changes in hunger?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MHHCoach, Dec 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHHCoach

MHHCoach Member

tux normally pre-diabetes would graze throughout the day, on dry food.

then he had a extraction last Saturday and day he was diagnosed and his hunger is gradually increasing.

but alarmingly he today alone, ate 3.5 cans?! like he downed a can after eating a full can at 630pm (it's 130 am - he woke me by laying on my chest as if saying something isn't right. checked his bg, it's 115. +5.5 from .5/.75 dose)

he had some weird small limb twitches, 3 different areas.

so what the heck, is 2.5 cans okay... well 3.5 in 24 hours 730 am, 130 pm, 630pm, 115 am.

what is going on with his hunger?
    is this maybe because of the bounce?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Here is your previous thread. We link them for continuity
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/low-numbers.240404/
    Did you check his BG when he was twitching?
    His appetite may be better now that he has had the extraction.
    If he is asking for food, I would check his BG as cats will experience hunger when their BG drops low.

I would not leave it until+6 to get a test in the evening cycle. He could well have dropped much lower and be coming up at +6, especially when using vetsulin.
    The twitching could have been because of low numbers. At the moment if I were you, I would be getting a +2 and +3 every cycle if possible to see what the cycle is going to do.
    This morning you didn’t test at all during the cycle so we have no idea how low the 0.5 dose is taking him. If possible try and get at least one test in during every cycle ....and if that test is much lower than the preshot, I would test again to see if it is on the way back up.
    At the moment if he is hungry I would feed him unless he is overweight.

MHHCoach and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley,

Looking at the spreadsheet from yesterday, I'd suggest sticking with the 0.5IU dose of Vetsulin for now. For safety, a nadir no lower than 100 is wise to aim for (90 or lower means the dose should be immediately reduced by 0.25IU).

Also, following on from Bron's post above, any time the preshot is high enough and you give insulin, I'd recommend testing at +2 initially on each cycle because typically BGs will be dropping at that stage and it will give you an earlier picture of how low Tux might be heading. If he has dropped a fair bit by then you would have the option to give him a small feed to slow the drop and test again at +3 to see how he's doing and whether you need to keep testing/feed again.

If there's not much of a drop by +2, test at +3.

On the hunger, both low and high numbers can make a cat want more to eat. As Bron recommends, any time Tux exhibits strong hunger like that it's wise to check his BG.

Mogs

MHHCoach likes this.
  5. MHHCoach

MHHCoach Member

ya he went down to 115 when the hunger and twitching occurred.

he ate and it stopped.

ya i just noticed i hadn't been catching any am checks. so I'll have to catch that tomorrow morning.

thank you bunches for the ongoing help. I know Tux is doing so much better because of the time you all take to help the new folks.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.