Correlation with pyometra / surgery and diabetes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lizzee, Jan 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzee

Lizzee Member

Hi all,

I wanted to get some members advice on the above topic. Baby Shurshishka was a feral kitty I found in December of 2010 when she was just a kitten. I took her in because she was in my building lobby all by herself, and her mom was nowhere to be found. I didn't spay her for about 10 years because I was a student at the time and couldn't afford it. So last year, when I was finally working a full-time job I dropped the $1,000 necessary to get her spayed, I couldn't stand the howling anymore and was at my breaking point.

I drop her off, and a couple of hours later I get the call... My vet starts with "she's ok, but we found something unusual..." It just about gave me a heart attack. As it turns out, she already had pyometra! We thankfully caught it early, and started her on antibiotics. The vet also sent pictures which was pretty cool. Months later, she develops diabetes. My crock vet (another one, not the one that did the surgery) said that in her experience, she's seen a link in some cases of pyometra and diabetes. I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions about the correlation of surgery and diabetes, maybe the surgery was just so stressful on her body that her pancreas just said "peace out?"

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have never heard of a cat in this forum having pyometra since I jointed 20 years ago. I am surprised about the $100o for a normal spay if that was the prive. If that was price w/pyometra then that price is reasonable.
    I adopted a cat that was breeder cat (spayed late in life) as an untreated diabetic. She developed mammary cancer so look out for that too.

3. Lizzee

Lizzee Member

Hi Larry, thanks for the advice. We will be sure to get her check ups scheduled regularly.

$1000 was the total price. It was around $300 for the full blood panel and $700 for the actual surgery itself, they didn't charge us more due to the pyometra. This is also in Canadian dollars so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. They wanted a full blood panel and charged more due to her age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.