? Control Solution for BGMs (Ascensia Contour next ONE)?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sprkl, Apr 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprkl

Sprkl Member

My apologies in advance is the post turns into a non-fiction novella.

Are members here using Control Solution with their meter/strips?

We managed to pickup our BGM and test strips to run our first ever Glucose Curve on Mouse. After unboxing and setting up the BGM, I found something on page 33 of the manual stating that we should perform a control test before using the meter for the first time or after opening a new bottle of test strips. Since we would be doing both, it seemed to make sense. The problem is...there was no Control Solution included in the box (shown as a `kit'). The front of the box has a yellow banner showing `New'. Hmmm...I wonder what's new?

I found an unboxing video on You Tube from last summer, showing someone with this same unit (without `New' on the box) and sure enough, their `kit' contained the solution, along with 10 test strips (also missing from our box).

I took the liberty of contacting Ascensia Diabetes Care this morning and was pleasantly surprised to actually reach a human (two in fact). I conveyed my issue to the first human that I/we had no idea that we a). needed any type of Control Solution, b). that said solution was not included with the `kit'.

The person that I was speaking with was marginally sympathetic and offered to send me a complimentary bottle, which would take a couple of weeks to receive. When I explained that we don't have two weeks to wait before we test our beloved Mouse, he indicated that their products are not approved for use with non-humans. I said that I understand their policy but that I also understand that human care givers are using these devices for their non-human members of their family (perhaps plants excluded, of course). When I mentioned that we are at least 45 minutes away from the nearest pharmacy, this has greatly impacted our plans to generate the Glucose Curve today! At that point, I asked to be transferred to a supervisor.

The supervisor apologized ad nauseam and seemed to fully understand my frustration with the lack of clarity in the `New' packaging. I asked "What is new", but did not get much of an answer, other than to say that they no longer include the Control Solution because of the shelf life. It's worth noting that they also no longer include the 10 test strips...perhaps for the same reason?

Here's where it gets good...

I called the pharmacy where we purchased the kit and strips, to inquiry if they had the Control Solution in stock. The person didn't seem to understand what it is that I was looking for and placed me on hold to ask the pharmacist. She returned to the line to say that according to the Ascensia rep, the CS is no longer recommended, which is why they no longer stock the product.

AAAARRRGGGH!!!! Really? Shouldn't Ascensia, at the very least, update their online PDF manual for their products (the meter and the test strips) to share this `New' information to, in essence, revise page 33 of the manual (at least the PDF)? I suspect the answer is NO, because it's clear that they still want to sell the CS!

It's obvious that what's `New' is that they've gotten cheap...THAT'S what's `New'. But...they've also made what is an already stressful situation even more stressful. Now I need to decide if I'm going to keep this product, which will require ongoing financial support of this company because of having to purchase their strips...or return everything and give our business to another company. Fortunately, Mouse is doing great (and has been for many days now). Pretty much normal water/urine and is very social, vocal, playful. I should also mention that we have not yet administered (nor procured) any insulin yet. We simply wanted to provide numbers to our vet so that she can determine our next step.

Thanks again for reading.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Reason for edit: Correction
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Bump by the way Sprkl is from Canada

3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

All the shenanigans with what the manufacturer is doing (or not doing) about control solutions and if they are even needed, I suppose you could do it the old fashioned way and poke yourself. If the test is coming up in a normal range, then I'd say it is working!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Sprkl

Sprkl Member

Thank you.

I've since called the pharmacy back and spoke with the pharmacist directly. He stated that they haven't stocked/sold any Control Solution in a very long time. He said that it's really no longer needed. Great! Now, if Ascensia would only update their manual to prevent the next neurotic feline care giver from having a heart-a-stroke when they discover that darn page 33 in the manual. LOL!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

FWIW, I used the Contour meter when it was the Bayer Contour. It may still be Bayer here in the US. I never used a control solution and I was testing back in 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.