Cross post - dental healing effect on BSL

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MamaMug, Apr 30, 2019.

1. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Hey all! Sorry to be a bother but I'm hoping to pick someone's brain about the effect on blood sugar levels while our guy is healing from some major dental work. I posted on the main forum as it's a general question but haven't received a response.

I know once he's healed and the infections are gone that his numbers will likely go down, but I've noticed the gal between nadir and preshot are lower and he's running kind of flat. I'm not sure if this is related to his healing or our vet recommended OTJ trial. I have a suspicion that it's an indication his pancreas needs a little more support, so based on that instinct we've started drop dosing and noticing some slightly better numbers. Perhaps both aspects are playing a part?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

If he had a lot of dental work (extractions?), it could take a little while for the swelling to go down and really heal. And inflammation definitely can raise BG. I think giving a tiny insulin support is fine while he's running higher, and keep monitoring (as you are) so that if the numbers drop as he heals you'll catch it. Looks like he had a good PS tonight, so hopefully he's on the mend.

3. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

I forgot to update dosing for tonight. We skipped as I'm not super comfortable sitting below 120 atm given my proclivity to sleep through alarms. He had 12 extractions! He's just now starting to play and eat well again. He loves textured foods but I kept him on pates for a week as a precaution.

Djamila likes this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yikes! Poor baby! Please tell me they gave you some pain meds for him?

5. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

They gave us 3 days worth of onsior 12mg which seemed to help. By the time that regimen was completed he seemed to be doing a bit better. I haven't popped open his mouth to take a look for fear of hurting him, but judging by his clinical signs he seems to be healing well. We go back in on Friday for a checkup and to make sure there's no remaining infection and to ensure his sutures are dissolved.

Djamila likes this.