Cierra” Story please help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Din, Jan 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Din

Din Member

Hi Everyone, apologies this will be long story. But please read and help us.
    Cierra is 9 years old beautiful girl I grow her considering as she is my daughter. Now I’m 38 weeks pregnant and everyday I tell her I love her more than anything.

she loves kibbles ( royal canon/ science hill and fancy feast wet food)and I made that life mistake by giving her food as much as she wants.

She had her annual blood check on March 2021 /2022 and everything was perfect but Doctor said she got Arthritis. I felt end of the world and i cried and ask doctor to save my girl ( now I realise there is more illness than arthritis) Doctor gave her medication . We started to give light weight Royal canin Kibbles + Fancy feast wet food .

After that she had a urine infection on 4th of October. And she keep peeing outside her liter tray. We took her to the vet . He did scan and gave her antibiotics for 14 days . By the time she was fine but we realise she is drinking more water. We put her litter tray inside the room to separate it from her brother. STUPID me was happy when She drink more water. She peed more . I did not realise it before because I have two cats.

27th of October I gave her Royal canine Maine coon kibbles in the morning they finished all. 28 of October I gave them same but was not finished. 29 th Saturday when I come home after work I saw someone vomited on 4 to 5 times. Studies/pregnancy/working / no friends or family me and my husband are extremely tired with life. Our only happiness is seeing this beautiful two faces when we come home. That day she was exhausted and tried I realised she has vomited. I never thought it was that bad.

She didn’t eat that night and Sunday so we made an appointment with a most earliest vet appointment Monday (30) evening. She was liking my face. So I put her food on face like a mask and feed her tiny bit of food. Monday was most horrible day for all of us. We went to vet and she was young as I could see. She said Cierra is extremely unwell and did the blood test.
    BG was 32/ and pancreatic was 5500 something/ liver / kidney all numbers was bad. Vet said we have to sleep her . I could not believe or feel anything I was just holding the chair not to fell off. My husband was carrying Cierra on his hand. Finally we asked we can’t sleep her we want to try our best how much will cost it. She said hospital charges will 4000 dollars + but survival rate is very low. Doctor did not let us to admit her on hospital told go home and think about it.

we came home and call another available doctors over the phone. We couldn’t take Cierra to that Doctor because she was working 2and half hours away from my home. We send blood results to her and she said this is pancreatic and can treat but will be highly cost with the current condition. That words help us a lot . She said give her Hydrolight over the night and take her to another vet place. We took her to another vet place and hospitalised. Doctor did a blood test and ask can save her but will cost and need time. What else we need than saving our baby girl. They started fluid and some medication. 5 day she was at hospital but didn’t eat. We tried force feeding but wasn’t successful.

we couldn’t sleep or eat. We grew up her like a new born baby. She has not seen a dog or cat except her brother. When we vaccum let her listen loud music. She is just shy girl has no idea about anything anyone. If she can explain she is going to tell me mom I’m in hell save me.

3rd day at hospital they did blood test and it was positive and 90 percent better results. 5 th day she was discharged. We bring her home and did force feeding and antibiotics + some other tablets. We try every thing from pet store suggested. After few days she slowly started to eat and vet did a blood test everything was normal except BG. Doctor said let’s use freestyle Libre 2 on her body and start insulin. But they had no experience with that. First time it was not working and Doctors had to fly to another state. Doctor came back 23 of November and we set freestyle Libre and luckily it worked. Same day Cierra had her first insulin shot.

Cierra weight 5.4
    23 - Nov to 25 Nov 2 units
    From 25 Nov 15 Dec 4 Units
    15 Dec to 31 Dec 6 Units

Glargine one shot per day .
    I did my own research and realised one shot is not enough for cats . I keep asking from Doctor to change it to two shots but didn’t get approval as Glargine long acting insulin. Doctor said give her 8 units.

I don’t know I might be wrong but I started 4 units in the morning 7 am and 3 units in the night 7m. From 1st of Jan to 23 rd of Jan.
    from 24rth to now 4 units at 7 am and 4 units at 7 pm.

But still it’s too high ( I will attach spreadsheet soon)

she is extremely hungry like hasn’t eaten from few days.
    We are giving her Royal canine diabetes vet prescription wet food and Royal canine diabetes vet prescription dry food as a treat s. It consider as best diabetics food in Australia.

we do our best still her glucose is high. I’m 38 weeks pregnant these three has no difference. We love our purr babies more than anything rales. really worrie about her health. I want her to have best healthy long life …. Please please I’m begging you all help me with your suggestions…….. please

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

I can only speak for the diabetes and 8 units is way too high a dose and doubling up the dose after only 2 days is also way too fast. I would seriously advise to consider going down to 1 unit 2 times a day every 12 hours. Glargine needs consistency and it’s a depot insulin, which means it needs a few days to build up in her system. You need to give her the same dose 2 times a day, every 12 hours. This is key and very important. It needs to be the same dose and every 12 hours, for example at 7am and 7pm, not 7am and then 8pm. The insulin lasts for 12 hours so that’s the reason it needs to be given at the exact 12 hour mark. If she has the libre on now and you can monitor her BG, I’d also strongly advise you to transition her away from any dry food. Diabetic cats need low carb food like the fancy feast you were feeding her. No need for expensive prescription foods. There’s nothing special about them other than the high price. How often are you feeding her? You want her to have the largest meals around shot time then a few smaller meals or treats throughout the day. The reason she’s hungry all the time is that diabetic cats can’t process the nutrients in food efficiently so they eat but are still hungry and will continue to lose weight. They also burn calories just by peeing since there’s sugar in their urine. Please feed her more right now and as much as she wants really so she doesn’t continue to lose weight.

