Crazy high numbers

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy & MiddieMittens, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Kathy & MiddieMittens Member

I dont know whats going on with my kitty we were doing so well and now shes in the high 300s ugh. Sometimes this is so frustrating. I currently am giving her 1u x2 but im wondering if shes still throwing out high numbers by day 4 or 5 to increase agian back up to 1.5. I was getting pretty good blue numbers when she was there. Any ideas??

Ps. Its snowed a bunch here so im wondering if my neighbor has food out agian but she will be inside alot now because its freezing.

Thanks guys.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

If Mittens is getting into food being left out by your neighbour, you really can't be raising doses based on assumptions. Part of getting a diabetic cat regulated is controlling their food intake. You also don't have any mid cycle or night tests for the last couple of days which means Mittens could be dropping lower than you are seeing whch again makes it a bit dicey to be raising the dose without knowing what's happening on the current dose.
    Is there any way you can talk to your neighbour about the food and if the neighbour is home, have them watch for Mittens and try to keep her out of the food? Maybe with the freezing weather, it would be a good time to try to get Mittens used to being an indoor only kitty. You can leash train her and take her out for strolls in the better weather.

3. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Her being indoors is not an option she would kill herself getting out. Ok ill have to make a vet appt then. Ill get some mid cycles today. And i dont know what the point of treating her if shes never going to be regulated anyways.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

I hope I am not interpreting your post correctly. It sounds like you are going to give up on Mittens. That is not what I was suggesting at all. Neither did I say you would never get her regulated but if she is pilfering food elsewhere, it certainly makes things more difficult. If you can keep her BG under reasonable control, she can live a long healthy life for years to come. I'm simply suggesting that you attempt to get a little more control IF possible. I fully realize your neighbour may not be willing or able to monitor or willing to stop putting food out. I also realize that some cats are going to go out no matter what. We all work within our circumstances and do the best we can.

You suggested Mittens will be inside a lot more now because of the weather so I'd make the best of that time to try to get her numbers down.

5. Kathy & MiddieMittens

No im trying the best i can but everyone always says she needs to be indoors and she had physically hurt her self trying to get out the window before so i think shed be way more stressed inside. I have tryed it before when she had surgery on her tail 14 days locked up was not fun for her.

I did get her a gps collar so i can find her when shes missing which will help so im not skipping doses when shes mia. And maybe this will help me figure out were she may be getting food.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

I know we can sometimes sound like broken records and those of us whose kitties don't go out unaccompanied, don't always appreciate how difficult it can be to try to keep a kitty accustomed to roaming, indoors. The GPS collar is a brilliant idea! If you are able to find her when necessary, that helps immensely! :)

Kathy & MiddieMittens likes this.
  7. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Yes it will im very excited about it and then im going to tell my neighbors to stop feeding my cat its doing her more harm than good

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.