Could cat grass be causing issues with IBD?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hellolucy, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellolucy

hellolucy Member

Lucy has had bouts of pancreatitis, UTI, and suspected IBD the past few months along with being diabetic (although her history of pancreatitis goes back several years - this most recent UTI, however, was her first ever). I stopped growing/giving her a cat grass mix about a month ago. The vet also changed her food to the Royal Canin venison to try to get her flares under control. I'm not sure if it's all just coincidental timing with her UTI clearing up and the food change, but she is almost a different cat recently. Plays so much more, is not so bloated, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on if cat grass can exacerbate IBD symptoms, leading to a domino effect? I thought it would help, she rarely eats it and throws it up, although does occasionally. Just thinking/brain storming...

2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

First, I personally wouldn’t feed her the Royal canon because is higher than 10% carbs. I believe 12 or 13%. It was recommended to Minnie as well and I fed it to her for a while then stopped. I’d look at other novel protein options out there like ziwi peak. I know when Minnie eats regular grass it makes her throw up and I can see the i digested pieces of it in the vomit. I wouldn’t recommend it, especially if it makes her vomit. With the IBD/diabetes combo, you want to minimize the vomiting. Is she on any anti nausea meds, like ondansetron or Cerenia?

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I had to pull the cat grass from my IBD girl, it caused her to vomit. But she's fine with fresh catnip. :)

hellolucy likes this.
  4. hellolucy

hellolucy Member

Ah, it sounds like my suspicions about the grass were right! I think I will just have to keep up with not giving it to her (but maybe catnip now!) anymore to avoid exacerbating anything. She isn't on Cerenia currently (she is really good eater and doesn't vomit regularly enough) but I do have it on hand for pancreatitis episodes.

Yes, I definitely think it's about time to switch her food over! I had mentioned the carb count to the vet being concerning and they said to wait until her other issues had cleared up before switching so think I have the green light now, thank goodness! She LOVED the ZiwiPeak venison, it's just so dang expensive :blackeye: But my wallet has gotten used to the Royal Canin price so isn't much of a change, and will probably save in medical bills in the long run....

I am going to give this a try, thank you for the recommendation! Didn't even think of using catnip instead and I know she chews on the grass like crazy when it was around, so am sure she will enjoy it. Plus, she'll feel great :woot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.