Unfortunately most vets do not know a lot about feline diabetes….they have many animals to look after and they all have different diseases and treatments. Vets also get their information about nutrition from the big cat food manufacturers so they are biased in what they recommend. A dry high carb diet is not good for any cat, especially a diabetic cat. That’s like feeding your diabetic child a diet of biscuits, ice cream and sweets.

With a diabetic cat you need

• A low carb wet diet that is 10% carbs or under. Most of us use around 4-7% carbs
    • A suitable insulin such as Lantus, which is what glargine is, or Prozinc which are long acting, more gentle insulins than the old insulins.
    • We recommend hometesting the blood glucose with a human meter…it is not necessary to use a pet meter which is expensive to run and is no better. It will keep your kitty safe and you will know how the dose is working for your kitty. Only testing every so often will not tell you what is happening in between those times and an awful lot can happen in even a day.
    • HELP US HELP YOU has information about the spreadsheet, signature and hypo box which you will need to be able to look after your beloved kitty properly
    A word of warning though…don’t change the food you are feeding at the moment over to the low carb food if she doesn’t have the libre on anymore or until you are testing the blood glucose because a change over can drop the BGs by up to 100 points and we don’t want you to have a hypo on your hands.

We are happy to help you with setting up the spreadsheet, sorting out what food to buy, how to transition safely to a low carb diet, how to learn to home test and much more.

FOOD CHART have a look on this chart and choose foods that are under 10%.

You will also need some higher carb foods for that hypo box..information in the help us help you link.

This is an excellent site for diabetic cats…it has been around for more than 25 years and has very experienced people to help you.

Keep asking lots of questions.

PS - if you’re having issues creating the spreadsheet with the libre numbers, we have members that can help you with it :cat:

Din likes this.
  3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Din and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!

Din -- this sounds like an ordeal. Just as background, when my cat was diagnosed with diabetes, she was also quite sick. She had pancreatitis and, diabetic ketoacidosis, and hepatic lipidosis ("fatty liver"). She was also hospitalized and the vets were honest about just how sick she was. They never suggested that I give up but they did say that she might not survive. She did. You doing a lot of the right things for Cierra.

First, where are you located? I'm guessing that you're not in the United States. We don't want to recommend products that you can't get so it helps to know what country you're in. The food chart that Ale attached is for foods that are widely available in the US.

As far as food, all of the prescription diabetic dry food is high in carbohydrates despite it being called "diabetic". Most dry foods are quite high in carbohydrates. It's like feeding Ciarra cookies and cake! You will need to investigate a low carb, preferably canned food diet for your cat. It is quite likely that the reason Ciarra's numbers are so high is because the food you're using in high in carbs. You will need to slowly transition her to a lower carb food.

I have no clue what your vet is thinking about dosing. The research on Lantus suggests that you can use a weight based formula for the starting dose. Initial dose = ideal weight in kilograms x 0.25. This usually calculates out to around 1.0u unless Cierra is very large or very small. Given that you do not have Cierra on a low carb diet, you can start at 1.0u. If you have blood glucose test data from the last few weeks that would be very helpful. It's very important to home test your cat's blood glucose. It's critically important given how your vet has been increasing your cat's dose of insulin.

Please let us know how we can help!

Din and Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) like this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Din, welcome to the forum. I’m sorry you have had such a difficult time with Cierra.
    I see you live in Australia. I also live in Australia so can help you with many things that are available here
    Which State do you live in.?
    Was Cierra diagnosed with DKA?

You are correct….8 units is a crazy amount of insulin to start with. I’m glad you split the dose and are giving it twice a day. Glargine (Lantus) is a very good insulin for cats. More on the amount of the dose later. ..
    Do you have the Libre still attached? I will be interested to see any data you might have. I will ask @Bandit's Mom if she will help you set up a spreadsheet so we can see the BG (blood glucose) data.
    I suspect you are still giving too much insulin but need to see the data. Maybe feeding the high carb food you are feeding is helping stop her dropping too low.
    Are you checking what the BG is (the pre shot BG) before you give the dose of insulin?

The food you are feeding is too high in carbohydrates. There are many more suitable foods here in Australia….vets always recommend the prescription foods they sell but they are always too high in carbs.
    But I don’t want you to change anything with the food, until we can see the BG data. This is because reducing the number of carbs in the food will drop the BG numbers and you will risk a hypo. It needs to be monitored closely when you do any swap over.
    It is really good she is hungry. I would let her eat as much as she wants at the moment, except for the 2 hours before you test before giving the insulin as we don’t want that BG to be food influenced.

