Condo for the homeless

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Joan and Madison, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joan and Madison

Joan and Madison Member

Hi fellow Lantus Landers! Happy Old Timer's Day. :D

For the newbies that don't know me, my sugar cat was Madison. I found this board and LL after Maddie had been on Lantus for about 3 1/2 months. Her vet kept raising her dose, and when she was at about 5u, one of the vet techs casually mentioned that she'd never seen a cat on such a high dose. I started researching and found this place.

I started Maddie over at 1u bid and gradually increased her dose. When we got back up around 5u, Jojo urged me to have Maddie tested for acromegaly. The test returned a positive result. Shortly after the diagnosis, we heard about a study being done by Dr. Lunn and Dr. LaRue and Colorado State University. In October 2008, Madison and I went to CSU for Madison to have stereotactic radiosurgery. You can read about our great adventure by clicking the link in my signature.

Unfortunately, Maddie's kidneys were failing and she was becoming very sick by the spring of 2009. On April 6, 2009, one year to the day after we started posting in Lantus Land, and just 5 days after her 14th birthday, Maddie crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

She was a truly amazing kitteh with awesome tortitude. I think of her all the time and miss her terribly. I am thankful for all the great friends that I made here as a result of her, though. :smile:

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I miss seeing you around these parts. (And didn't realize Maddie was a tortie. You are welcome to take up residence in my condo with Gabby - another tortie - any time.)

3. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Joan :smile:

Thanks for posting Maddie's story, I always love to hear it.

4. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Hello!

I like this Old-timers thing, lots of names and kitties pictures I haven't seen or heard in a while. Well now I do go in the pool sometimes...... I keep looking for a few others today, but it's almost dinner, TV, and bedtime for me so I'll have to catch uop tomorrow. Nice of you to drop in today!

5. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Joan....I miss you.
    Of course Maddie holds such a special place in our hearts. When I was a newbie here I learned so much from your posts. I learned a few other things too but that is for another day. ohmygod_smile

You always have a room in Putty's conday anytime you want to use it. :YMHUG:

6. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

ooh. ((Maddie)) We miss you.

Great idea to include the story of how we got here. I ddin't even think of it.

It's always great when I get to chat with you in Maddie's pool!!!

you'll have to let me know how the other stuff works for stinky butt aka Lil Kitty.

7. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

And for newbies who do not know, Maddie's Pool in LLL is named after Maddie :) Stop in sometime and ask for a retelling of the tale of the furry white frogs.

Oh, and Meowzi wants me to remind her Auntie Joan that you can always move into her condo :)

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Maybe we should have a long-timer condo for GAs o:)

Squishy wants Maddie to show him furry white frogs at the Bridge. He hasn't found any yet ;-)

9. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Joan....that was quite an adventure you and Madison had! I enjoyed reading all abut your trip and
    the treatment....Madison was a very special Kitty and i know that you must miss her terribly...
    ((Joan)) Thank you so much for sharing your story! :YMHUG:

10. Greg and Carmelita (GA)

Greg and Carmelita (GA) Member

Hey Joan, nice to 'see' you!

11. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Hi Joan!

I love reading Maddie's story again. She overcame so many obstacles put in her way, only to keep on truckin'. She was one truly amazing kitty,

I know you miss her still terribly...we here in LL miss her, too. She was one of the very 'special ones'. I still remember the day she died and how incredibly shocked and saddened all of us were here. She leaves a large void.

Thanks for posting and reminding us of her courage and amazing spirit, which will forever live on here in LL.

And I remember how much she loved her nanners... :D

Judith and Thomas (GA)

12. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

((Joan))

Thank you for sharing Maddies story with us... She was such a loved and courageous kitty!
    She overcame so many obstables in her life and we all rooted for her amazing accomplishments.. even her froggie escapades :lol:

So glad you are here Joan.. you bring so much to this board!

13. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Hi Joan!

Every time one of the kitties here play with a nanner, I think of you and Maddie and introducing LL to its catnip of choice.

14. karen and splash (ga)

karen and splash (ga) Member

Hey there buddy!!!! Glad to see you make an appearance today.....not like we don't talk otherwise, but it's nice to have another understanding bean in NW Indiana who gets it.
    :dizcat :RAHCAT :dizcat :RAHCAT :dizcat :RAHCAT :dizcat :RAHCAT

bcatrun_gif bcatrun_gif bcatrun_gif bcatrun_gif bcatrun_gif

15. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by our condo today, Joan, and for opening one for yourself. I've always appreciated your visits and insights.

