Dare I hope the cat is in remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HereKittyKittyKitty, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Diagnosed toward the end of August...

Since I changed from Science Diet Diabetes to 9 Lives pates (turkey & giblets, chicken, bacon & liver, and beef flavors), the cat's numbers have pretty much been 60s and 80s (depends on when I get home from work... on time, in the 80s... late, in the 60s. The vet said 2 units of insulin 2 times a day, but only if the cat eats at least 2 tablespoons of food first. Lately, it's been hit or miss whether he eats, so it's hit or miss whether he gets insulin. I've been leaving the food down anyway and he'll eat between 1/3 and 2/3 of the can by the time it's time to get fed again, but it is obvious he's not particularly happy with his food. On the days he doesn't get insulin, his numbers seem about the same as on the days he does.

Unfortunately, the meter can't tell me whether or not I gave the cat insulin, and I just got the spreadsheet up and working, so I don't know which days were which, although most days he did get his insulin, especially early on. This week, though, he hasn't had any insulin in 2 days.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a profile (assuming he eats enough to get insulin, and when I get a chance on a day he doesn't get insulin, repeat the profile.

Given what (incomplete) data is actually on the spreadsheet, dare I hope the cat is in remission?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sure looks like remission to me. Officially your can say OTJ/remission if you have normal BG numbers like you are seeing for two weeks with no insulin.

HereKittyKittyKitty likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. You still want to occasionally test when he is officially OTJ, just to make sure his numbers are still good. Great job.

HereKittyKittyKitty likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Since you don't remember which days you gave insulin and which you didn't, why not just start from 2 days ago (when you're sure he hasn't had any insulin) and start counting from there?

If he can go 2 weeks without insulin and stay in normal numbers, he's officially in remission!! (although he looks pretty darn great now!)

5. HereKittyKittyKitty

Larry and Kitties--

Thank you.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. HereKittyKittyKitty

Lisa and Witn--

Thank you

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. HereKittyKittyKitty