I will give you a link to information for Aussie Caregivers.. .click on the blue link. You will find many links within this link, including a suitable food link.
    With the food you can find many suitable canned food in supermarkets and pet stores. Weruva is no longer available in Australia unfortunately. Look for canned foods that are 10% carbs or lower. All dry food in Australia is high carb....including all the dry food the vets sell. But remember dont do any swap to low carb food yet
    INFORMATION FOR AUSSIE CAREGIVERS

K
    eep asking lots of questions…we are here 24/7 and we are happy to answer any questions and help you get sorted out.
    Bron (from Sydney)

Din likes this.
  6. Din

Din Member

Hi Everyone thank you soooo so much for your all replies. Please give me 2-3 hours I’ll reply to your comments.

7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

She lives in Australia that’s why I tagged Bron :cat:

Din likes this.
  8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Note she’s not giving the same amount of insulin x2 a day

Din likes this.
  9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes I am aware of that thanks. :)
    I’m going to ask @Bandit's Mom if she can help set up a SS quickly so we can see what is going on.
    I’m waiting to hear back from Din

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Great. I’m off to bed and I know she’s in the most excellent Aussie hands :bighug:

Din and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  11. Din

Din Member

Dear Ale & Minnie...

First of all kindly appreciate your reply and spending your valuable time for me and Cierra,,,,

We are living currently live in Australia / NSW state / regional area. We used to live in Sydney and had 24 hours emergency service but Now struggling to take the vet appointment as well.

We are only giving her 4 units at 7 am and 4 units at 7 pm. so total 8 units per day. and also we make sure not to be late more than 5 minutes.

She is having her breakfast at 5.30 am- 6am (One packet- 85 g Carb 3.2) and we are giving her shot 7 am 4 units with her few diabetics’ kibbles but after read your comment early this morning I stop giving her kibble as treat and gave her small amount of wet food as treats.

Then around 8am to 10am she is crying for food again, so I'm giving her small amount of wet food. throughout the day she is having one packet of food (85g ). 5.30 pm to 6pm she is having her full meal dinner ( 1 packet) 7 pm 4-unit shot and though out the night I'm giving her another packet.

Per day she is having 4 packets of Royal Canine diabetics vet prescription wet food. But after read comments today we went to pet shop and got Fancy feast Turkey and it mentioning 2% min fat. But not sure about the max carb.

As you mentioned above, I try to find food carb total between 4-7% but I could not find any (maybe I did not see ) from pet shop.

I go through the FOOD CHART you included above but I am confused reading it. according to it it does have high carb on everything so far except Fancy feast. I want to find 0 carb fancy feast food as mentioned on the chart then I can mix it with 2 % carb food.

Until this morning she had 3.2*4 =12.8 carb and kibbles treats carb.

From now on she will have 2*4 = 8% carb ( I must find fancy feast feeding chart according to the weight. My girl is 5.4 Kg and 8% could be change according to her weight.

we have not change her units within2 days except the first shot. That one I had to do because nurse did it by herself. After that we kept looking at least two weeks to change the shot.

I hope did not miss any points and Thank you again and again for giving me all above advice and information. After read all of the comments I felt I can have more hopes now on......

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Din….I am concerned you are changing the food to low carb food….are you home testing the blood glucose? If not I would not change the food yet because when you swap over to a low carb diet…you are going to need less insulin and if you do it without being able to test the blood glucose…you are running the risk of having really low numbers and not being aware of it until she is really low and showing symptoms. Does that make sense?

Also with feeding and then giving the insulin you don’t have to wait any time …it’s not like the old insulin where you had to wait.
    So you can feed and then give the dose straight away. Once you are home testing you test/feed and shoot …one after the other.
    Also it is absolutely fine for her to eat during the cycles as well as before the dose of insulin. If she is crying out for food, she might be dropping low. Hunger is one of the symptoms of low numbers.

I want to stress again that 4 units twice a day is a lot of insulin to be giving a cat. How often is the blood glucose being checked?

Din likes this.
  13. Din

Din Member

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

First of all kindly appreciate your reply and spending your valuable time for me and Cierra,,,,

I’m not saying I was happy to see another kitty with same condition as Cierra, but after heard you had similar experience similar story and survival gave me 100 positive feeling about remission for Cierra.

We are living currently live in Australia / NSW state / regional area. You are right most of food on food chart I have don’t know. Only Royal Canine, Fancy feast and Science hill from food chart I can find here. ( Sorry I might be wrong)

Per day she is having 4 packets of Royal Canine diabetics vet prescription wet food. But after read all comments today we went to pet shop and got Fancy feast Turkey and it mentioning 2% min fat. But not sure about the max carb.

Until this morning she had 3.2 carb *4 =12.8 carb and kibbles treats carb.

From now on she will have 2*4 = 8% carb ( I must find fancy feast feeding chart according to the weight. My girl is 5.4 Kg and 8% could be change according to her weight.

Unfortunately, they don’t have much experience with any feline diabetic cats. We recently moved here, and it seems like less care for cats or pets. Otherwise as a Doctor she should not tell me to sleep her without any further treatments. Our current doctor is really good but still need more knowledge about insulin.

