Creating a signature - acronym meanings?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chris and Miles, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Hi all,

Quick question. I am trying to better set up my signature and I have no idea what these acronyms mean:

(From link)
    Diet: "LC"
    Dosing: "TR" or "SLGS"
    "DKA"
    "Acro", "IAA"

Could anyone please explain? I am still pretty new and pretty confused here and to be honest I wish these were all explained with the text detailing how to create a signature.

2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

LC is Low Carb.
    MC is Medium Carb.
    HC is High Carb.

TR is tight regulation, it's something you'll decide on. Either TR or SLGS - start slow go slow. The approach to dosing and testing is different, TR demands more of the owner.

DKA is diabetic keto acidosis, when a kitty's bloodsugar had been too high too long, not enough insulin, infection and so on. It's serious and life-threatening.

Acro and IAA is diseases which makes the cat require a larger dose of insulin.

There's actually a dictionary to this site! :oops:
    I'll find you a link.

GA after people's names, means "gone ahead" their kitty is no longer here.

Chris and Miles and Critter Mom like this.
  3. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Chris and Miles and Critter Mom like this.
  4. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Chris and Miles likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

LC / MC / HC: Low carb, medium carb, high carb (food)

TR: Tight Regulation dosing method for Lantus and Levemir (see Dosing Methods sticky from the Lantus board).
    SLGS: Start Low, Go Slow dosing method for Lantus and Levemir (ditto).

DKA: Diabetic ketoacidosis - a complication of diabetes (cats throw high levels of ketones, metabolism goes haywire, requires emergency veterinary treatment - see FDMB ketone primer)

Acro: Acromegaly - an endocrine issue where cat's body produces too much growth hormone (a 'high dose' condition where cat may need unusually high dose of insulin).

IAA: Insulin Autoantibodies - a condition where the cat's body produces antibodies which attack the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas (another 'high dose' condition).

Mogs

Chris and Miles and SashaV like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.