Day 18 no insulin. Not in a strong number set. How often to test?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Charlie M, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie M

Charlie M Member

So, smokey seems ill (kinda disoriented, very slow, off balance, very quiet) when he hits much below 5(90). We couldn't seem to give him a low enough dose to keep him above this. Vet said he could be hyper sensative to hypo, and intolerant of lower BG numbers. So we tried no insulin. We're on day 18. He seems to be holding the BG down well. His is totally full of energy, playing a lot, grooming (has never done this since we adopted him, we had to do it for him), has suddenly completely stopped scratching the furniture?, just seems to feel great!

What should we be doing as far as testing, I'm trying to cut it back, but find I keep wanting to test him still. Should I continue twice a day a bit longer due to being in the higher ranges? Cut back to once a day? Having trouble with this.

Was also wondering how things go if they do relapse...do they jump up suddenly...slowly creep up? Not sure what to be expecting here?

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

We've been otj for some months now, Georges by tend to run in the 80-100 range, I still check daily though I don't panic if I miss a day here And there an when we were on vacation I didn't have the kennels Check him.

Remission can be a deli ate state, dental issues for example can knock kitty out of remission pretty quick, or if the get into HC dry food.
    Whether you test or not I think is down to your comfort level. personally for me that's testing daily. I know others that test every other week or weekly.

Bear in mind that if he slips out of remission the sooner you catch it the better the chance of getting him regulated quickly.

3. Bandit

Bandit Member

Hi,

My Bandit has just relapsed so I've gone (and am going) through both. I think twice a day is plenty. I know with Bandit at some point it seemed......... well..........pointless. He hovered in the high 90s to low 100s, twice a day, every day, for a week or two. Then I cut back to once a day, same results, great numbers every time. Then once a week, seem thing great numbers. After about 3 weeks I didn't even log the numbers in his Spead Sheet. I think I got lulled into a false sense of security at some point.

I tested him two weeks ago and he was fine, 2 days ago he was in the 300s, back to the Doc, and back on the needle yesterday. So it can happen in less than a week and possibly in just a few days. Our Doc said the time frame didn't do any additional damage, but that was just our luck. Next time around (crossing fingers he goes into remission again), I'm not going to test any less than twice a week, once a week at the absolute minimum. And only after a long span of consistent numbers.

Bandit is a tad skittish as his heritage is feral. Testing too often makes his life miserable, and in some cases (after vet visits) gave us unreliable numbers due to the stress it caused him. I thought once a week was good, but in hindsight twice a week is what I feel comfortable with if he went into remission again (crossing toes this time).

I'm no expert, but considering what happened the last few days with me, I thought I'd put my two cents in and contribute something back to the community.

BTW: Get an auto cat feeder or have some one feed Smokey. Go away. I didn't while Bandit was in remission and wish we had.

Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.