Could you please kindly correct me here.

Initial dose = ideal weight in kilograms x 0.25.

X = Ideal weight (according to nurse 4KG ) * 0.25

X=1

but Vet started from 2 Units Per 24 hours but it did not work. They did asked me to do below.

Cierra weight 5.4
    15 Dec to 31 Dec 6 Units

31 of Dec 2022 Nurse asked me to give 8 units. But after our own research we decided to give 4 units 7am and 3units 7pm. Still vet or nurse don’t know we are doing this. Her BG is very high in between 3 am to 12 pm. It goes above 27mmol/l (480 mg/dl )

From 24th of January we gave her 4 units 7am and 4 units 7 pm .

It reduce slowly 24-25mmol (450.45mg/dl

Then Last few days highest was 21mmol (378.38mg/dl

After reply to all of you I will complete the spread sheet and upload here.

Thank you so much again and again for your time and the valuable information you have given to me….!!!!!!

14. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba

Yes We are living currently live in Australia / NSW state / regional area. I’am glad that you are living inAustralia and you can help me …..!!!!!!!!!

Sorry What is the DKA?

I will upload most recent blood test result tonight. Did not start with 8 units but 31 night nurse asked me to give her 8 units so We split it. ( nurse or vet don’t know that we split the dose)

We started as below with vet advise.
    15 Dec to 31 Dec 6 Units

31 of Dec 2022 Nurse asked me to give 8 units. But after our own research we decided to give 4 units 7am and 3units 7pm. Still vet or nurse don’t know we are doing this. Her BG is very high in between 3 am to 12 pm. It goes above 27mmol/l (480 mg/dl )

From 24th of January we gave her 4 units 7am and 4 units 7 pm .

It reduce slowly 24-25mmol (450.45mg/dl

Then Last few days highest was 21mmol (378.38mg/dl

Yes, we keep attached the libre on her. After reply to all of you I will complete the spread sheet and upload here.

Per day she is having 4 packets of Royal Canine diabetics vet prescription wet food. But after read all comments this morning we went to pet shop and got Fancy feast Turkey and it mentioning 2% min fat. But not sure about the max carb.

Until this morning she had 3.2 carb *4 =12.8 carb and kibbles treats carb.

Today she had 2min% *2 can = 4% (min)carb day time..

If you are thinking I should not change the food I will keep feed the same Royal Canine tonight. And I will go through the link to find the better option.

After reply to all of you I will complete the spread sheet for BG level and upload here.

Thank you sooooo much again and again for your time and the valuable information you have given to me….!!!!!!

15. Din

Din Member

Thank you Soooo much :cat:

16. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

I decided to change food and bought food from Pet store this afternoon but after read your comment above change my mind not to change the food untill I fill the spreadsheet. I will complete and upload spread sheet tonight. I usually check every hour BG level if I'm at home. mostly every hour or two hours we do check at night.

Thank You Bron

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It is very obvious that your vet does not know very much about cat diabetes at all. Or the nurse.
    They started Cierra on too high a dose...they should have started her on 1 unit of Lantus at the most. And they should have stayed with the same dose for a week for the depot to fill.
    Then they doubled the dose... and then went up to 6 units.:eek:
    What they should have done is gone up in dose by 0.25 units at a time. That is a 1/4 unit at a time.
    I will look forward to see the data in the spreadsheet.
    Who is going to be looking after Cierra when you go into hospital to have the baby?

Din likes this.
  18. Din

Din Member

Sorry for late reply Bron, I was trying to fill the SS. it is hard for me to fill the data because 2022 We gave her only one shot per day. But I'am trying my best . to be honest I had zero knowladge about diabetics and my stress level was so high. We blindly followed Doctor and Nurse advice on that to save Cierra.
    Luckiely My husband love our kitties same as I do. so he is going to look after them.

19. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Din, I think what we’re all saying is that her dose is too too high and it has been increased too fast. Once we see the spreadsheet, we should be able to help more but you may have to reduce her dose considerably to keep her safe as you’re transitioning to low carb food. As Bron explained, we recommend dose adjustments by 1/4 unit so you can see that it’s not nearly as much as you’ve been advised to do.

You don’t need 0%, anything under 10% is fine and considered low carb. remember that she needs to eat more as her diabetes is still unregulated so if she’s hungry, please feed her. @Bron and Sheba (GA) can you explain what DKA is, you know it better than me :cat:

Do you need help with the spreadsheet? I can tag @Bandit's Mom who can help you with it

we recommend you test before each shot in the morning and evening. These are the preshot tests and for these you need to withhold the food for at least 2 hours so the result is not influenced by food. Then at least 2 more tests during each cycle or 12 hours and for these you don’t need to withhold food. Do you think you can manage that? Can you also tell us what meter you’re using?

Din and Bandit's Mom like this.
  20. Din

Din Member

Hi @Ale & Minnie (GA)

I just finished the spreadsheet can you see it from your side ? I'am not sure id I did it correctly. Please tell me if I have to change anything. 2022 was complecated as We only gave her one shot per day.

Is that 10% carb is for 24 hours ?

