Curve today

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy & MiddieMittens, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Kathy & MiddieMittens Member

@Deb & Wink so far and +4 still have yellow numbers with the dose decrease. How many more tests should i do? Thanks

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Curve is every 2 hours. So test at +6, +8, +10 and +12 (PMPS).

What the full curve helps us with, is seeing how soon Middie rises towards the end of the cycle. How soon and how fast. So testing every 2 hours for 12 hours helps us to see that.

Middie needs to go back up to 1 U. I could already tell that days ago. There is nothing in Middie's numbers in the last month that said the dose should be reduced to 0.75U. She hasn't been down into the green range numbers, <100, since January 28th.

I know that someone not on this message board, someone in another group suggested you decrease the dose. Because they thought Middie "looked better on a lower dose in a previous month." Not the facebook group associated with this message board. Another facebook group.

That is not the case, that the dose should have been lowered. Don't know what Prozinc dosing protocol that group uses, or even if that facebook group has a dosing protocol for Prozinc. Could not find one.

You are going to keep getting conflicting advice like this from different groups. Ask yourself which group you want to follow and stick with that one. It's only going to be confusing to you and not helpful if you keep getting two different sets of information.

3. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Okay ill be able to get up to pm shot time but then shes gonna be dying to go go outside its almost 60 here today! Heat wave. I knew the advice she gave was wrong thats why i came here. And asked here also i am just nervous about going higher than 1u because 1.5 seemed to be alot for her so maybe i can find a dose thats perfect for her.

Deb & Wink and Juls and Billy like this.
  4. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

You're in the right place for good feline diabetes info!

I agree with Deb. Try taking the dose up to 1 unit again and wait 3-6 12-hour cycles to see how Mittens does. After that, if you still aren't seeing any blues or greens mid-cycle, you might try increasing the dose to 1.25. No need to jump up to 1.5 all at once. Dosing changes often do best if you adjust by .25 increments, and wait a 3-6 cycles to see how the kitty adjusts to the new dose.

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

If someone asks you to lower or raise the dose, they should be able to provide reasoning behind that to back up their assertion.

If I forget to ever do that, please remind me. I should be able to say "why" and you should be able to ask more if the explanation was not sufficient or understandable. Or even if you need more of an explanation.

Often, there is no "perfect" dose that is going to work every day, or every week. Doses do change over time. For reasons including something as simple as your cat ate a bit more food one day, or the carb content of the food that was eaten was a bit more or less. Perhaps your cat got to go outside for a longer period of time, or the weather was awful and she had to stay inside and was not as active.

We do the best we can with our diabetic cats and with your very, very full work schedule and several part time jobs plus your dog trials, it's very difficult for you to manage the diabetes for Middie. I just hate to see her in those high pinks at pre-shot time, when I know a bit more insulin could help to bring those higher BG levels down a bit more.

That little bit more of insulin does not have to be a lot. We dose by smaller increases and decreases all the time. There is even the option to give what we call a "fat" dose or a "skinny" dose. Only increase by 0.25U for now. Back up to 1U at the moment. I would not increase to 1.25U or even to 1.5U. We and you most especially you, need to see how Middie does on this dose increase.

I know how hard it is for Middie not to be able to go outside. Those 60+ degree days can be rare in New England too. Had to run too many errands myself today, and did not get to spend much time outside myself. I would have much preferred to spend an hour or so out in my perennial gardens, trimming back some of the dead foliage and simply enjoy walking around outdoors. But life has other responsibilities and I had to attend to some of them today. It's why I'm so late getting back to people this evening.

6. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Curve all done mostly yellows and some pinks but i definitely think an increase is the way to go will try to do another curve Thursday or friday to see how the 1u is holding up.

I love my kitty and wants whats best for her and hope to get this undercontrol but if its not then so be it she gets shots forever.

I told my mom not to give her the chicken because i was doing a curve but she had already givin it to her before i could tell her no.

Oh yea i forgot to mention shes been off dry food for a few days now has been going okay, i do give her some kibble as treats but not to much or sometimes when she refuses to eat but that hasnt happend yet!

Juls and Billy and Deb & Wink like this.
  7. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

It's absolutely okay to feed as usual when doing a curve. The only time you need to withhold food is 2 hours before injection time.