Curve

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Logan & Sandy, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

i ran a curve for my Logan on 12/13 and it was as follows: 651am amps 380. 945am +2 gb329. 1138am +4gb208. 143pm +6gb127. 349pm +8gb183. 548pm +10gb325. 703PM gb361PMPS. so then the next day 12/14 the vet ran a curve using the relion and the alpha trax ( I asked them to give me numbers for both)and it was: amps 252, +2 206 +4 78 +6 75 and +81 190) they suggested to lower his dosage to 1.0.. So I did and the next day his AMPS on 12/15 was 339 i couldn't test thru out the day as i had to work.. the nexxxt morning 12/16 i tested him AMPS and he was higher, like 418.. my question is Is he bouncing still.? and i wonder if maybe he's at too low of a dose? we went from 1.5 down to 1.u of prozinc. thoughts?? (unfortunately i haven't been able to test during the day,, but i hope to this weekend,,). The vet also recommended another curve in 10 days,, this time i plan to do it.. its getting too costly, can a cat bounce in the amps??? i just checked logans bg at AMPS (625AM ca time) and his BG227.. maybe he is bouncing?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Reason for edit: update
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes, a cat can bounce in any cycle. So bouncing in the AMPS cycle or the PMPS cycle is possible.

Logan would have earned AT LEAST a 0.25U dose reduction using our Prozinc dosing methods. So at least a reduction from 1.5U to 1.25U.
    Having said that, more of a dose reduction can be ok sometimes too.
    Won't hurt for him to be on that lower 1U dose that your vet recommended. I do think your vet was right in lowering the dose by 0.5U and not just the 0.25U our guidelines use. Remember, ECID (Every Cat is Different) and you adjust the guidelines for YOUR cat.

If the lower 1U dose turns out to be not enough, it's easy enough to increase the dose again in the future.

Pre-shot BG levels are the last ones to come down. It's why we don't base the dosing on the pre-shot BG numbers, but on the nadirs instead.
    Yes, you only have the cost of the test strips and spending some of your free time to do a curve at home.
    Less stressful for most cats too, so a better picture of what is going on with the BG levels.

You say you can't test during the day, because you are away at work. But some tests in the PM cycle would help fill in some information on the SS, and how Logan is doing in the evening. A "before bed" test is highly recommended.

3. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

Thanks a lot for this.. I really didn’t know that if I tested later ate night if that would really make a difference but I can test tonite around 1030pm which would mean +3 or +4. What we are doing is giving him a fat 1.0 basically a tad over 1.0.. I suspect that he should be 1.25..

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

Thanks a lot for this.. I really didn’t know that if I tested later ate night if that would really make a difference but I can test tonite around 1030pm which would mean +3 or +4. What we are doing is giving him a fat 1.0 basically a tad over 1.0

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes, getting some tests after the pre-shot tests help to put the BG numbers into context. If you only have the pre-shot tests, you don't know how low the insulin is taking your cat's BG later in the cycle.

p.s. Many cats drop lower in the PM cycle too, because they are more active at night, and burn up more glucose to provide them energy for their nighttime antics.

Logan & Sandy likes this.