I googled DKA, touch wood she does not have it. I have that urine strip and keep checking every other day. But we are going to do another urine test this week.

We are using Freestyle libre 2 .

Thank you Ale.please check my spread sheet when you have a time......

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  21. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

I just looked at your spreadsheet. I'm no expert but when you got that 58 & 54 on 12-31, you should have reduced to 2.75 for both AMPS & PMPS. I'm assuming since your fairly new your following SLGS(Start low go slow) dosing method? Anything under 90 is an automatic reduction. @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Suzanne & Darcy @tiffmaxee @Ale & Minnie (GA)

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

With respect to your spreadsheet, I think you mean the times are 12:00 AM and 12:00 PM. You also have 12:00 AM across the entire top of the spreadsheet. The +numbers across the top of the spreadsheet are how many hours past your shot time the blood glucose reading is. So today, your AM +4 was 297. This is the link to our post on how to interpret the spreadsheet.

The AMPS and PMPS columns are meant to be the blood glucose (BG) test results that you get before you give an injection. The abbreviation is for AM Pre-Shot (AMPS) and PM Pre-Shot (PMPS). You always want to test before you give insulin. It's the only way to be sure that Cierra is in safe numbers to give insulin.

Carbs aren't added. If a can of cat food is 2% carb, even if your cat eats 5 cans of the food, it's still 2% carb. If the food was 0% carbs, no matter how much Cierra eats, it would still be 0% carbs. I think you may be thinking about carbs much like you'd think about calories. Calories are additive.

23. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

@Chrispooky12 is right. Anytime you get a number under 90, you reduce the dose by 1/4 unit so Cierra shouldn’t be at 4 units, she should be at 2.75. I think the only thing keeping her safe and in high numbers with such a high dose at the moment is the dry food. @Sienne and Gabby (GA) and @Bron and Sheba (GA) i think she should lower the dose to at least 2.75 especially now that she’s adding low carb food to the diet. What do you both think?

Din and Chrispooky12 like this.
  24. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I would not base today's dose on test data from a month ago. I do think careful monitoring given a transition to low carb food is warranted, though.

25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Din, thanks for filling out the SS. I’m going to ask @Bandit's Mom to contact you about the SS.
    When I look at the world SS you have the times that I think you mean you give the dose as 7am and 7 pm but in the US Ss they are 12 and 12.
    Also you have the time of the shots in the AMPS and PMPS columns. In those columns you need to write the pre shot BG that you take before you give the dose of insulin. Does that make sense.

Din likes this.
  26. Din

Din Member

Hi Bron

Yes I understood it now. I have checked everyday before the shot ( Whenever freestyle attached ) and I willc change and update it ASAP.

Thank You so Much

27. Din

Din Member

Hi Chrispooky,

Thank you so much for that info, even tho I called to nurse that day before the shot, she did not advice me about it. Defenitly I will lower her shot next time.

Thank you again

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  28. Din

Din Member

Thank you @Ale & Minnie (GA)

I did not know about that, definitly I will lower the dose next time.
    Yes I want to reduce her dose.

Please help me.

and also because of I'm using glargine pen , it does not have option for choose .75.
    It should be something 1/2/3
    Do have an idea what should I do ?

Thank You

29. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Din, Are you able to get insulin syringes?
    The syringes you will need are the U100 3/10ml 3or 31 gauge 6 or 8 mm insulin syringes with 1/2 unit markings.
    Then you can draw the insulin out of the cartrdge and into the syringe and give doses other than full unit doses

30. Bron and Sheba (GA)

31. Din

Din Member

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Hi Sienne I removed that colume, Actually I add that data to make easier when I fill the data from my excel sheet to this one. hope now it has been clear . And AMPS and PMPS also I undersoood now. I will update that data ASAP.

regarding carbs still I'am confuse .

It should be under 10%
    is that mean if one can mentioned 2% carb I can give her 5 cans per 24 hours( Per day.)

so 2 times 5 = 10

is that correct.

please help me to 0 % carb food because Cierra is always hungry and every day I have to give her more than 10% carb / or more than 5 cans.

Thank You Sienne

32. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Din, make sure you read all the sticky notes in the Lantus forum as glargine is the generic Lantus :cat:

Din likes this.
  33. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

No 5 cans of 2% are still only 2% and not 10%.
    If the can says 2%, no matter the amount, 1 can or 5 cans you’re always giving her 2% carbs. Unlike calories, it doesn’t add up. It’s a percentage of the amount of food and it always stays at whatever the percentage of each can is so no need to look for 0% foods. You can feed her anything that’s lower than 10% so any fancy feast classic flavor for example. Also freeze dried treats are great and low in carbs. You can feed regular chicken breast as well or even tuna as snacks

Din likes this.
  34. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It’s what Bron said. You use the syringe to draw from the pen

Din likes this.
  35. Din

Din Member

Oh really it’s really good to know. Thank you so much. My vet said totally different way. That makes me feel better I can feed her when ever she’s hungry. Thank you again Ale

36. Din

Din Member

Sure I will do it tonight Ale.

37. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA)
    Thank you Bron and Ale,

I just finished updating my SS. Hopefully I'm on track now, Food issue is sortout Thank You so much everyone helping me to go throgh this. I really appriciate and no words to explain.

