Change Meters from AT2 to human?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Leigh B, May 30, 2019.

1. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Hey there- Wanted to reach out to get opinions about changing from AlphaTrak2 to human meters. I've always used AT, and am comfortable with the readings.
    HOWEVER, as most of you probably know, the strips are expensive!!
    I am trying to get my Murphy regulated, so I am testing him quite often.
    I've read through some of the threads on FDMB, and it seems complicated to change and get used to different reading numbers.
    I may just keep with what I am used to, but thought I'd ask advice from anyone who has changed from AT to human meters.

I have him on Zobaline and probiotics, too, and those, along with special food and AT test strips are breaking my wallet!! :arghh:

Thank you!

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Hi Leigh I’ve been where you are fairly recently. I changed from aT2 to human on April 4 th and was nervous but after the first few days I forgot about it. I chose Diarthrive. I don’t think a lot of people here are familiar with it so I may be the guinea pig but so far no problems. You order on line. They ship you the meter with the first order. Its a program where you get a 3 month supply of strips based on how much you test... I chose 400 strips every three months and it’s under $70!! Check them out on line. Not sure of the site and I’m in my car at the moment but if you google Diathrive it should come right up and you can look at their program subscription offering.

3. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

THANK YOU!! I will check it out. I am so used to the numbers with the AT, and that is part of my anxiety. Is it easy to get used to seeing different numerical values and translating them to the AT values?
    Hopefully, their website will spell it out for me.

4. MLT

MLT Member

I am new to all this, but from what I read, it appears that the variance between human and pet glucometers is more reliable at lower numbers; that the variance differs more if bg levels are high. (
    My cat's numbers are on the low end) That said, I use the AlphaTrak when doing curves, and use a ReliOn Prime human meter to test through the week. Available at Walmart. We do not have a Walmart near us/I do not usually shop there. I did buy the ReliOn Prime and have gone back to Walmart for test strips. Pharmacist fielded questions, and phone assistance is available.

5. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

The human meter reads in the same configuration as the AT2 it may just read a little lower. I double tested with both for the first few days and found the difference to be negligible and it didn’t effect my dosing.

6. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Thanks to you both!! I'll get a human meter and test with that, alongside AT for a few days until I get the hang of it!

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I used the Accuchek meter for years. It has a long memory, great manual and takes a very small amount of blood.

Leigh B likes this.