? Charlie AMPS 275 +6 253. Dose increase???

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah & Charlie-cat, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Sarah & Charlie-cat Member

Hi everyone.

I know we are overdue for a curve. Everything has been crap lately (work, my mother's heath, I've been sick), and I haven't been able to do it.

We reduced Charlie's steroid dose this week by half and his numbers have been wonky, including one in the low 300s, which he hasn't been in a long time. They are all in the morning, so I'm guessing he's bouncing? Although this morning, it took like 27 pokes in both ears and back elbow pads before we got enough blood for a successful test... was that a stress reading? He was stress shedding... or a bounce?

I've skipped a few doses when he was in the normal range at night because I didn't want him to go into hypoglycemia overnight. But in the morning he's out of the normal range again, not high, but above normal. I dunno what to do. Going to try to get some extra BGs today since I'll be home, but I have a feeling after this morning he's going to be hella pissy and not let me.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rm-EkOfJ9tugvljDWDunDbVvf5f-iEjgHchCTpzfkQw/edit?usp=sharing

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

When are you applying the transdermal steroid? Which steroid?
    SOmetimes when using a steroid only once daily one will see different BGs AM and PM.

3. Sarah & Charlie-cat

He gets the transdermal steroid at 5pmish, along with a small snack (a quarter of a can of FF pate).

He's been hangry at 2 am lately, on top of what we'd settled into as first breakfast between 5 and 6 (about a quarter of a can of FF pate).

4. La-La Leo

La-La Leo Well-Known Member

Not an expert, but my 2 cents that he needs more than 1/4 can after dinner, before 2am. I leave LC out for Leo when I go to bed because he probably needs something between the last snack (like the one you mentioned), but before the 2-hr cutoff the next morning. I have a timer set to pickup kitty bowls at 5:30 am--because of the 7:30ish BG. Definitely a pain to get up that early (for me since I end up staying up too late managing Leo). Fortunately my husband doesn't mind getting up to do this, but I guess his bio-clock wants him up to do necessities. I have to remind him--too often--to not pickup until the alarm goes off and not earlier. Leo might need a food boost at 4am, and if he picks up too soon.... well, that is potentially not good. I'm usually aware when the alarm goes off because I dismiss the alarm on my phone. I hope I didn't say too much and causing confusion.

You could use an autofeeder, too, that would open/rotate to a new food space or even nothing (to use for ensuring a 2hr fasting BG for AMPS). Of course I don't know your particular schedule.... you night work nights! Autofeeders are great. I been to start using it again to avoid the early morning wake up time. We only have one autofeeder, but two cats, so I just talked myself into getting a second one! LOL

Steroids definitely mess with blood sugar levels. :bighug:

5. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I do have a timed feeder. I don't think it's going to work at night since he bunks in my room with two, sometimes, three cats, one of which is a canine garbage can and eats everything in sight. I can't sleep with just Charlie in my room because psycho Kitty will scratch at the door until she gets through it. She's already destroyed it. And I can put him in his own room because he'll also scratch at the door. Too many cats!

I have a chip feeder but it's not working right now. I need to try to sort it out again.

He is currently getting a full can at 8am, a quarter of a can at 5pm, a full can at 8 pm, a quarter of a can at 10pm, a quarter-half of a can at 2 am and a quarter at 5 am. The vet said 2.5 cans, were probably closer to 3. I do have some Dr. Elsey's dry and I've tried that at night as being somewhat easier to pre-measure and dump in the middle of the night

His weight is up from 12lb at diagnosis (down from 17) and he's back to 13 now. He looks like he's at a good weight. He's not as stringy as he was at 12 and he's not a chonk waddle.

Feeding has been hard to tell because the steroids seem to make him ravenous all the time.

La-La Leo likes this.
  6. La-La Leo

La-La Leo Well-Known Member

As someone that's used steroids more often than I like (due to M.S.), steroids definitely cause hunger.... besides calming inflammation, it messes with BG and makes you have to urinate more frequently--besides feeling more hungry! I'm sorry your kitty is going through this, on top of the diabetes.

We just rehomed our 3rd kitty who was with us for over four years (when he was rehomed with us when my step-sis had to give him up). Our daughter has him now. It's only been one month without Isaiah (3rd kitty). It does make a difference having only two, but we sure miss him. Knowing he's with our daughter and knowing we can see him whenever we want (or have time), helps a lot. I know Leo misses him. The 2nd kitty is actually from the same litter as the 3rd and he doesn't seem to mind. LOL. #2 & #3 definitely had sibling rivalry.

Wow! You even have the chip feeder! That is the problem with the Cat Mate 5000... no chip and anyone can eat it when an open space of food opens :banghead: I eventually stopped using it, but now that we only have two kitties, I need a 2nd AF and see if this helps us get better sleep. Since Leo started getting insulin Jan 2022, my morning (fasting) BG is elevated! I've been blaming the C V19 virus (10/21), since this is definitely a known issue, but maybe it is due to late nights and interrupted sleep that is causing my elevated morning BGs. Maybe I'll find out soon with a 2nd AF. Why two? Because if Leo eats, I have to give Andy something, too. It will eliminate the need to wake up and pick up food bowls so early. Hopefully Andy won't make too much a mess with dropped food on 5he floor... that could potentially ruin Leo's AMPS.

Well, I haven't said anything to help you! The awesome Moderators likely have helpful tips. :bighug:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  7. Sarah & Charlie-cat

The diabetes is on top of the steroids.

We've talked about rehoming the newest addition, who incidentally has been bitten twice in the last six months, leading to what feels like weekly vet visits and constant antibiotics. But neither of us want to give him up, he is sweet and affectionate and we're both very attached because we caught him and nursed him back to health for a year.

I would give our psycho Kitty back to the friend who rescued her as a kitten but that might be cruel because she only likes me. And the other cats are just not going anywhere

La-La Leo likes this.
  8. Sarah & Charlie-cat

He was 132 PMPS. I have him his .1u. I just don't understand what is going on with Charlie right now. He was over 300 this morning.

He can't be getting into kibble.

Calling the vet in the morning.

9. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Is it possible he got into kibble? You want to dose 0.10U consistently and see how he is doing on it. Without enough tests, we don't know if he is going very low and bouncing from there or just needs more insulin. A before bed test at night would be really useful.

10. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Going to try that tonight. I thought there wasn't much point after the furshot last night.

I don't think he could have gotten into food he shouldn't. We've moved the kibbles to just one room, the door or which is always closed. I have been ditching the other wet food or making sure the door is closed so he couldn't have gotten into that either. He did have more food than normal last night, but it was FF pate and some Tiki cat.

The first high number after reducing his steroid I thought was a bounce but last night probably not.

His midday test yesterday was under 150. I got a +7 on him today that was 175. But back down to 135 at +12?

He is, thankfully, acting fine, eating fine. I haven't checked the water bowls yet but I will.

11. Sarah & Charlie-cat

And I got one jab in his ear but not enough blood and he wasn't having any of it if me trying again. I need to sleep so I can keep everything on an even keel tomorrow.

12. Sarah & Charlie-cat

He threw up last night but ate fine at 3:30 and 6:15. And breakfast. I think he didn't digest the lamb liver well.

275 this am and 253 at +6. So, that says dose increase? By how much