DO you have any reccomend dose for Cierra?

38. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Can you set up the signature please Din so we can see all the information about Cierra?

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) and Din like this.
  39. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

I will do it now Bron.

40. Din

Din Member

It seems like I have already set up Signature.

Do you meen about the SS link?

41. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have a look at my signature which is below all my posts in smaller paler writing. It tells you all about the cat so we don’t have to keep looking back for information.
    HELP US HELP YOU has the link to how to set up your signature

Din likes this.
  42. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

I found it in your profile. I will update information after read your one.

Thank You Bron

43. Bron and Sheba (GA)

My signature doesn’t have everything in it any more. There is a list of things you need to put in, in that link I sent you.

Din likes this.
  44. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Hi Din, this is the signature info Bron is referring to:

Make sure your signature is up-to-date.
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    • Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date - date of diagnosis
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo" lc so low carb
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Din likes this.
  45. Din

Din Member

@Ale & Minnie (GA)
    I try to do this since Monday - but do not let me save it. Keep saying character s too long . I reduced word limits from 700 to 37 words but still it’s saying too long and one line is too long

46. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

sorry Bron I tried to do it but doesn’t let me to save .

47. Din

Din Member

48. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

You can hyperlink the spreadsheet to a word so it’s not as long like mine below

Din likes this.
  49. Din

Din Member

50. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’ll ask @Bandit's Mom to have a look at the signature for you.

51. Din

Din Member

Finally I saved it Bron Thank you.

52. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Looking at Cierra's spreadsheet (SS), she needs more insulin. If you're planning on following SLGS, you would increase the dose by 0.25u.

Is there a reason you're opting to follow SLGS vs Tight Regulation (TR)? You're testing enough to consider TR and with TR, if the nadirs are generally over 300, you can increase by 0.5u. TR is more aggressive but Cierra has been sitting in high numbers for a while and a more aggressive approach at least in the short term may be helpful. It's at least something for you to consider.

53. Din

Din Member

Hi Sienna, apologies if I’m wrong I thought SLGS mean giving two shot per day . Is it meaning something else ?

54. Din

Din Member

Found it . START LOW GO SLOW.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  55. Melinda and Kitkat

Melinda and Kitkat Member

Hi Din, if you are still confused about carbs, then think of it this way: an example:

You go to doctor about the food you eat, you tell him all the things you eat in one day.
    -you eat lots of meat each day (50% of your food is meat) ~1/2 protein and fat
    -you eat lots of potatoes each day (25% of your food is Starch) similar to ~1/4 Carbs
    -you do not eat many fruits and vegetables ( 25% of your food is fibre, moisture, nutrients, vitamins)
    Doctor says "No, no, this is not good!! ... TOOOO many potatoes!! (Too many Carbs) Eat more fruits and vegetables every day!!!! Eat less potatoes please!

Your new healthy diet from Doctor is 25% meat, 5% potatoes (Carbs), and 70% fruit and veg. And this always adds to 100% (everything you eat)
    Same idea with different cat foods (it is just all in one can).... 2 or 20 or 50 cans of 4% Carb food is still 4% carbs

Another example may help:
    Ciera eats 1 can of 4% carb in morning
    Ciera eats 1 can of 6% carb in the evening
    She eats half of each type (4% and 6%)
    Math: We take an average of these two, so she is getting 5% carbs in her total daily diet

56. Din

Din Member

Found it . START LAW GO SLOW.

Hi Melinda thank you so so much for taking time to explain this. I really really appreciate. I understood it very clearly …..!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    Melinda and Kitkat likes this.
  57. Melinda and Kitkat

Very good stuff!!!!! I am so happy I could help you, you are doing very well :bighug:

Din likes this.
  58. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA) @Ale & Minnie (GA)

Her sensor not reading and last one is 13 something. I didn’t give her shot yet . Do I need to give atleast 0.5 units or shouldn’t I give her insulin at all?

****Just read it as 17

59. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you are saying the PMPS is 17 i would give the usual dose of insulin
    Is the libre working again

60. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

yes it’s working but sensor stopping sometimes as it’s last 24 hours. I bought another but later appointment is Saturday to attach it. I’m thinking to do it by our self next time as currently we are having financial issues.

61. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Why don’t you think about getting a hand held meter ?

62. Din

Din Member

I have to buy one to use situation like this. ( number are low and sensor not working) but I’m afraid to use it . It might be really hurt ? Isn’t it ?

63. Bron and Sheba (GA)

No, you will find cats don’t really mind having their ears tested.
    A good meter is the ReliOn premier which is $9 and 100 test strips is $17.88
    You will also need a box of lancets…make sure you get size 26 or 28 gauge lancets.
    And some cotton rounds to help behind the ear.
    Have a look at the link below
    HOMETESTING HINTS AND LINKS

Din likes this.
  64. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thank you Bron , I have to try then, I’m thinking to give low carb fancy feast from Saturday. My plan is give 12 % carb first few days then reduce 4-6 % carb gradually . I calculate carb on Royal canine DIABETES cat wet food nutrition chart , according to that it does have 15 % carbs and also contain sugar 1.3%.

