Day 3...pmps 215, not sure what to do.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mandy S, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I'm supposed to shoot at 11...her pmps test was 215...not sure if I give the 1 unit like usual or if I should reduce or what?

I picked up her bowl at 8:30, she was meowing and surfing the floor for dog hair when it was about time for her test....poor baby thinks I'm trying to starve her.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Looking at your spreadsheet it looks like day three on Lantus and you haven’t decided on a method to follow. Thus is a totally safe number to shoot with both methods. Get a +1 and +2 and post the results. Do you fave plenty of supplies, test strips, high carb food and Karo if needed? I’m not thinking that you will need either but you want to bd prepared.

3. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I don't know which method, I didn't know about it til yesterday when someone mentioned it on the board, but said I had time to figure it out.

I have her old z/d food that we stopped feeding her...it's 35% carbs...and some Natural Balance chicken dry food that we haven't gotten rid of yet but still in cabinet...don't know what the number is but not low carb I'm sure. I have karo and all the testing strips...

I'll go give her the insulin then. She ate more than she usually does so that might help too. idk?

4. tiffmaxee

5. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I think it was on the facebook page. I'll check after I give the shot.

6. tiffmaxee

Lantus usually kicks in around +2 or +3. ZD is high carb. So you are prepared.

7. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I can't wait til this isn't so stressful and I know what to do and when I need to do it. :confused:

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The general rule is always going to be if she's over 150, SHOOT the scheduled dose.

If she's below 150, stall, DON'T feed and test again in 20-30 minutes. Use that time to post here and make sure your subject line is really clear (like "STALLING!! NEED HELP!!" usually works...LOL) You can also put the link to your post on FB to get more attention if you need to.

We have a tradition here. If someone replies to your post and encourages you to shoot a lower number that you're not used to, they agree to stay online and watch for updates until you are totally comfortable with what's going on. Even if it means staying up all night with you. If they can't, they'll tell you up front that they can't stay on to watch you. Sometimes one person will start watching out for you and then if it gets too late for them, they'll either find someone else with experience to take over, or they'll stay online with you no matter what.

If the number goes up, it's usually going to be fine to go ahead and give the scheduled dose, but it's best to get a +1 and +2 the first few times you shoot a lower than usual number.

As you gain more experience and data, you'll gradually learn to shoot lower and lower pre-shots. I did Tight Regulation with China and once I had that data and understood how her insulin worked and what kind of "food bump" she usually got when I fed her, I gradually lowered her PS to where I'd shoot anything over 50. (feel free to look at her spreadsheets)

9. tiffmaxee

It will get easier. Did you shoot? I don’t see anything on your spreadsheet.

10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes she did, Elise

11. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I did. I just did a +1 and it's 196. I was about a half hour late getting her shot in, and then it took me and my daughter and 3 sticks to get this last test so now it's 15 minutes later...so the times are kind of off...but it's the hour after the shot that counts I guess? So in the morning, do I give her her shot at the normal time?
    I'll try to get a +2

12. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I entered it all in the spreadsheet, but I hadn't closed it out since earlier today, I think it needed to be refreshed. But it should be showing now.

13. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Sissy ate an entire can of this food before her shot. https://weruva.com/product/chicken-duck-turkey-take-a-chance/
    The detailed nutrition info said it's 5.2% carbs. It's more than she's eaten at one time in 3 months. We got it because we know chicken and turkey are okay with her food allergies, so we thought duck might entice her to eat something new and she's never had it before. I somehow missed the dried egg in it! :/ I hope it's not an issue. I did check and the food she was on prior...FF..none of the flavors she ate had egg, so probably didn't contribute to her issues.
    I'm just really glad she ate tonight...she's boycotting the plain chicken now.

14. tiffmaxee

Yes. I see it. Congrats. I would get a shot in another hour. You can shoot either 15 minutes late in the morning and then on time tomorrow night or if over 200 you can shoot at your regular time in the morning. Whenever you are ff schedule due to stalling or for any reason you can shoot an 15 minutes early each cycle until you get back on schedule or 30 minutes every 24 hours.

Mandy S likes this.
  15. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Test an hour from last test. Do not give a 2nd shot.

Mandy S likes this.
  16. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I knew she meant test in an hour. :)

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  17. tiffmaxee

OMG. That goodness. That’s an awful mistake ! So sorry.

18. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Sissy's +2 was 208.

Do you think I need to test more?

Also, my meter has shut off twice now right after I put the strip in. I know it times out if you do it to early so I am careful to do it right before I stick...earlier tonight it shut off right when I needed it not to and the cat used the opportunity to move and wipe it off...then it did it again just now. It's not the battery, so idk if I'm doing something wrong or it's the meter.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  19. tiffmaxee

I think you can call it a night and get some sleep. I think I will do the same. Sorry again.

20. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Oh it's okay, I knew it was a slip.
    Thank you for all the help and helping when it's so late. Sleep well!

21. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

No worries. Given the theme of the thread, your post was clear enough. I just wanted to make sure that Mandy understood. The forum website was wonky at the time. For me, pages were taking minutes to load and posts were taking minutes to upload (I had no other apps or pages open and no other computers were being used in the house). My posts "in conversation" were missing text. And to quote Jennifer Saunders, "the spinning thing keeps spinning."

22. tiffmaxee

@Red & Rover (GA) Thanks. I was having trouble with some conversations and trying to post as well. When I saw that error it really freaked me out. I’m not normally so careless. I was just glad you posted.

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.