Changing insulin time

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Juliak, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Juliak

Juliak New Member

Hello!
    I am seeking out some advice on changing insulin times.

My cat Mallory has been on prozinc for many years now. We have been feeding and dosing her at 8:30am (automatic snack mid day - no insulin) and 8:30pm. We are going out of town and we have two sitters who are able to help out. Our first sitter is watching her for 5 days and can administer the shot at 6:15am and 6:15pm, BUT our second sitter is watching her for 7 days and can only administer her shots at 11am and 11pm. We are worried about switching from 6:15 to 11:00. Does anyone have tips on how to do this safely? We don’t have anyone else to watch her so we need to find a way to best do this!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thank you,
    Julia

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

So with ProZinc you have about an hour leeway...so that 6 to 11 difference is too big (or short depending on how you look at it).

Do you know her BG range? Any history of ketones or DKA?

3. Juliak

Juliak New Member

Thanks for the response:)

I just went to check her BG range, but the batteries on her blood glucose meter are dead. I know her nadir happens around 2pm. She starts around 18/20, and goes down to about 4/6 and then back up to around 18/20. Not sure if that’s helpful. She had keystones once, but that was about 5 years ago when we first found out she had diabetes. She hasn’t had any issues since!

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok good! If her nadir is around 4-6 that's pretty good. In this case I would just spread the shots out - so like last shot given at 6pm, next shot 11am. If her numbers had been higher I'd have been concerned about ketones but it should be ok

5. Juliak

Juliak New Member

I got some batteries and checked. The last three nadirs were 3.2. , 3.8 + 4.1. A little lower than I thought. Do you think we his could still be ok to switch from 6pm to 11am? Thank you so much!

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

What is her current dose? Those nadirs are pretty low if nobody can monitor her during the day. I think you need to consider reducing the dose while you are gone.

But yes - more than 12 hours between shots is ok. I would not do any less than 11 hours apart.