get the same conditions as other older cats.

JanetNJ likes this.
  46. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Dearest Janet, I am so sorry to hear about CC... Holding you both in my heart. xxx

JanetNJ likes this.
  47. Critter Mom

48. JanetNJ

We let her go last night.

49. Critter Mom

CC had a great life, surrounded by love and under your exceptional care.

My heart goes out to all of you, Janet. So hard... :(

(((Janet, Family, and Spirit CC)))

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

JanetNJ likes this.
  50. Critter Mom

51. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Janet))). I am so very sorry and send our deepest condolences. She had quite the life of love and amazing care with you and I hope you find peace in that.

Gentle journey, CC :rb_icon::rb_icon:

JanetNJ likes this.
  52. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I am so very very sorry, Janet
    :bighug::bighug:

JanetNJ likes this.
  53. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

@JanetNJ
    You did everything you could with CC.
    I have not known you long, but in the time that i have known you i have found that you are a wonderful person with the kindest of hearts towards your cats, even ones that you do not own. (Angel)
    Watch over your mum CC.

Critter Mom likes this.
  54. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm so so sorry Janet, you were the best mom CC could ever have.
    My heart breaks for you ♥Fly high sweet girl, cat_wings>o♥♥♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:

JanetNJ likes this.
  55. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

So very very sorry Janet.. treasure your precious memories...CC will live on in your heart forever.

JanetNJ likes this.
  56. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

So sorry (((Janet))). Fly high sweet CC cat_wings>o

JanetNJ likes this.
  57. Luxe

Luxe Member

So very sorry for your loss. You gave CC an amazing life

JanetNJ and Critter Mom like this.
  58. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

It is never easy. CC was a major part of your life for a long time. The world may seem a bit surreal in the coming days but sooner than you think, memories of CC will make your heart feel greater rather than broken.

Woke up to the sound of pouring rain
    Washed away a dream of you
    But nothing else could ever take you away
    'Cause you'll always be my dream come true
    Oh my darling, I love you

Sending you and your son massive bear hugs.

JanetNJ likes this.
  59. JanetNJ

TY. Ahh... a little Skid Row. ;)

60. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

As one Jersey Girl to another, I am so very sorry for your loss. I have not been a member of the board for long, but from what I have seen, you were an amazing, dedicated, and most devoted mom to CC. She will always be with you.

Wishing you peace, strength, and the comfort of all your wonderful memories.

61. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

62. JanetNJ

Today was better than yesterday, but still some moments that just sent tears flowing. Like when the time hit that I usually test her, but I had nothing to do. Putting out one less food bowl. An eBay alert that the test strips I buy were available. Erasing my alexa reminders to "Give CC her medicine". It all hurt my heart. Time will heal, but for now I just miss running my fingers through her soft fur and feeling her throat happily vibrate.

FrostD likes this.
  63. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Oh Janet I am so so sorry :bighug::bighug:

JanetNJ likes this.
  64. Critter Mom

Thinking of you all, and especially your little fella. :bighug:s:

:(

Mogs

JanetNJ likes this.
  65. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I'm so, so sorry you had to let CC go, Janet. I remember learning so much from you and her especially when I first joined FDMB. I hope the many memories you and your son have of her bring you both comfort.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

66. JanetNJ

Her legacy will be she helped others. I don't think I'll ever have another cat like her.

67. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

This choked me up. What a wonderful way to think about it.
    It's so hard letting true love go.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JanetNJ likes this.
  68. Diane Tyler's Mom

69. Wendy&Neko

(((Janet and son))) My deepest condolences.:bighug: She lived a really long and good life for a cat with acromegaly. You were a wonderful mum to her. Now it's time to take care of you. It's hard on us taking care of a cat with multiple conditions.

So true, those acros really are special kitties.

70. JanetNJ

If not for this tumor I bet I could have helped her get to 19 or 20. She was so strong willed.

Critter Mom likes this.
  71. Wendy&Neko

I know the feeling. :bighug::bighug::bighug: Acros are tough cats.

JanetNJ likes this.
  72. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Oh no, not CC :( I just saw your post on the FB group, and it broke my heart. I’m so very very sorry. You took such amazing care of her. The biggest of hugs to you.

JanetNJ likes this.
  73. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Janet - I just heard this news. Our Acro kittehs take so much from us. They always give us back more. I often thought of CC while treating Leo. They were both diagnosed with Acro the same year (2016).

You did everything for CC. It is a testament to your great care, that CC had such a relatively healthy life, despite the Acro and health issues. She was a sweet kitteh. I hope she landed softly at the bridge. CC was a sweet kitteh. And she left this world, knowing that she was loved. Theresa and I are thinking of you and your family this weekend.:rb_icon:

Critter Mom and JanetNJ like this.
  74. JanetNJ

Thank you very much

JeffJ likes this.
  75. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathies, Janet. I did not realize that CC was your kitty when I was looking at her spreadsheet in my google drive this morning. I saw your comment about "flying free" and felt so sad. Many prayers for you and your family's healing. You will see your girl again - God willing.

"Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep. You, LORD, preserve both people and animals."

Psalms 36:6 New International Version

JanetNJ likes this.
  76. JanetNJ

Ty

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  77. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Janet. CC is indeed a FDMB legend. :bighug: From the sound of it she was a lot stronger than she appeared. May your broken hearts heal soon.

JanetNJ likes this.
  78. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Oh dear, I am so sorry. What a shock. I hope that as time passes grief will yield to fond memories of the love you shared.

JanetNJ likes this.
  79. WYMoreta

WYMoreta Member

ECID - Definitely every cat is different, and each holds a special place in our hearts. What a beautiful legacy. My heart goes out to you and your little guy. I hope your minor surgery went well, and you are recuperating well.

Critter Mom likes this.
  80. JanetNJ

Ty I'm fine. It was just a small skin cancer spot I had removed. I am ready for the stitches to be removed though... They are annoying. I was watching Grey's Anatomy and a character in there had a mole that spread into brain cancer and I thought, hmmm. Maybe I should have this spot on my back checked. Good thing I did!

Teetee (UK), Critter Mom and WYMoreta like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.