Close call at 67 BG today. Advise please?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Megaboo, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

Kali's Numbers have been pretty high and vet recommended I up his shot from 1 to 2 units so I slowly upped it. and today I went to 2. his BG dropped to 67. I fed him with some honey and it went back up.
    should I cut it back down to 1.5? Im at work during the day so I wont be here if this happens again.

2. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I had that happen to my Zoe yesterday when I was doing a glucose curve. I had bumped her to 5 units from 4.75 and it dropped to 68 at the peak time which was 4 hours after her shot. I freaked too, but she was fine. Yesterday was the first full every 2 hour BG check and she may have been dipping that low before since I wasnt checking at the time the insulin peaks in her system. If you are not medically familiar, that is the time the medication reaches its peak effect before it tapers off. For Vetsulin which I am using it is about 4 -4.5 hours peak. I hadnt read that before getting the 68 reading so I really did freak not knowing if it was going to go lower and I gave her some Temptations dry treats and a little kayro syrup on the nose. Your spread sheet looks much like Zoe's yesterday when I got the 68. One of the regular more experienced cat moms here suggested I go back to the 4.75 and watch her a little longer checking at the 4 hour mark when I can. Today back at the 4.75 she went to 183 at about peak time. I can only do the curves on the weekend. If 1.5 was where Kali was before you saw the dip then maybe it would be a good idea to go back to it especially with the work week about to begin.

Megaboo likes this.
  3. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I have tried to stick with the increase for about a week before moving up to the next level. That might be a good plan for Kali too.