16. Juanita & Chika (GA)

Juanita & Chika (GA) Member

this is a great idea, so nice to "see" you!

17. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I am thankful for your friendship too. :smile: It's not that we don't miss ALL of the LL kitties who go ahead, but Maddie truly was one of the most special.

18. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

JOAN!! We miss Maddie so much--But it's always nice to see a post from you on our condos..
    Newbies can get a lot of knowledge from the oldies stories..You gave so much to us here--furry white frogs, etc..and Joan -It's not your fault :lol: :lol: :lol: Hugs From us & Thanks...

19. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I love that you opened a condo, Joan, and I love seeing you here. Maddie was truly one of a kind, and an icon in LL lore. You should go on a cross-continent trip, because you have many condos open to you. Bear will open a hide-a-bed in his condo for you any time.

20. Wendi and Milo (GA)

Wendi and Milo (GA) Member

(((Joan))) great to see you here. There should always be a condo in LL for the homeless.

Sweet Maddie forever our hero!!!!

Hugs,
    Wendi & Mighty Thick skulled Milo

21. Sashasmom

Sashasmom Member

Joan, so nice to see you! :smile:
    Sasha was very excited you stopped by.
    (now of course, she is snoring away, but before...verra verra happy!) :mrgreen:

we miss you and sweet Maddie!!

22. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

I LOVE that description of a Torties attitude......my Zoe is full of it, too! Her cardiologist calls her sassy! ;-)

Nice to hear from you.....Maddie was certainly an inspiration. ((Joan))

Sherry & Zoe

23. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Joan, I wondered where you were.

I only mentioned last week how the names have changed in such a few months.
    We sure lost some special and memorable kitties last year. Now they are all playing at the bridge, probably arguing over a nanner :mrgreen:

Not forgetting of course........it's Joan's fault ;-)

24. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Its so good to see you Joan. I think of Maddie and her "nanner" all the time. Try and visit more frequently. You are part of the backbone of LL.

25. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Oh so glad to see you here. Just yesterday I was wondering where you got to. Missed you!

26. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

So good to see you Joan! Hope things are going well for you (and you can always come stay with me if you're homeless).

27. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

joan, i'm so glad you stopped by! miss you as a regular in LL these days.
    there's no one to blame any more! haha_smiley

28. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Joan,
    Good to see your name again! Don't know if you have been keeping up but Buddy was finally dx'd as IAA.

Thanks for your help and guiadance in the beginning!

Jan and Buddy

29. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

Personally, I never cared for Joan much.

haha_smiley

Maddie's story is an amazing one and I encourage all acrokitty and non-acrokitty beans to read it. Joan and Maddie's big adventure was such a learning experience for all of us. Watching from this side and how exciting it was when we finally read the updates saw the pictures. I heart Madison and think of her often.

And....if memory serves, I think those white, furry frogs also had tails. :D

30. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

aww, condo for the homeless, you're never homeless joan, all of LL is your home forever.
    maddie left a larger than life impression on LL forever too. wings_cat

don't worry kate, there is a special section at bridge for diabetic cats and then there is a section there where the LL GA cats hang out together. a place where there is unlimited illegal snackus and nanners everywhere and yes even the occasional white furry frog....with tails.
    they are happy and every whim met while they wait, never fear. far too special not to be. rb_icon

31. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The day Madison passed, was the first really big blow I felt here on LL. I didn't feel like posting for days, and thought of you and her for days. I was fairly new and didn't know you well, but that's how much she was loved.
    Thanks for sharing, and coming today. You are missed Joan.

And, it's not your fault anymore.

32. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i think that's a capital idea!
    even when kitties become GAs we still want to hear about them and their beans. really missed you around here, joan. :(

33. lynn and bear (ga)

lynn and bear (ga) Member

Godmother Joan! Awww, I love hearing from you. Just two days ago I was getting fishy flakes for this bear at the pet store and I saw that they had nanners (they hadn't carried them before). The first thing that popped into my head was Maddie protecting her precious nanner so I got them for my cats. I hope you are doing well. :)

34. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

It's so glad to see you Joan. Maddie was one in a million and will never be forgotten.

35. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

(((Joan))) So good to see you!
    I soo miss Maddie's condos!!! Her stories were the bestest!
    --- we love her always!

36. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

And Joan - we're thankful to Maddie for bringing you to us.

Her spirit lives on through you - and in every other tortie with the known tortitude - I have one - I know.

Hugs,

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

37. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Joan!!! Where the heck have you been? Are you gonna be back more often?

We miss you tons :cry: :cry: :cry:

Caryl&Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.