Confused about progress / questions

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Ellys Mom, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Ellys Mom

Ellys Mom New Member

Since Ellys diagnosis, we have been working with the vet to find his "ideal dose" of insulin. He is a tricky stick for blood sugars so I've been doing the best I can to compile numbers. Based off his curve at the vet and his home curves, the vet has been adjusting his dose. (1 unit, to 2 units, to 1.5 and now back to 1)

Based off what I've read here, I almost feel uncomfortable shooting with numbers below 150, but the vet wants a new curve on one unit in a week. His numbers have definitely been going down but does that just mean the diabetes is being controlled? Should I be withholding shots? If I'm giving a dosage that's too much.. does his kitty body have to work harder to regulate the sugars on his own?

Thank you for your help. I'm still new to this and figuring everything out.

2. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

my guess, your feeling is right, you may be able to reduce the dosage

I'm going to tag Linda, who has been an enormous help to me in analyzing what the spreadsheet shows and pointing out what's going on in Catcat
    which is always, as they say, a puzzlement

@MrWorfMen's Mom

3. Ellys Mom

Ellys Mom New Member

It sure is a puzzlement! The only thing I can conclude from his spreadsheet, is that he really doesn't like the vet office :p Unfortunately I don't know how receptive our current vet would be if we want to take dosages into our own hands :(

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Looks like the majority of Ellys' BG readings have been within normal range for the last week on the 1u dose of insulin. Some are a little higher than we'd like to see them for a cat in remission but overall, his numbers are very encouraging.

With Vetsulin you don't want Ellys dropping below 90 because Vetsulin works quickly and can cause sharp drops in BG so I would caution you to re test Ellys 30 minutes to an hour later when you get readings in the 90s to ensure he isn't continuing to drop more. If you get a number below 90, feed Ellys and again, retest in Getting a few random tests in the +3 to +5 timeframe would agive you a better idea of how low Ellys is going and how long the insulin is lasting for 30 minutes to ensure he isn't continuing to drop.

From the PMPS tests you've done, it looks like he is getting good duration out of the insulin. I definitely would not give insulin if BG at pre-shot is under 200 on your pet meter until you get some more data during the middle of the cycle. Many cats tend to go lower at night so I would also recommend grabbing a test before bed at night or around +2 or +3 post shot if that occurs earlier than bedtime. Also try to get a pre-shot test before every shot because you could potentially be giving insulin at too low a BG without that test and BG could be dropping to dangerous levels without your knowledge.

Ellys is looking pretty good but that would make me more cautious about missing those pre-shot tests and giving insulin for pre-shots below 200.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  5. Ellys Mom

Ellys Mom New Member

Thank you! That is massively helpful. We are going to find a day this week to do a more complete set of readings and hopefully get a better picture.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

A favour to ask.......can you rename your spreadsheet "Elly's Spreadsheet" or something with his name on it? When we are supporting more than one kitty at any given time, we might have several spreadsheets open and it's much easier to ensure we're looking at the right spreadsheet if there is a clear identifying name on the SS. You can just click your mouse on the current "Copy of........." and a box will appear around it and you can type in the new name. Whether that will alter your link in signature or not, I am not sure but if it does, that can be fixed. Thanks.

7. Ellys Mom

Ellys Mom New Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    You were right, his BG dropped even further (to 75) - 3 hours post shot. We are still gathering numbers. Curious what the vet will suggest. I wonder how he would do on a .75 dose. It's confusing to me that on 2 units his numbers are so similar! I'll take this as a good sign that maybe the change in diet is working as well.

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Wow! Yes I would reduce the dose to 0.75u immediately. I see you shot 1u tonight on a pre-shot under 200. I'd make sure to monitor him tonight with a test +2 or latest +3 so you can intervene if he is dropping below 90. If he is dropping fast and/or a lot, give him a bit of higher carb food, preferably wet food to slow him down. If you don't have higher carb wet food, then mix a drop of honey or karo into his low carb wet food and retest to ensure his BG has come up and is staying up.