Changing Kitty Dosage? Why would we keep it the same if numbers are still high? Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ASHFUR, Feb 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

this is a REPOST. I made a spreadsheet in an effort to get my question answered. I am feeling super alone in this and honestly I feel like I'm getting no support or answers from my vet. I can only contact her via email and it takes several days for a response. In my area vets are hard to come by due to COVID....so I am looking to you knowing people who have "been there, done that". I am learning as I go....I have been on this site for weeks reading and reading, googling and googling....

so here is my original question and I hope my spreadsheet grant me access to some opinions on this matter.......

Hi everyone...

My name is Kristi, my cat Ashfur was diagnosed with diabetes on Feb 1st 2021. I need to know if its normal to hold a diabetic cat at a starting dose of lantus insulin (2 units AM / 1.5 units PM) if his BG still is not reaching below 300's for the lowest part of the day? My vet tells me we are looking for "trends" not perfection but high numbers are still harmful to the cat right?

I wish I could post all of the pictures of his freestyle Libre graphs and show you what his curves look like on a daily basis but I could not figure out how to do it. Instead my profile picture is a picture a combined monthly graph showing the curves over the past few weeks. His insulin dose has only been changed once 10 days ago. from 1.5 in the AM to 2.0 in the AM and same 1.5 in the PM.

So my question is should I worry that his nadir isn't falling lower than what it is on his present dosage amount? I personally figured the point of having all this data (from the freestyle Libre) would be to adjust his dose until we get him closer to a healthy cat range. My vet seems to think the numbers look great and he's perfect where he is at? Does the graph look good? It looks super high to me still...

Does this make sense to hold the same dose? Is this a slower process than what I am thinking? I just need a second opinion.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. When I click on the spreadsheet link, it says I don't have permission to access it.

To answer questions in general, typically we'd start Lantus with the same dose in the AM and PM and always shoot same dose AM and PM. And after a week (possibly 5 days depending on dosing method/data), we'd increase if you aren't seeing anything below 300. Keeping a cat in high numbers for too long is stressful on their kidneys. Most vets like to keep cats in higher numbers, because their clients aren't home testing and that gives a margin of safety to keep a cat higher.

3. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

WOULD YOU TRY MY link for my spreadsheet again I think it should work now....

Thank you for your answer. I suppose that is similar to what my vet said when I asked why we were increasing day time dose and not the night time dose 10 days ago. However; so we just keep him at high numbers because I have to go to work from 3pm - 9 pm? I dose him at 10am/10pm everyday. My husband is gone from 3pm - 2 am and stays up with the cat until about 6am. so the cat is alone from about 2:30pm - 9:15pm tues thru friday. So to me night time he is more monitored.

4. Wendy&Neko

Yes, I can see the spreadsheet now. :)

With the dosing methods we use here, we find it better to give the same dose AM and PM. Since you can monitor better at night, it doesn't make sense to lower the dose then. I think you could try 2 units AM and PM. Do you have a backup manual blood glucose meter should the Libre become inoperable again? The Libre is good for trends but shouldn't be the only solution you have for blood sugar testing.

5. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

No I do not. I am going to order one today. I should have one on hand. Can you give me a suggestion for a good blood meter to purchase? Should I buy one for a cat or a human? I am starting him on 2 units PM/AM starting tonight. I will keep adding to his spreadsheet.

Can I also ask you -- Could we see his numbers suddenly go down over time if we never changed his dose? Is this what happens when they suddenly go into remission? I've changed his diet and he is 50/50 wet to hard food ratio (wet food is used for insulin times and he only eats a small part of it by licking all the juices out and I add water). He eats less than a 1/2 cup of crunchy food per day. I cant imagine that everyone that has a diabetic cat is home 24/7 and they still are able to find a dose suitable for them. I want to be cautious but I don't want to just stand by and be ok with 300 as a low for everyday.

Maybe it woulld be helpful for me to read other peoples time lines and cats stories. What they did when and how much so on and so forth...

6. Wendy&Neko

What country do you live in? Recommendations for meters vary by where you live. A human meter is fine, our dosing methods used human meter values. The Libre is a human meter. And the test strips are much cheaper and easier to obtain for human meters.

Good progress on getting rid of the crunchies. Diabetics do much better without cookies in their diet. It can also change, in a good way, how much insulin a cat needs. What wet food are you giving now?

Yes, people have diabetics cats and work, it is doable.

7. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

I live in US Oregon. DM pate and when they are sold out of pate he eats Fancy feast classic pate

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Ashfur. Many use Relion meters from Walmart and feed fancy feast pates. Just dropping all the dry food could greatly help chances of remission. You can also be more aggressive in dosage. ave a look at the two methods we use and you will see what I mean.

9. Wendy&Neko

Hello from up north also on the Pacific coast. I think a lot of people buy the Relion Prime cause it has the cheapest test strips, which you will go through quite a bit. Another important consideration when you are looking is the size of blood drop needed. The smaller the better.

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Also buy 26 or 28 gauge lancets for testing

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.