Concern About Insulin Dose Increase

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

@Kris & Teasel @JanetNJ We didn't give Victor the 3 units last night because I wanted to wait until this morning so we would be awake to keep an eye on him, and I just want to be sure that you guys think he'll be okay going to 3 units. He always seems more sleepy after we give him his shots, he lays down and sleeps for hours except to go to the litter box or get a drink of water, and I just don't want an increase in his insulin dose
    to make him worse or anything. Please let me know what you think.

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, I think he'll be OK at 3 u. Cats react in different ways to insulin and the lethargy after a dose is something others have seen. Does he seem to perk up as the dose is wearing off later in the cycle?

What is your feeding schedule for him right now? Are you sticking to the twice a day meals recommended by your vet?

3. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Yes, he does.

Right now we are still giving him the two meals a day. But we have started following the schedule of testing him at 9:30AM/PM, feeding him immediately after, and then giving his shot at 10:00AM/PM. It's just kind of overwhelming trying to adjust to a different way of doing things all at the same time.

4. Kris & Teasel

Yes, it is. It'll take a little time but you'll get there.

Re insulin effect: the lethargy might get better over time but that isn't guaranteed. Humulin N is an affordable insulin and Victor's diabetes needs to be treated. It's possible that when you're able to switch to Friskies low carb wet food his dose will need to come down enough that he'll feel less lethargic.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Let’s see if 3 is his breakthrough dose. With my cat I didn’t even see a number under 300 until I got to 3 units.

6. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Okay, we'll try the 3 units. Thanks, girls :bighug:

JanetNJ and Kris & Teasel like this.
  7. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

@Kris & Teasel @JanetNJ Just a quick question, we have to soften up Victor's dry food with water because he has trouble chewing it, and some of the water from the bowl dripped from the bowl onto him, so he was licking it off, and I was just wondering if this could impact his glucose number when we tested him, since the water is in there with his food?

8. JanetNJ

Not sure I am understanding the question. Are you asking if water raises bg? No. Water has no carbs. It’s water. Lol

9. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

I meant because the water has been mixed in the bowl with his food if it could have an effect on his bg. It's probably just a ridiculous question resulting from the fact that I think too much about some things.

10. JanetNJ

Water doesn’t change the carb content of food. Just makes it wet.

11. Kris & Teasel

I know what you mean but I wouldn’t worry about it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.