I’m checking her BG on every hour day and night unless i falling deep sleep.

do you think I should do change her diet?

65. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would change to fancy feast. But do it slowly. It is cheaper than the prescription food.
    I gave you the wrong information about the test meter. I was forgetting you live in Australia and I gave you Us information.
    You won’t be able to buy the meter I mentioned post 63 in Australia.
    The accuchek or the Abbott freestyle Optium are both good meters. You can get them online or from pharmacies in Australia

I don’t think you need to check the BG every hour during the night. You will get exhausted. I would drop it to every 2 or 3 hours if the BGs are yellow or pink and see how that goes.

66. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Do they sell those in Australia? That’s great!

67. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

Apologies for late reply Bron, 4 days to due and I was doing my final shopping and getting ready with hospital bag..

I changed her food gradually and today we started feeding Fancy feast chichen Chuncky which is only 6 Carb.
    I can see her numbers are getting drop. Hopefully not too low. :). I have ready with hypo box. honey/ Kibbles and 12 carb gravy fancy feast too.

68. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I hope all goes well with the birth!
    Who is looking after her while you are in hospital?
    Do you have another libre attached or are you testing yourself?

Din likes this.
  69. Din

Din Member

Thank you Bron,

Yes we attached another libre to her yesterday. Vet is really kind and save her last time when Cierra was sick, but unfortunatly they do not know much about diebetic cats. ones they said Cierra is experiment for them. I felt so sooooo bad. But here ( regional area) there is no other option for me. Their only advise give 8 units in the afternoon and only two meals per day.

After attached libre we started giving less carb (under 10%) today.
    Untill Thursday 15 Carbs
    Thursday night /Friday /Saturday - 12 Carbs
    Sunday morning - Fancy feast Chicken Chunky When calculate its come as 8 % carb. But on the list is says 4 carbs.

My husband is looking after Our pur babies all the time. but I gave insulin to Cierra. So now I have to show him tricks how to do it.:woot:
    He knows how to give it but time to time I had to change the way I give it. because Cierra act so smart and she knows that after her breakfirst and dinner I,m doing something to her :woot: therefore she try to hide.

We have to learn how to reduce the dose accorting to the BG level. I try to find it but could not.
    Please teach me that Bron...

70. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I don't think at the moment the insulin needs to be reduced. I think if it is still the same when you come out of hospital, you will need to increase the dose 0.25 units twice a day. That doesn't mean it won't eventually come back down again but at the moment she is needing more insulin.

Din likes this.
  71. Din

Din Member

Okay Bron Thank you , I will increase .25 units when I come back from hospital.

72. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Don't do it without checking in here first in case things change please.
    Please let us know how you get on with the birth! Exciting!

73. Din

Din Member

I will definitly ask before do any changes Bron. Thank You so much....!!!!

74. Melinda and Kitkat

Hi Din, you will find some general information in the "Stickys" and links but you will NOT find a "Simple Guide to Dosing".
    The experts here will always help decide a dosage change, and they must consider many, many things (not just BG) before they make a recommendation. They have years of experience with Feline Diabetes and every cat has a unique requirement. You are correct.... always ask before you change the dose :p:D:joyful:

75. Din

Din Member

@Melinda and Kitkat .
    Thank you Melinda, definitely I’ll ask before do any changes again. I wish I found this forum earlier….thank you again

Melinda and Kitkat likes this.
  76. Din

Din Member

Hi Everyone,

@Bron and Sheba (GA)
    @Ale & Minnie (GA)

after one month I’m back. Had a really hard time. I need your advice please.

Cierra is vomiting since this morning. Vomited 6 times. Last two weeks she doesn’t have senser attached to her body.

Since 17th of Feb Her AM and PM Was around 14 then my husband dropped her dose from 4 units to 3 units ( I was in hospital on that week I could not ask your advice) .

since 17th of Feb she is getting morning- 3 units and evening-3 units.

food Fancy feast chicken chunky 4cans.

She is gaining weight and after I come home I slowly reduce her food from 4 cans to 3and 1/2.

Now my biggest fear she is vomiting since this morning and 6 times. Firstly vomited food now water.
    Please advise should I run to Vet emergency?????

I make an appointment for tomorrow.
    Please help.

please forgive me if I’m late to reply. Having hard time with 20 days newborn baby.

77. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Congratulations on the new baby.
    I don’t suppose you have any cerenia or ondansetron tablets for nausea at home?
    You may need to take Cierra to the vet for an injection to stop the vomiting.
    Does she seem unwell apart from the vomitinga. Is she lethargic? Is she wanting to eat?
    Have you tested for ketones? You would need a bottle of Ketostix from a pharmacy and collect a urine sample from Cierra.

78. Din

Din Member

Thank you Bron,

I don’t have that tablet.she is not seems unwell or lethargic. But does not want to eat now. Change my vet appointment to this evening. Check keton day before day. I’ll collect urine from her. Thank you Bron

79. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Please let us know how you get on at the vet

80. Din

Din Member

Bron is that tablet just coming for Cats ? Can I buy it from chemist warehouse?

81. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Cerenia is only available from a vet. Ondansetron is a human medication and available at most pharmacies.

82. Din

Din Member

83. Bron and Sheba (GA)

See what the vet says about a blood test.
    He may want to do a test for pancreatitis which is a separate test to the normal blood tests….ask for a fPLspec OR a fPL snap

84. Din

Din Member

Thank you Bron I’ll ask it

85. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

If your vet can do an ultrasound, that would be good too. I’ve been going through the same thing with Bobo for almost 2 weeks now. He’s on both ondansetron and Cerenia, metroclopramide and also budesonide but that’s because the pancreatitis test was negative so the assumption is IBD.

86. Din

Din Member

I call my vet. He said let’s do a blood test? Is Blood test can find out it ?

is your purr baby gain weight?

cierra gain weight. I thought reason is kcal.
    she ate sometime 4 - 5 cans got 90* 5 Kcal.

87. Din

Din Member

Her pancreatitis number is 5000 +
    Dehydrated because of vomiting
    Glucose 25
    Kidney
    Vet said I have to hospitalise her.

88. Din

Din Member

I hospitalised her yesterday. On fluids/ antibiotics/ medication

vomited whole day. I told not to give insulin, but nurse gave her insulin last night and her Glucose got dropped 3.9.
    I don’t know what to say . Please keep my Cierra on your prayers ......

89. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Prayers for Cierra. She is being helped by the vet team.

Din likes this.
  90. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’m very glad to hear Cierra is getting treatment in hospital. It’s the best place for her at the moment.
    I think they did the right thing giving some insulin last night. Diabetic cats need insulin, especially when they are unwell as other things can go wrong if they don’t get the insulin they need.
    Please let us know how she is getting along:bighug:

91. Din

Din Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA) @Ale & Minnie (GA) @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Dyana
    I just visited her.
    vet asked me why I’m giving insulin morning and evening. And he said don’t give insulin morning and evening glargine is 24 hours one.

they decided to give one shot per day and because vet don’t want to give insulin two times per day. Nurse gave 6 units last night. I already gave 3 units yesterday morning and total units per yesterday was 9 …… that’s toooo much
    Morning and night staff has no proffer communication. Morning person has been ready to give 3 units insulin. But stoped because low blood sugar. I’m helpless…. ….don’t know what to say . I can see from nurses faces I’m just annoyed to them.

They taking blood from leg every hour to check blood sugar. Why not ear :arghh::arghh:

I gave them freestyle sensor. But they didn’t set it up. I’m dying inside.

Her pancreatitis going up 6000+ yesterday it was 5400+

vet said this happen because of I changed her food from diabetic to fancy feast.

pleeeeeeese help us please

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  92. Din

Din Member

Thank you everyone ....

93. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Oh my goodness!
    Lantus is given every 12 hours. Humans have it every 24 hours. Cats have a faster metabolism than humans so need it every 12 hours. To give 6 units at once is dangerous and plain stupid. And they are negligent if they were going to give 3 units again this morning after 6 units last night.
    That vet has no idea what he is talking about. I can promise you changing from their diabetic food to fancy feast did not, in any way, cause the current problem.
    Is there any other vet you can take her to. I’m sorry to say those vets are totally incompetent and negligent.
    I am so sorry this is happening to you and Cierra

94. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Also I have not seen the numbers 6000+ or 5400+ used for pancreatitis before. Can you please ask the vet for a copy of the blood results. You are paying for them so they are yours. Don’t take no for an answer. Remember Cierra can not talk for herself. You must do it for her.

95. Din

Din Member

I have a copy of her blood test.

it says LIPA 5638 U/L yesterday 4.49 Pm
    They did another blood test at 9 pm
    LIPA ( lipase ) is > 6000 U/L
    it should be in between 100 to 1400

96. Din

Din Member

I’m crying and crying but I’m helpless Bron. As I said on beginning of our story other vet place- vet said I have to sleep Cierra. But this vet recovered my girl. I’m in regional area NSW . We have 4 vet place. One is not Taking new patients. They are full. I can not trust any vet anymore…. They don’t love our babies. They just need money.

97. Din

Din Member

Yes the are neglected. Just because of my girl got low sugar they didn’t give insulin this morning otherwise they going to give 3 units in the morning,

Yesterday 9 units total…..
    they don’t even know how to use glargine pen. When I visited Cieera vet asked me to show how to use it. I don’t know what they doing to my poor girl

98. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Where abouts in NSW? I am in Sydney.
    Can you ask about what the 6000+ test is please. I have not heard of a result line that.
    Also don’t let the nurses make you feel bad. Cierra is your cat and you are entitled to ask as many questions as you want to.
    please tell them that cats have a faster metabolism than humans and need insulin every 12 hours. Can you show them your spreadsheet?

99. Din

Din Member

I did tell them Bron . I told the vet one of my friend is a vet and she said give insulin morning and night. Then vet said I should follow one vet advice. I was speechless. I’m in Dubbo. Can I upload a picture here ? I can not find that option. Then I can show you it .

100. Din

Din Member

It showing exactly same as below

LIPA > 6000 U/L

LIPA -LIPASE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.