close to 200... decrease again?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MicheleS, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

sorry to be such a pest....

Soccer's amps is 201. Do I reduce again? He was at 1, then 0.6. I'll be in and out all day so I can check sporadically but not *regularly*.

Thanks!!
    Michele

PS. He's on ProZinc.

2. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

nevermind. I gave him 0.6. I looked at my schedule for today and I can manage BG checks at +2, +5, +7, +9 so I feel relatively safe. I just wish I knew where his nadir is. :?

Do you think with the testing today, I can figure it out??

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I've never had good luck with a sliding scale with Blackie. By sliding scale I mean that you adjust the dose on each preshot depending on the bg. I almost always stick to a dose for 6 shots. It takes that long for Blackie to adjust to a new dose and for me to tell if that dose is working. The exception would be if you had a really low preshot number.

Do you have a spreadsheet you can share with us? In your spot checks today try to get a +6 or +7. That is often the time of the nadir with PZI.

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Personally I would not decrease. Cutting the dose nearly in half was a courageous move. As you move along here you are going to want to test more. It's hard to say much from your SS. How long have you been on PZI? It seems maybe Soccer is not dropping that much on .6U. Do you know when Soccer's typical nadir is?

5. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

I'm not sure where the nadir is :? , we're new at this. I *think* it seems to be around +5?? What do you think??
    He's only been on ProZinc sine the 25th. Undiagnosed before that...

Thanks!

edited to add that he eats at insulin (approx 3 oz friskies) and ~+5 and +10 (approx 1 oz friskies). I think that the frequent noshing is making the nadir harder to find! :roll:

6. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

You're new? Welcome!!! :smile:

OK good.

Nadir should be expected to move during the first couple months. BUT you need to be testing to know where it is. The way I do it is to test every hour for 3-4 hours repeated multiple day/cycles at around +5-+8.

If you are just getting going a couple FULL curves are warranted [every hour for 12 hours]. A total pain in the e** yes - for you and Kitty. Then once you know where thing happen, you can test for those times [usually around +3 & +4] then +5 to +7 or 8 for nadir. You want to know how and when they drop on a dose of X and then how far they drop on a dose of X. As you are doing keep track.

Hopefully you are not aiming for the vein?

Sounds like you are using the U-100 syringes = good.

Hope other will chime in here. I always forget something.

Here's the link to our ProZinc SS. Maybe you can see how I try to hone in on certain times?
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... XYwVFJ4M0E
    [I hate testing]

7. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Welcome, Michele! :) Is Soccer black and white? Just guessing by the name. ;)

Gator gave you some good advice about testing and curves. Figuring out the nadir will really help you, and if you can follow that schedule that he laid out, I think you will be able to pinpoint it. While you are doing the "testing every hour for 3-4 hours from (approx.) +5 to +8, could you feed a snack at +3, and then maybe another one at +7 if Soccer is really hungry? This way all the food SHOULD be cleared out of his system by the time you get a +5 test, and hopefully his nadir is before +7 so that wouldn't matter either.

Please post all questions you have, and once again, welcome to PZI Land. :)

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome!!! Pretty darn good for only a few days into it!!!!

I agree that I wouldn't reduce the dose. Things are looking great, and there is room for improvement in the #s - ideally you want PS a little lower than this (but these are good for now!), and nadirs closer to 100 or in the upper double digits (DDs).

You may even need a slightly higher dose than where you are now, but since he is newly on insulin and you are still data gathering, it makes sense to me to stay where you are (barring #s creeping higher, or unexpected lows) for a few days, and then if the #s don't improve on this dose you may want to try 0.8u. But really, this is pretty awesome for starting out!!!

[ETA: that's all assuming he has been on a fully LC canned diet for a few days now - if the food is still in transition, or this is his first day on 100% LC, the #s may come down more on their own with the food change]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.