? checked BG before giving prozinc & its 82

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sexidance, Jan 14, 2023.

1. sexidance

sexidance New Member

i checked waffle’s BG on the AT2 before the feeding and it was 82 after 12 hours since last feeding/shot.

should i give the insulin? should i be concerned?

EDIT
    i think false alarm. low is below 60… i got a little worried haha

is it okay to do a glucose curve through the night?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Do you have a spreadsheet or chart of BG tests? What was the morning preshot number? That is a low-ish BG on the Alpha Trak meter. - not hypo low but lowish.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

But since I don’t know how your kitty responds to insulin or what dose you are giving or any history, I can’t really advise. Please just keep a close eye on him and keep testing in case you need to intervene with Karo syrup or high carb food or both. Don’t go to sleep until you are sure that he is stable or rising in his BG numbers.

4. sexidance

sexidance New Member

well, hes been on this insulin dose of 3 units (prozinc) since 12/23. i had my first vet appt this past wednesday and she suggested i buy a AT2 machine to test his glucose and to do a curve.

i got his machine this evening so i figured I'd do the curve overnight since i have to stay up all night with my niece bc she has no nurse. this is the first time ive tested it. his reading 3 hours since the injection as of now is 67... like i said, had i not even had the machine, i would not know how low he is going through the night. ill check in another 3 hours but so far hes okay. also, he kinda winced when i gave him the lancet in the ear, should i just poke it manually instead? i felt bad making him flinch with the little machine thing.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  5. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

Below 68 is your take action number on the alphatrack meter. If he's at 67 you need to give him a tsp or 2 of high carb food & test again in 20mins.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. Chrispooky12

@Suzanne & Darcy

7. Chrispooky12

8. Chrispooky12

I'm sorry no one helped you, I hope your kitty is okay & I'm pretty sure he has earned a reduction. Hopefully someone will be on & tell you for sure before his AMPS shot. Also being so new & not having a spreadsheet & alot of data you should not have shot when you got that 82. I can't tell you if you should have shot less or skipped because you don't have a signature setup either so I don't know if he's had DKA. I'm going to tag @Diane Tyler's Mom to give you the links to set it up.

9. sexidance

sexidance New Member

i’m sorry, i didn’t mean to alarm anyone. i know for sure he is gonna be okay bc he’s been on the same dose for almost 3 weeks now. i changed vets so i did a glucose curve (tonight). i don’t think anything was immediate but it was my first time taking his glucose and i guess i expected his numbers to be super high.

either way, he did come up and was 90 about 40 min ago. i’m sure his vet will want us to change the dose. plus i’m moving him into wet food this next couple weeks (vet wanted me to do curve first).

all is well, it just freaked me out! lol ty for being here, i appreciate it.

Suzanne & Darcy and Chrispooky12 like this.
  10. Chrispooky12

Please ask for help on here for his next dose. If he is dropping that low, his dose needs to be reduced to at least 2.75 maybe more. We have 2 dosing methods SLGS & TR. New people normally go by SLGS & anything under 90 is an automatic reduction & I believe if he's under 200 you stall don't feed & test again to see if he's coming up & ask for help. @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Wendy&Neko @Chris & China (GA)

11. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I always did it “free hand”. The lancing device makes some cats jump. I feel like I had a lot more control without it. Also, try to go in at a 45 degree angle to help avoid going all the way through the ear.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

What numbers did you get overnight? Can you go back to the preshot number of 82 and list here the times… Well not the times but how many hours after the shot was given for each test such as plus one, +2, +3, etc.. I definitely would not be giving him three units based on the numbers that you have indicated in some of your previous messages. He has earned a reduction in dose.
    Meanwhile, you need to read through the two dosing methods and their requirements: either TR or SLGS. We can also help you with getting a spreadsheet set up so that you and we can see exactly what is happening on a given dose.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  13. Suzanne & Darcy

What is his current diet? If he is eating high carb food or dry food of any kind, you will need to be extremely careful and monitoring him as you make the switch to low carb food. Switching to low-carb food will have a sometimes dramatic impact on lowering BG numbers. If he is on any kind of dry food at all, you will need to follow the SLGS protocol for dosing. After he has made a complete switch to low carb wet food, you will be able to follow the TR dosing method if you wish to and if you can do the right number of tests each cycle. So, I would make the switch to low carb wet either very gradually, and still do a lot of testing or I would reduce his dose and make the switch to the low carb wet food gradually. You probably should do both and either way he has earned a reduction based on last nights numbers. Remember, you can always go back up in dose if it is required, but we want to avoid a true hypo at all costs. It is always recommended to switch cats food very gradually anyway because a dramatic change of their food can really cause some nasty diarrhea.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  14. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Christina Chris was given the links to set up the signature and spreadsheet on the previous post.
    @sexidance go back to your previous post tap on this
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-to-the-forum-new-pet-owner-overall.272682/#post-3032680

Look at post #3 the post numbers are to the right if each post
    Bron gave you the link to set up your signature and spreadsheet
    It's in blue Help Us Help You
    @sexidance

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Chrispooky12 and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  16. Suzanne & Darcy

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  17. sexidance

sexidance New Member

82 @8pm, 67 @ 11pm, 77 @ 2am, 90 @ 5am, & 93 @ 8am before 8am insulin. i gave him a little over 2 units this morning. like 2.5. he’s doing okay. i have my spreadsheet setup, i just need to link it but this is the first time i’m checking his BG.

he is on purina DM dry. i’ll see what the vet says before i change to wet, im sure she’s gonna change the dose tomorrow once i give her the information.

thx again

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

Can you please set up your signature in case you ever need help so members don't have to bother you with the same questions
    Hi if you are having trouble setting up your this might make it easier for you
    signature
    click on your name up top above where it says sesrch and then tap on the word signature and add this information
    • Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom.

We also use a spreadsheet to track our cats BG so we know how the insulin is working and how low they are dropping so we know when to either increase or decrease the dose
    We adjust the dose by 0.25 units at a time . We don't adjust the dose by going by the Pre Shots

About the spreadsheet
    AMPS - means AM Pre Shot the first test you take in the AM ,you need to withhold food 2 hours before testing so it's not food influenced

Units is where you would put how much insulin you gave
    +1 is one hour after giving insulin if you were to test then that's where you enter his _BG number
    +2 two hours after giving insulin. ditto
    +3 and so on until you get to PMPS - PM pre shot withhold food 2 hours before testing

+1 same as you do for AM cycle

We don't give times because we are all in different time zones that's why we use the + numbers
    I'll give you the link to set it up , if you have trouble just ask and we have a member who will gladly do it for you

You can look at any members spreadsheet to see what it looks like, it's at the end of everyone's signature just tap on it

Here is the link if you want to give it a try
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

You should also read the 2 dosing methods and choose one to follow, they will tell you when an increase or decrease is needed
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Chrispooky12 likes this.
  19. sexidance

sexidance New Member

I have updated my signature. I would also like to say that I am choosing to follow what my vet wants to do concerning Waffle. I will intervene when I need to, but I want to develop a good relationship with my vet, so I will not mess with his dosing unless i absolutely have to do so. Please thanks for everyone for understanding and for still giving me advice. I appreciate it so much. (and like i said above, i plan on changing him to wet food once i talk to the vet first about the glucose curve I just completed).

20. Suzanne & Darcy

Wow. Well done on the testing! I am very proud of you, and Waffle must be a very sweet cat. That is actually a very beautiful cycle. However, since you would be following SLGS due to the dry food, we want him to stay above 90 for now. If you were following TR and had those numbers I would say it was a perfect cycle - well except for the 67 which is just barely below where you want him to be on a pet meter.