Confused & Need Advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by HannahLogan312, Jul 27, 2022.

1. HannahLogan312

HannahLogan312 Member

Still trying to get my cat regulated. On 7/17/22 we found out she had been sneaking some of her brothers food and immediately took away that food so she would no longer be getting into it.At that time she was on 1.75 U - once we took that away her morning numbers were really low - 7/19 she was 124 so I waited 1.5 hours until she rose to over 200 and gave her 1 U. The following day almost the same thing happened I probably should have immediately gone down to 1.5 but after the second time i reduced to 1.5 U. The next day before PMPS she got a 144 so again I waited and continued with the 1.5 as the lowest number I had gotten that day when testing was 104. The following day I had carpal tunnel surgery and was only able to get those two morning tests, I know it's not ideal but there wasn't anything i could do about it. The day after I tested and her number was 83 so I'm sure she dropped very low that night - i waited two hours and retested and she was at 201 so I dropped her down to 1 U. Now for the last four days her numbers have been high and quite flat. I'm not sure what I should do from here or if it's time to switch. I know about maybe 1.5 months ago you said give it three months of methodical dose changes which would mean try Prozinc until about 9/1/22. Any helpful advice is appreciated at this point. I'm not sure if she's just bouncing badly from all those lows or if she isn't getting enough insulin.

Thanks

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would hold the 1.25U for now, though if you're concerned about ability to test I would stick with 1U until you're more recovered. Whatever.you choose, hold for at least a week.

We can try to tweak the food schedule/carb amount a bit, in the hopes of slowing down those big midcycle drops. She is just bouncing, her nadirs are pretty good most cycles. She would have cleared a bounce by now,.so it does look like nadir is creeping up a bit.

Something to consider, and sorry if we've discussed before, we do occasionally see that the dry kibble - even though it's low carb - can act like a higher carb food. So it may be worth trying to reduce the DE and see if it helps. Keep in mind it may take a week or two to see full effects of a change.

3. HannahLogan312

HannahLogan312 Member

Okay I’ll hold the 1.25 for a full week and see what happens unless for some reason she drops very low again. I do think yesterday she finally cleared the bounce. Trying to get her to eat more wet and less kibble I a constant battle but I still persistently try every day to increase wet - a little harder when recovering from surgery but definitely still trying.
    Thanks for your advice!

FrostD likes this.