Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casey1769

Casey1769 Member

Myself and 2 others in my home are covid positive, how likely is my cat to get infected? I’ve seen a bunch about it online.. I’m sanitizing and not giving him too much attention just Incase

2. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Probably not super unlikely as we know cats are susceptible to Covid. However, the cats that have been found to have contracted it have only had very mild, non-bothersome symptoms so it's almost certainly not going to be a big issue for your cat even if he does pick it up from you.

Casey1769 and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

manxcat419 and Casey1769 like this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Casey1769 -

Very sorry to hear you and your family members tested positive. Sending prayers for you all to shake it off as quickly as possible, and for Nugget to stay free of it. :bighug:

Is there a room in the house that you could use to keep him sequestered for a suitable isolation period, set up with a feeding station and litter box?

Some off-the-cuff suggestions:

- Keep Nugget's contact hours with you restricted for the recommended isolation period.
    - Do all the usual human hygiene stuff: wear a mask and gloves when preparing his food, handling his bowls, litter box stuff, checking his BG, etc.
    - Let fresh air circulate in the house.

If you don't have a room you could keep him in, perhaps getting a kitty playpen for him might be another idea (come in various sizes, available on Amazon or eBay). It would minimise the opportunities for him to come into contact with other surfaces in the house and could help him with kitty social distancing?

IMG_20160218_162756.jpg

IMG_20160218_163535.jpg

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Reason for edit: Grammar.
    manxcat419 likes this.
  5. Casey1769

Casey1769 Member

Thank you!

manxcat419 likes this.
  6. Casey1769

Casey1769 Member

7. Critter Mom

@manxcat419 -

April, it's lovely to 'see' you! How are you keeping? I think of you very often and always wonder how you're doing. :bighug:

Mogs

8. Casey1769

Casey1769 Member

Thank you! I don’t really have any areas besides shared areas and the bathroom which is where the litter box is for him and my other kitty(he hates the bathroom haha) but okay! I’ve been refraining from much physical contact, using disinfectant spray/germ x but I will and sure to use my face mask (I need to get gloves ASAP) when feeding and checking his BG levels. I’ll look Into some kitty isolations but anything thats most play pens he will pee in

manxcat419 and Critter Mom like this.
  9. Critter Mom

That's why God gave us pee pads! ;) Cats. :banghead:

Fingers 'n' paws crossed he'll be OK. (((Nugget)))

Mogs

Casey1769 and manxcat419 like this.
  10. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Hi Mogs!

It's lovely to see you here too! I am OK, I think. As we know, we never really get over the loss of our extra special cats, but life goes on and I'm still here. I just haven't had much of an online presence this year - I started my final externship for my degree only days before Covid first became news and right before we were locked down here. The whole thing has been a mess...and an externship that should have taken maybe 4-6 months is still ongoing because non-emergency treatment came to a screaming halt, then my initial contract for a specific externship finished, and it was only in September that I managed to find somewhere I could really settle into a job and focus on getting the rest of it done. I've had to change sites twice and everything is taking way longer than it should. But I'm getting fairly close to being finished now which should free up a bit more time for me...it's difficult to be fully active online when you're doing a 40 hour week and another 30-40 hours writing up everything you've done that week in detail. But, on the positive side, I've managed to stay well which is a big deal at the moment for all of us, and these current issues will pass as they always do.

And how are you? I often try to look in on here and see who's online and if there's anyone I know about...but most of the time I'm just so tired that I either don't get around to it or only have a few minutes to look at a couple of posts. I really miss everyone here and the discussions that I've always enjoyed being involved in. But I know I have to be patient and wait to get back to a more normal routine in a couple of months after school is finally all done. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.